Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12924 12925 [12926] 12927 12928 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14518821 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: [AWOO] PREMIUM AWOOZONE put your awoos in here (Happy thread)
« Reply #193875 on: July 19, 2020, 06:18:08 pm »

It's worth noting that in Jewish cosmology, stars /were/ angels. Lucifer referred to Venus, yes, but was actually also Satan.

Satan and Lucifer refer to the same being in modern religion. In the Torah, if read as a historical document, Satan is a servant of God causing strife in peoples lives as punishment. Satan would also be a category of servants, not one specific angel. I think it was also a word given to describe other gods, too.

It all doesn't work out in the end - if God is omnipotent and Omnipresent, then an antagonist shouldn't exist.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193876 on: July 19, 2020, 07:00:57 pm »

It's worth noting that in Jewish cosmology, stars /were/ angels. Lucifer referred to Venus, yes, but was actually also Satan.

Ah. The Isaiah passage is still incorrectly identified with Satan - possibly a variant of your note that the being was also used to refer to other gods, or rulers in this case.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193877 on: July 19, 2020, 09:49:38 pm »

Actually, that etmology literally only dates from the King James edition of the bible, in English. So as far as the name goes it's a pretty recent addition. Like a lot of things believed by Christians that has very little association with the actual bible.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:52:39 pm by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #193878 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:54 pm »

I could be wrong on that, for sure. It's been a while since my religious studies courses.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193879 on: July 19, 2020, 09:59:47 pm »

Actually the whole thing is very tenuous, but there is a plausible link. It's still tenuous however, since the Hebrew word meaning Venus occurs exactly once in the Hebrew text, and it's this singular occurrence that got translated to the Latin 'Lucifer' in the King James Edition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.' But you are brought down to the realm of the dead, to the depths of the pit. Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: 'Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, the man who made the world a wilderness, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?'

The term "morning star" here is what was translated as Lucifer. But this passage refers to the king of Babylon, and it's the only time in the whole bible the phrase morning star appears. The association with the devil is a pretty tenuous. Any support for this being a reference to the devil seems to have occurred no earlier than the 2nd century AD and/or New Testament passages. The Fallen Angel thing isn't even a Hebrew idea: more recent Christians retro-fitted their belief system on top of the Old Testament here.

Another similar one is the number of the beast, which is clearly just a reference to Nero, hence also a political jab. This is made clear since there was apparently some disagreement about whether the number of the beast was 666 or 616, but using the Hebrew letter/number system, these are actually the correct values for the two most common spellings of Nero's name. So the number of the beast passages are coded "fuck that Nero guy" passages, nothing about supernatural forces.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:19:19 pm by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193880 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:53 pm »

We didn't havw a blackout today. That migth be the work of lucifer?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193881 on: July 20, 2020, 03:33:07 am »

So if I'm understanding everything right Satan is good and god is bad?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193882 on: July 20, 2020, 03:34:20 am »

No, they're both part of the same thing. And also bad.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193883 on: July 20, 2020, 03:40:39 am »

Old-testament wise, satan is neutral, god is allmightly.

Satan just means "adversary".  He's the prosecution counsel, in charge of the trial over the fate of mankind, and individual humans in general.  He tempts humans to sin, and if they fail to resist, he makes his case that the human is not fit to enter heaven.

That's basically it.

This is why God and Satan are so buddy-buddy in the story of Job.

According to ancient Hebrew mysticism, Sheol, "the grave", was a temporary holding place divided into 3 areas. One for very unrighteous dead, one for the ambiguously righteous, and one for the righteous.  Each section was divided by an uncrossable river. (Descriptions given in first Enoch, apocryphal book)

Christ ended this area, when he descended into "hell" (ahem), and extracted the souls from there.  To be deemed worthy of that, he had to live a perfectly virtuous life, and all that noise, which is why the adversary tested him.

The modern notions of "The devil" are very much European constructions, created by the catholic church. Even the word "Hell" is a loanword of European origin. The most foundation they have, is the few quotations about the prince of the morning star, as previously cited.

Satan serves a purpose. That purpose is not at odds with God's purpose, at least in the old testament.  It is just at odds with human interest.  Unlike what most people seem to think is appropriate for a "Good" and "Just" god, the hebrew one is uninterested in placating every human want and vice, and seems to hold a much more rigid "no, this is how it must be" approach.  I tend to view that approach as less "Arbitrarily officious, totalitarian asshole", and more "Stickler for adhering to necessity, all i's dotted, all t's crossed, because that is how the nature of reality demands it must be, for things to keep working."  (where the nature of reality is defined by the cosmology of the religion.)

In that light, the necessity to test mankind is evident, the role of the adversary is seen as necessity, humans getting away with doing whatever they want cannot be permitted, and sinners cannot be allowed in heaven-- as stipulated.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:46:10 am by wierd »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #193884 on: July 20, 2020, 08:25:45 am »

Aye, the problems seem to crop up once omnipotence and any level of benevolence are added to that mix - an omnigod doesn't have to play by the stipulated rules, especially since if he created everything like Christianity!Yahweh, he'd create the rules, the nature of heaven, sin, etc. as well. (Benevolence would ensure that he cared to change them in the first place. I think it's in there because it turns out most people don't want a Lovecraftian horror for a god.)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #193885 on: July 25, 2020, 07:09:23 am »

A friend of mine gifted me Stellaris with all the DLCs! :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:34:29 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193886 on: July 25, 2020, 07:32:02 am »

I would not call it a friend, that's a brother rigth there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #193887 on: July 25, 2020, 08:00:56 am »

Isn't that hundreds of dollars? Wow, that's cool! I probably wouldn't be able to afford that myself... not much money to spend on games lol.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193888 on: July 25, 2020, 08:19:35 am »

A little over $200, yeah. That's a very good friend you've got there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193889 on: July 25, 2020, 11:27:32 am »

I only have most of the DLC's, enjoy!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 12924 12925 [12926] 12927 12928 ... 13311