Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12816 12817 [12818] 12819 12820 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14376654 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: [Burg] 12 burgs a day recommended daily intake (Happy thread)
« Reply #192255 on: February 12, 2020, 10:12:23 am »

There aren't that many orange farms in Sweden, you know
It's your chance to start one. Seize the moment! Become a mogul of Swedish orange juice!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192256 on: February 12, 2020, 10:14:33 am »

What's the 'eco' about it? When it comes to produce, the greatest ecological footprints are (in no particular order) water use, fertilizer use, and fuel use. In theory, using natural fertilizer (which is what they probably mean with the 'eco') will reduce the damage, but if they ship smaller loads in more vehicles, that advantage is lost in fuel use. Often, the most ecological move would be to buy produce from your own country, requiring less shipping.
Going directly from source to destination on a smaller scale should theoretically cut down drastically on food waste, so there's that.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192257 on: February 12, 2020, 11:19:03 am »

I've resigned from my job, I already mentioned that a bit more than a month ago, I just remembered though that I have never used my vacation time. I'm completely maxed out in vacation hours that I've accrued over my years of working. A little foolish, I know, but now that I'm resigning, I get paid for all of those unused hours... that's a big fat check cut out in my name. That really helps for what I imagine will be a while being unemployed, which I intend to be until I straighten myself out and actually get a real life. I just can't stay employed there and expect to rise out of the state of undeath that I exist in.

I hope the remainder of the month goes by well, I set my resignation date for March 1st. I wanted to give them a chance to find a replacement for me, though they haven't yet... perhaps that's really naive on my part, but I quite like my coworkers and I didn't want to stretch out their hours and stress them out because I selfishly need to think of myself.

I'm somewhat worried, I've never quit from a job before, I don't know if there's some legal snag I might run into. I'm probably just being paranoid, cause what could I even do, assuming I still keep my nose clean and just follow through like I said I would in my resignation?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:28:05 am by JoshuaFH »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192258 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:22 am »

I hope the remainder of the month goes by well, I set my resignation date for March 1st. I wanted to give them a chance to find a replacement for me, though they haven't yet... perhaps that's really naive on my part, but I quite like my coworkers and I didn't want to stretch out their hours and stress them out because I selfishly need to think of myself Management can't/won't keep up with the 2 week notice that has long been tradition.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192259 on: February 12, 2020, 06:46:32 pm »

Yeah, depending on what you did, more than likely it'll take a lot longer than 2 weeks to get a replacement.  Still, giving them notice is the right thing to do and doesn't burn bridges.  You may need those references later.  Maybe.  Anyway, hopefully you find something better soon.

On work related topics, I got an unexpected promotion today, so that was really nice.  That said, I've got a coworker who's been asking for more money lately with the threat to quit if he couldn't get more soon, so when I he finds out I got a promotion he's probably going to be a bit miffed... not looking forward to that conversation.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #192260 on: February 12, 2020, 07:26:36 pm »

I also resigned (well... transferred) from my job. I gave them about 10 weeks notice, took them 8-1/2 of those to find someone else to move boxes around that I otherwise would have.

Also, moved into my new house. Moving guys were most excellent, also came under estimate, which is cool and all ‘cause my wife’s is in enough of a high demand profession we get a moving bonus.

Locks were changed this evening, boxes everywhere, but at least we apparently have more space because they were everywhere in our old apartment, and we can at least move unhindered to and from places.

It is also snowing, which means I have to shovel in the morning. Yay for responsibilities.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192261 on: February 13, 2020, 12:44:06 am »

That said, I've got a coworker who's been asking for more money lately with the threat to quit if he couldn't get more soon, so when I he finds out I got a promotion he's probably going to be a bit miffed... not looking forward to that conversation.
Well I mean, no wonder you're the one who got the promotion.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192262 on: February 13, 2020, 04:55:15 am »

Sorry for the double-post, but I've just about finished reading The Shipping News. Wow, what an unexpectedly wonderful book. Certainly took me by surprise. Sad in parts (as all good books are), but also very heartwarming.

I just wanted to make a Happy Thread post about in now, since I know I'll most likely be devo'd when it's over. I wonder if there's a sequel or prequel or summat...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192263 on: February 13, 2020, 08:12:33 am »

That said, I've got a coworker who's been asking for more money lately with the threat to quit if he couldn't get more soon, so when I he finds out I got a promotion he's probably going to be a bit miffed... not looking forward to that conversation.

Sometimes, you don't need words. You can just imply "don't let the door hit you on the way out." It's probably shitty for your coworker, and he might be in the right, but sometimes HR is entertainingly efficient in their assholery.

Sorry for the double-post, but I've just about finished reading The Shipping News. Wow, what an unexpectedly wonderful book. Certainly took me by surprise. Sad in parts (as all good books are), but also very heartwarming.

I just wanted to make a Happy Thread post about in now, since I know I'll most likely be devo'd when it's over. I wonder if there's a sequel or prequel or summat...

Crap, that's a dark story that sounds like it turns out well.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192264 on: February 13, 2020, 09:52:46 am »

The way I worded it was pretty harsh, so I should probably restate it as he was vaguely dissatisfied with the company after some recent layoffs and also found out that despite working for the company for almost as long as me (9 years vs. 11), he was getting paid quite a bit less.  I made a mistake admitting that I think, but we're on friendly and good terms so I did it as a favor.  Oops.

The thing is that when he asked our manager about getting a raise, he was told that there just wasn't any more money.  Since the recent layoffs were financially based, that makes sense.  But then they come along and give me a raise I didn't ask for, so it looks bad.

Still, I guess implying to your manager that you're looking for a new job will do that.  He never came out and said it as far as I know, but it wasn't a particularly strongly guarded secret.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192265 on: February 13, 2020, 09:55:58 am »

Never apologise for sharing salary info with coworkers. It helps reduce pay inequality. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #192266 on: February 13, 2020, 10:30:30 pm »

Never apologise for sharing salary info with coworkers. It helps reduce pay inequality. :)
o_O People don't do that? We do that here all the time and it's ok.

I got a job as a captioner ._. I'm happy to be able to do the things I love, but yeah.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #192267 on: February 14, 2020, 10:40:43 am »

Pretty sure it can get you fired in places stateside, either explicitly or by way of some sort of excuse magically appearing, assuming an excuse is needed at all. So, uh, don't apologize but do be careful :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192268 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:01 am »

Pretty sure it can get you fired in places stateside, either explicitly or by way of some sort of excuse magically appearing, assuming an excuse is needed at all. So, uh, don't apologize but do be careful :-\
It is not legal in the US to fire people for sharing salary/pay info. It is however easy to be fired in some states where they don't legally have to give a reason.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192269 on: February 14, 2020, 10:48:42 am »

It is not legal in the US to fire people for sharing salary/pay info. It is however easy to be fired in some states where they don't legally have to give a reason.

Yep. "Right to work" laws. They're mostly for getting around laws that say you can't fire someone for being the "wrong" skin color, sexual orientation, political beliefs, etc. But they're also used to get rid of troublemakers who try to keep workers from getting a bad deal.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:51:35 am by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 12816 12817 [12818] 12819 12820 ... 13310