Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12861 12862 [12863] 12864 12865 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14555492 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: [🧼👏] Wash your hands, not your pons (Happy thread)
« Reply #192930 on: April 24, 2020, 03:35:25 pm »

A friend of mine was accepted to MIT

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #192931 on: April 24, 2020, 04:50:31 pm »

So Fortnite did another crosspromotion thing with some dude named Travis Scott and it was essentially a really cool and trippy music video that you were kind of a part of, despite the song itself being rather shitty the visuals of the whole thing and interactive music videos as a concept are a really cool idea.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192932 on: April 24, 2020, 04:53:56 pm »

I got a new addition to the family, a little nephew

My suggestion for name is Bror, so that we can nickname him Lillebror
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192933 on: April 25, 2020, 04:26:43 am »

Just noticed I've been logged in for 420 days (and some change).
Hehehe.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192934 on: April 25, 2020, 09:51:54 pm »

402 days... so close!
I also took some landscape pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dang, those are nice.  I've been taking sunset pictures as well, though I mostly focus on tree leaves.  I don't have the access to such vantage points that I used to.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #192935 on: April 25, 2020, 10:03:54 pm »

19 days, 10 hours, 50 minutes... I've got a while to go.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #192936 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:46 pm »

Its been - 1 week since you've looked at me, 5 days since I laughed at you, 3 days since the living room, yesterday you'd forgiven me, but it will still be 3 days 'till I say I'm sorry.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192937 on: April 26, 2020, 05:13:10 am »

Its been - 1 week since you've looked at me, 5 days since I laughed at you, 3 days since the living room, yesterday you'd forgiven me, but it will still be 3 days 'till I say I'm sorry.

It's been one week since we got to see Cheatin' lovers and cousins that marry
Five days since they had the show With the hermaphrodite, the slut and the crack ho
Three days since we heard the tale About the guy who learned his woman was a she-male
Yesterday it occurred to me That I've been watchin' a bit too much Jerry Springer

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192938 on: April 26, 2020, 12:13:45 pm »

On the course that I talked about here before and didn't think I'll get good grade, I GOT 94, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192939 on: April 26, 2020, 01:11:01 pm »

On the course that I talked about here before and didn't think I'll get good grade, I GOT 94, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Congrats.

It's been one week since we got to see Cheatin' lovers and cousins that marry
Five days since they had the show With the hermaphrodite, the slut and the crack ho
Three days since we heard the tale About the guy who learned his woman was a she-male
Yesterday it occurred to me That I've been watchin' a bit too much Jerry Springer

Holy fuck that's a lot of shittiness in just a few lyrics. And 1999 is way too recently to use some of those slurs, especially when the intention is obviously to laugh at people who are different.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192940 on: April 26, 2020, 01:29:13 pm »

Yeah... WTF, Weird Al?  And WTF Jerry Springer, I assume.
I'm particularly appalled because I used to enjoy that parody.  I wasn't able to understand a lot of the words, but I was used to that.  What I actually liked was the tune being parodied, I didn't know anything about Jerry Springer.  I didn't know what I was singing along with.

Well, I still have happy memories of Weird Al songs.  My brother and I got to see him once at a bookstore, and that was a thrill!  We were pretty sheltered from TV and such growing up, and his songs were a window into transgression and the outside world.  Back when the internet was a poor window in that regard, before social media as we know it.

I've heard he's still up to things I probably wouldn't like, but I haven't looked into it.  I can still enjoy (most) of his work and what it meant to me growing up.  I feel lucky that I didn't comprehend that song in my impressionable years, though.  (Even though it was criticizing not celebrating Jerry Springer, that's a level of analysis I likely would have missed)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #192941 on: April 26, 2020, 04:24:47 pm »

Yay!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192942 on: April 26, 2020, 04:38:26 pm »

Good job

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192943 on: April 26, 2020, 05:30:22 pm »

Yeah... WTF, Weird Al?  And WTF Jerry Springer, I assume.

I don't really blame Weird Al here. Terms like transgender and intersex didn't really exist back then, at least as far as 99% of people's vocabulary was concerned.

I put a lot of cringe down to the evolution of euphemisms. Euphemism have a shelf-life. For example, "negro" was originally a polite euphemism for black, but negro became tainted by association wit the other n-word, so negro also became out-moded. Terms for mental impairment are similar. Many of the offensive terms for being stupid started out as polite or scientific terms to replace earlier terms. Eventually they all get tainted by association. Transgender is definitely better than transexual BTW, which was a very awkward term, since it conflates identity and sexuality. However 20 years from now they may coin new terms and if you still say "transgender" people will think you're some kind of reactionary freak.

So Weird Al really gets bad marks for the inclusion of the mention, not necessarily the words used. But that's entirely in tune with Jerry Springer, and to exclude that stuff would be to water-down what the Jerry Springer show was about. I googled some show titles:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/sep/29/jerry-springer-show-fistfights-fetishes-farm-animals
    A Man Marries a Horse
    Sex Worker Loses Her Teeth.
    Mother Daughter Domination.
    Breaking the Sex Record.
    My Girlfriend is a Man.
    Naked Peek-A-Boo.
    Chopped Off His Own Manhood.
    'I'm Happy I Cut Off My Legs'
    You Slept with My Stripper Sister.

The point is that the show paraded a constant freak-show of dysfunction and oddity. To write a parody about that, you need to keep in the spirit of the show, and not water-down what the show was like. So Weird Al was just being descriptive of what the show was about, using language that people of that time would have understood
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:58:14 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #192944 on: April 27, 2020, 01:05:26 pm »

Jerry Springer was the kinda show where they would get a love quadrangle of physical distortions in time and space and then put a tray full of pies in the middle. JS would always say he wasn't exploiting what was clearly a televised carnivalia freak show and was instead giving voices to people who would otherwise not have voices, but the tray full of pies wouldn't lend itself to reasonable discourse.

And no the tray of pies is not metaphorical

*EDIT
But this scene is golden
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:08:28 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 12861 12862 [12863] 12864 12865 ... 13312