Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12811 12812 [12813] 12814 12815 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14555355 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Burg] 12 burgs a day recommended daily intake (Happy thread)
« Reply #192180 on: February 02, 2020, 03:47:14 pm »

Late post for this, but found my tortoise yesterday. She'd managed to burrow down past a piece of furniture she had no earthly right to be able to burrow past, and wedged herself behind a bunch of hobby supplies. She was cold after 24 hours out of the viv, but warmed up fast and has been eating fine.

Also just got a replacement thermostat for her. Her previous one broke when the heat lamp bulb blew so I was needing to regulate her temperature by manually turning her lamp on and off, which is far from ideal.

Good thing you found her. What furniture did she burrow through?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192181 on: February 02, 2020, 03:51:21 pm »

She crawled through or under a set of cardboard boxes and loose hobby supplies and under a set of wire drawers which have a gap under them about her height, but which was filled with various items. Don't know how she did it without leaving a visible trail of moved items, she's not exactly a narrow girl and there was no unobstructed path to where she wound up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192182 on: February 02, 2020, 06:59:13 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:24:58 am by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192183 on: February 02, 2020, 07:01:18 pm »

Well, since pete is 2 years old and hence I see Peppa Pig almost religiously, I can tell you turtles are apt at escaping, getting lost and climbing trees.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192184 on: February 02, 2020, 07:13:50 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:21:34 am by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192185 on: February 02, 2020, 07:22:45 pm »

English turtles are much more docile than the more militaristic germanic shield-toads
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192186 on: February 02, 2020, 07:54:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:21:38 am by dragdeler »
let

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192187 on: February 02, 2020, 08:32:45 pm »

I think Athena is from Poland, though I'd have to check her papers* to be sure. She's quite a stubborn little thing, barely an hour after being back in her viv she was knocking on the glass to get back out.

I used to have a tall arch of bark in her viv, she loved climbing it but she kept falling off and landing on her back so I took it away. The snake has it now after he lost his log priviledges after knocking over his climbing log so it knocked out his viv door and let him escape.

*Tortoises are regulated to make sure they're not wild caught because that's been a big problem in the past. I've got a certificate with her month and year of birth, city of birth and so on, and the receipt for her stapled to it. Her species is native to Greece and Turkey primarily in case anyone's interested.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #192188 on: February 02, 2020, 08:43:51 pm »

Are there wild tortoises in Poland????
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192189 on: February 02, 2020, 09:09:34 pm »

Are there wild tortoises in Poland????

Not that I'm aware of. Legal pet tortoises either come from private breeders or tortoise farms, in the case of mine I presume the latter. Farms and breeders can be found basically anywhere since you can breed tortoises in entirely artifical conditions, you just have to deal with whatever the breeder side of registering tortoises is like. Farms are a bit more common in places with appropriate weather though.

Poaching wild Hermann's Tortoises from their native habitat to sell is a thing, and tortoises are still one of the more commonly stolen pet reptiles because they have a rather high value for how easy they are to transport and care for.

Pre-post edit: I went and fished out her documents, she was bred in Serbia and registered for commercial purposes in 2016. Serbia is part of her native range, since she's one of the eastern subspecies of Hermann's.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #192190 on: February 02, 2020, 11:10:19 pm »

Actually... you're half wrong. I checked and it turns out there *are* wild tortoises in Poland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_Poland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_pond_turtle

I'm surprised. I assumed the weather would not be turtle-friendly
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192191 on: February 03, 2020, 03:24:54 am »

Actually... you're half wrong. I checked and it turns out there *are* wild tortoises in Poland
I never realised they lived here. How sneaky of them. They must be ninja turtles.

Something I don't understand, that I read on the wiki page (the Polish version) - it says that the turtle breathes air, but it winters burrowed in mud on the bottom of a lake. Now, I get hibernation, but surely, it can't hold its breath for 5 months?

edit: this was actually quite easy to find. When hibernating they 'breathe' through their butts. The more you know...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:34:15 am by Il Palazzo »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192192 on: February 03, 2020, 05:17:50 am »

So, wild Poland turtle appears!

Wild Poland turtle uses breathe through the anus.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #192193 on: February 03, 2020, 05:53:06 am »

Surely they could still just breathe through their mouths? Breathing through the anus just seems unnecessary.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192194 on: February 03, 2020, 06:00:23 am »

Some people talk out their anus, so I don't think its hard to believe that they also breath out it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 12811 12812 [12813] 12814 12815 ... 13312