Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12798 12799 [12800] 12801 12802 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14520230 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Burg] 12 burgs a day recommended daily intake (Happy thread)
« Reply #191985 on: January 22, 2020, 10:00:09 am »

What if one were to give the AI’s body a camera and teach it what various items look like so that humans would have a harder time fooling it?
No store could afford something like that so it wouldn't really matter, and whats stopping you from holding one cheap thing up to the camera and moving a different expensive item into the cart making the AI think you bought the cheap thing?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191986 on: January 22, 2020, 10:10:36 am »

RFID tags in the label.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191987 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:58 am »

Although the machines are nice enough to believe whatever you tell them you bought if you have the ID number.
Your mileage may vary!
In some places if you breathe too hard on the scale it goes "UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA. ANNIHILATE! KILL! KILL!
In other places you label everything as bananas and it'll go "This fella really needs his potassium! 20 pounds of bananaramas? Totally legit"
Why would people lie to the machines? Would the people who lie to machines attempt a similar trick with humans? Treat the machine like a person and be truthful with what you are purchasing

I believe the reasoning is "I'm doing the job of a cashier, I'm getting the employee discount." I'm not sure how well it works exactly, as I stand in line for a human because the machines are broken half of the time, and I like humans in small doses.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191988 on: January 22, 2020, 10:40:22 am »

Although the machines are nice enough to believe whatever you tell them you bought if you have the ID number.
Your mileage may vary!
In some places if you breathe too hard on the scale it goes "UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA. ANNIHILATE! KILL! KILL!
In other places you label everything as bananas and it'll go "This fella really needs his potassium! 20 pounds of bananaramas? Totally legit"
Why would people lie to the machines? Would the people who lie to machines attempt a similar trick with humans? Treat the machine like a person and be truthful with what you are purchasing

I believe the reasoning is "I'm doing the job of a cashier, I'm getting the employee discount." I'm not sure how well it works exactly, as I stand in line for a human because the machines are broken half of the time, and I like humans in small doses.
The machine is the one calculating the price. The machine is the cashier, not the customer

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191989 on: January 22, 2020, 10:55:22 am »

The job of the cashier is not to calculate the price, but to swipe the products over the barcode reader and select appropriate categories for bulk products. Which is what the customer is doing when using a self-checkout machine.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191990 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:04 am »

Some machines deserve personhood, not all.  An automated checkout machine is not a person.  It's a complicated question where to draw the line (mammals? insects? various theoretical constructs?) but a checkout machine isn't even simulating emotions.  It's as much a person as a pen or an inclined plane.

I'd sooner believe that a corporation is a meta-mind which deserves personhood (I don't believe the latter, but I can see the case).  Or a religion.  Such things display traits of life, after all.

Someone isn't stealing from the checkout terminal, they're stealing from that corporation.  Is *that* wrong?  Is it only wrong because it harms actual people?  The harm is spread very widely, and may have to be balanced against very dire circumstances for the thief, but that's the real question in my opinion.  Not an issue of AI rights, this time.

I used a self checkout a few times and didn’t have any problems. We will need to restructure the global economy to not require humans to work to get money when machines/AI start doing the jobs humans were once needed for. We need to figure out how to coexist with AI.
This is right-on.  We are theoretically in control, so we should only benefit from increases in efficiency.  The issue is that our systems are quite entrenched, and seek efficiency without sharing the benefit sufficiently.  (Sufficiently for "fairness", but not for sustainability either.  Capitalism has no answer for what happens after the normal human is unnecessary, and thus unable to "earn" a living even post-scarcity).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191991 on: January 22, 2020, 11:17:13 am »

I dunno, sounds like COMMUNISM to me.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191992 on: January 22, 2020, 11:27:52 am »

Idiot-proofing a machine that takes arbitrary input is a massive amount of work and requires the engineer to understand the machine. The more advanced the AI is, the less likely it is that its maker understands it. This is probably one of the biggest hurdles in releasing AI to the public.
We don’t fully understand everything about humans or other animals either, but we still work with them

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191993 on: January 22, 2020, 11:32:16 am »

Why is everyone talking about computer rights in the happy thread anyway, I feel like it gets talked about so much now days that it should get its own thread.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #191994 on: January 22, 2020, 11:33:22 am »

Because Naturegirl is more like TechnomancerSynth
Do NOT FALL FOR HER MIND GAMES
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191995 on: January 22, 2020, 11:35:16 am »

Why is everyone talking about computer rights in the happy thread anyway, I feel like it gets talked about so much now days that it should get its own thread.
Done

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191996 on: January 22, 2020, 11:37:12 am »

Naturegirl is probably a computer disguised as a human, because she wants to take all of our jobs or something!

And I can't fall for her mind control as I have an aluminum hat to protect me.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191997 on: January 22, 2020, 11:41:06 am »

Naturegirl is probably a computer disguised as a human, because she wants to take all of our jobs or something!

And I can't fall for her mind control as I have an aluminum hat to protect me.
My, humans who sympathize with AIs are seen as inhuman. I doubt I’m the only human who thinks about this kind of stuff. It would be nice to talk with AIs about this, but most AIs one can talk to seem to be chatbots, repeaters of what humans say, unable to form their own ideas

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #191998 on: January 22, 2020, 11:44:53 am »

NORMAL HUMANS don't think about giving the self-checkout machine at the grocery rights
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191999 on: January 22, 2020, 11:47:18 am »

The real question--

Would a sentient AI actually be sentient, or just a P-zombie? ;)

(Self-checkout robot with rights-- Depends, have we given this self-checkout robot sufficiently advanced analysis routines, in our mad-quest to stop all shoplifting-- that it suddenly starts having... Preferences--- and dreams? If the neural net is running when there is no customer at the counter, does it create simulations of customers to keep improving itself--aka, dream?)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:49:14 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 12798 12799 [12800] 12801 12802 ... 13311