Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12912 12913 [12914] 12915 12916 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14561744 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: [AWOO] PREMIUM AWOOZONE put your awoos in here (Happy thread)
« Reply #193695 on: July 03, 2020, 07:02:14 pm »

How does one compress thoughts?

sudo tar -cz /thoughts
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193696 on: July 03, 2020, 07:12:34 pm »

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193697 on: July 03, 2020, 08:26:16 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:39:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #193698 on: July 03, 2020, 08:38:38 pm »

but what of youre me and organize thoughts into self and others instead of making 2 different locations for 'thoughts'?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193699 on: July 03, 2020, 09:03:23 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:39:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193700 on: July 03, 2020, 09:07:57 pm »

The social confidant! I usually prefer to check in on people one-on-one over coffee or some other low-exertion activity, then work for group harmony (arranging the get-together, bringing supplies, keeping people included in conversations, etc) when we're all together. I still try to live up to the 'Den Mother' moniker they gave me years back.

Those one-on-ones, when you can really get to the meat & potatoes of what your friend is really feeling, work through some strife, or hash up new, inane in-jokes, those are my favorite.

Well, it's one of the safer ways to keep friends right now, anyways- fewer peoples' airs to breathe, less huffing and puffing, no shortage of anxieties to work through.

*fistbump* so many anxieties!

I'll admit that I rarely do the work to plan (except volunteering to do the scheduling part if someone's not sure about the "when," because my schedule is usually the most complicated and unusual). Most of my instigating socializing is in terms of regularly sending texts to everyone friendish on my contact lists, and once-monthly or seasonal events where I cook special food and host a get-together of 1 - 4 people. I also send people artwork presents or other small gifts in the mail frequently, but not regularly. Only when I feel like it. Other than that I'm just a cheerleader LOL. I cannot make things happen and have no interest in doing so.

What is the difference between acquaintance and friend? Length of time spent with them? How much is known?

*cracks knuckles*

it's big bro Veccie's week off and boy howdy am I ready to answer your question!

OK, first I will say that my family is a metaphorical dumpster fire and that I had to figure out social relationships mostly by myself and through rigorously reading shonen manga and Homestuck, so my social tree may not be "normal."

THE PERSON YOU KNOW. You don't know much more about this person than their name and what they look like. Maybe this is the friend of a friend that you met at a birthday party or someone at work in another department. You have no meaningful experiences together and they only matter to you for their relevance to a social web you are part of. You do not like or dislike this person and probably have no real interest in them.

THE ACQUAINTANCE. This is a person who you have known for a while (in my case, I'd say probably at least a few months) but cannot have an emotionally warm relationship with for whatever reason. Maybe you are on different life stages/trajectories and that really matters to your relationship, maybe your politics are too different, maybe you have no meaningful common interests that give you joy, maybe this person has an enraging personal habit that is not objectively Wrong but which annoys you to the point that you tend to avoid them, or maybe they're that one barista you shoot the shit with at the coffee shop but aren't real friends with due to professional distance. But regardless. You know this person, apparently, and you probably talk sometimes. It's not likely that you laugh much together.

THE DISTANT FRIEND. You like talking to and seeing this person but you only do so once or twice a year. It's a formal relationship and you might bring a "hostess gift" when you see them; they have no idea what kind of tea you want and let you raid their entire stash, or make sure that there is a range of special food to try if you are visiting at their place. The point is, it's not casual. The conversation is about something like world events, the evils of health insurance companies, clever anecdotes, or an organization you both belong to peripherally. You don't talk about the things that matter the most to you personally together because you just don't see each other enough. Regardless, this person is definitely a friend because you feel so happy when you see them. In my case, I find that I often know at least one piece of more private information/"dirt" about this person. But you're not the person who they work that stuff through with.

THE BUDDY/THE SQUAD MEMBER. This person gives you a lot of joy, but your relationship is almost solely based on talking about or enjoying one particular common hobby, interest, or fandom. The relationship is comfortable and warm. You maybe have in-jokes and cuddle sometimes but in an emergency, you probably don't call this person first. They don't check on you regularly. They love you but not like that. Note that this dynamic changes somewhat when you are with your SQUAD or GROUP OF BUDDIES, where with more members the feeling of comfort, safety, and love stacks. This is your tabletop group, your martial arts crew, or your asshole childhood friends. It's about the regular meetings as a group rather than the intimate individual relationship. You might occasionally help each other with a concrete emotional issue but it's probably a long conversation once or twice a year. One or more of these might be a friendly rival.

THE MENTOR. This is the good boss or the professor who took a shine to you. They make sure that you have your basic needs in terms of food, housing, internet, and education met, help you advance in your career and meet important contacts, and might even nag you about wearing your bike helmet or help you pick a life partner. This person is more of a surrogate parent than a friend. You touch base with them every once in a while to confirm that you are all right. They love you, all right. You want to be just like this person one day!

THE INTIMATE FRIEND. These are the peers who, provided there are enough of them, hopefully keep you out of the therapist's office and/or bar. You have probably said "I love you" to this person before in some form, and might have pet names for each other. There is a reasonable likelihood that if you are of the opposite sex, outsiders will assume that you are married. The relationship transcends the things that you have in common and is more about your temperaments and the care you put into tending each other as individuals. You send each other gifts sometimes in order to express affection and reflect the value which they bring to your life. You have fought multiple times and the relationship survived. This is the person you go to when you have a problem that you can't solve on your own: recovering from abuse, transitioning genders, advice dealing with your romantic partner, anything that too big for you to deal with alone. These relationships do not fully form until at least a year has passed. You would recognize this person anywhere and might be able to pick up the relationship right where it left off even after a years-long break if you ran into each other again. These are the kinds of people who say "call me any time for any reason" and mean it.

THE FOIL. This is the person who, on every personality trait you can think of, is either exactly like you or exactly your opposite. Most of your interests are the same or similar. Your relationship, whatever it is, will definitely be intense and probably life-changing for both of you. You are regularly mistaken either for each other or for lovers. You pick up each other's body language and habits. You said either "I love you" or "I hate you" once and that was all that was necessary. You might bounce in and out of each other's lives periodically; you dream about each other and have imaginary conversations. Time and space are totally irrelevant to this relationship. Every interaction is a gift. You will always remember this person. They know you better than yourself.

Surprisingly, these do actually exist in real life outside of a romantic context. However, they are rare.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:13:50 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193701 on: July 03, 2020, 11:02:20 pm »

I feel like either acquaintances can be a bit warmer/closer than that description, or there should be an extra category between "acquaintance" and "distant friend". There are plenty of folks who I might have laughs aplenty with on the off-chance I bump into them, but rarely actually seek out to interact with outside of social situations we both happen to be part of, i.e. gigs.   

"Drinking buddy", perhaps? Then again, that might part of a different scale altogether. Same with "complete stranger you talk deeply with for an hour straight whilst gacked", these types of connections generally don't occur whilst sober. :P I'm no expert on relationships, anyway, intoxicated or otherwise.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #193702 on: July 03, 2020, 11:03:43 pm »

Ill have you know that I can be an expert on anything if you let me drink enough!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #193703 on: July 04, 2020, 05:20:47 am »

That's a "good aquaintance" ;)

THE FOIL. This is the person who, on every personality trait you can think of, is either exactly like you or exactly your opposite. Most of your interests are the same or similar.

You can't stand then because they remind you too much of yourself, and you hate yourself
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #193704 on: July 04, 2020, 06:56:07 am »

That's a "good aquaintance" ;)

THE FOIL. This is the person who, on every personality trait you can think of, is either exactly like you or exactly your opposite. Most of your interests are the same or similar.

You can't stand then because they remind you too much of yourself, and you hate yourself
I dont hate myself but back in uni one of the people that I hated the most was a guy who had very similar hobbies and opinions as I did. Jesus how I hated the fucker.
It wasnt as much thr similarities as a problem of attitude on his part. And said attitude made the similarities seem like a parody.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #193705 on: July 04, 2020, 04:58:59 pm »

Every once in a while something reminds me that Hexxus was pretty great theater. Probably the best part of ferngully, even with williams in there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193706 on: July 04, 2020, 05:25:09 pm »

I like Ferngully. There’s apparently a second one, which I don’t remember much of

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193707 on: July 04, 2020, 06:51:44 pm »

Yeah it's called Avatar, directed by James Cameron. Very nice movie.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193708 on: July 04, 2020, 06:57:02 pm »

I get the reference, but there is an actual Ferngully 2

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193709 on: July 04, 2020, 07:26:37 pm »

Had I been using a hat it would have been blown off. Holly crap, companies like to suck dry ideas dont they?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 12912 12913 [12914] 12915 12916 ... 13312