Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12828 12829 [12830] 12831 12832 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14530318 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: [Baka] Cirno was here but have these wings instead. (Happy thread)
« Reply #192435 on: March 01, 2020, 07:58:43 pm »

Not Touhou (if I recall rightly, said wolfgirl was Momiji, and both she and Cirno originate there), except by fans.

Mind, the fans are definitely put the "fan" in fanatical when it comes to creating their own labours of love, so yes, there are multiple fan-made anime works, some of which have apparently pulled in professional VAs.  Just nothing official.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:00:21 pm by Culise »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #192436 on: March 01, 2020, 08:39:54 pm »

Not Touhou (if I recall rightly, said wolfgirl was Momiji, and both she and Cirno originate there), except by fans.

Mind, the fans are definitely put the "fan" in fanatical when it comes to creating their own labours of love, so yes, there are multiple fan-made anime works, some of which have apparently pulled in professional VAs.  Just nothing official.
"fan" comes from fanatical, fyi. TMYK
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192437 on: March 01, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »

Cirno!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192438 on: March 01, 2020, 09:59:54 pm »

Cirno is number 9, whatever that means.
fi do not know what went on, they dance to fight crime? Why do they beat up bees?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #192439 on: March 01, 2020, 10:36:53 pm »

That’s not proper representation of Cirno.
This is: ”Icicle Fall” ~ Easy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192440 on: March 01, 2020, 10:49:48 pm »

So she has ice magic? Cool

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192441 on: March 02, 2020, 12:43:13 am »

Touhou is....weird.  I have a friend who is really into touhou.  Cirno is an ice fairy.  She was famously in a manual screenshot.  You know those ones where they label the parts of the screen with a number.  Label number 9 was pointing to her, thus the 9 being associated with her.

Oh and the name for label 9 in that screenshot was "Idiot"

Cirno is well known for being pathetic and useless possibly one of the weakest characters in canon.  She thinks she is the strongest.  She is a fan favorite.  But I'm hardly an expert, I really only played the touhou fighting games and I feel Utsuho* or Mokou* are the best characters.  I would probably be burned at the stake in an actual touhou forum.

I don't know why that video has them dancing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:51:04 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192442 on: March 02, 2020, 04:54:12 am »

EDIT: as for why they're dancing. It doesn't need to make sense. It's IOSYS. You just have to look at other IOSYS videos to know that. It's just what that group does. For that one above the joke is merely that they're transposed Touhou characters into the 'ghetto' for a rap-battle dance-off. As for how it relates to Touhou, it's similar to the effect as if you animated various star wars character in a dance battle including Luke, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, C3PO. The point that they wouldn't be hanging out let alone doing that is kinda the point, but it would be easy to miss the point if you didn't know any of the source material.

I'll just leave this other video as a contribution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unRPhNH-YWo

Also here's a simple music video to remember who's who in Touhou. At least for the early games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtdTdbSOEw

----

Touhou fandom is basically a lot like Bay12forums. You've got Dwarf Fortress, that's the linchpin, but a lot of people here only dabble or haven't played those games in years. So, in theory, this place is all about and only about Dwarf Fortress. But it really isn't. It's about everything that grew up around that.

Simiarly, there are the Touhou games, but there is a ton of media surrounding it that has at times only a tenuous connection to the games. For example, there's a genre of touhou music, and touhou bands would be a subgenre of that, and touhou metal bands is a subgenre of that, with different kinds of metal bands as subgenres of that. Pretty much the only Touhou stuff I consume is various Touhou metal music and occassional other styles of touhou band's music. Here's an entire last.fm category just for Touhou metal bands:
https://www.last.fm/tag/touhou+metal/artists

Also a lot of memes about the thing aren't from the thing. So, someone referenced something from the game, and then there's a call-and-response culture where people make further stuff that references those memes, and in the end you've got memes in the culture that pretty much don't have any direct link to the games themselves - fans have just decided to repeat that narrative enough so it's thing now. "Fanon" basically. By this point (which was about 10-12 years ago really) there were creators coming on board the Touhou thing who really never played the games in the first place. It's referencing the material, but purely as a sort of collective worldbuilding effort rather than directly referencing the games.

This is why it really is like Bay12: There's this one guy who programs all the games, designs the characters, writes all the music, does all the in-game art, and self-releases. There's then the larger fan culture that remixes everything, decides they want to do Slayer-like covers of the songs, and creates all the fan art you'll see on Touhou videos. None of that is official art, everything outside the games themselves is interpretation. This is helped because of Zun himself: he's a good composer, but not a great musician. He's a good character designer, but not a great artist. So for all the stuff he throws out, someone thinks "I could do that better" and they then interpret the music and art their own, high-fidelity way. Which has lead to hundreds if not thousands of professional artists having a go redrawing his characters. This kinda reminds of how Toady does Ascii then people come along and put graphics on it because they could do better. Zun also takes a very liberal view of copyright and fair use, allowing the community to do with it as they please. Zun is really the Toady of the Touhou community.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:01:15 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Burg] 12 burgs a day recommended daily intake (Happy thread)
« Reply #192443 on: March 02, 2020, 09:29:12 am »

This is all nice and well, but where is the room for crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of their women in your philosophy?

You need treasure to draw the adventurers in.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #192444 on: March 02, 2020, 01:50:08 pm »

Cirno is well known for being pathetic and useless possibly one of the weakest characters in canon.  She thinks she is the strongest.
I thought that she was so strong that in one of the games, a season themed one, she was the representative of Summer. Again, she's an ice fairy, personfication of ice, and she had a tan and was representing Summer.
Then again, that's pretty much the entirety of what I know about Touhou, and it may very well be wrong.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #192445 on: March 02, 2020, 06:46:27 pm »

Note that "possibly one of the weakest ones in canon" still translates into "might be able to take down a space marine chapter or something". Touhou critters are apparently pretty crazy with the breaks off.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #192446 on: March 02, 2020, 08:14:10 pm »

Touhou confirmed as c'tan.  10-4
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192447 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:13 pm »

But they love magic.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192448 on: March 02, 2020, 09:19:06 pm »

Nitori confirmed as C'tan.  also best touhou
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192449 on: March 03, 2020, 02:55:24 pm »

I own a house now. I got my key yesterday.

I didn't think I'd ever own a house, ever. I don't even know what to do.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 12828 12829 [12830] 12831 12832 ... 13312