Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12936 12937 [12938] 12939 12940 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14550717 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: [AWOO] PREMIUM AWOOZONE put your awoos in here (Happy thread)
« Reply #194055 on: August 08, 2020, 07:56:57 pm »

Maybe, maybe not. Given the pandemic, survival odds have been reduced, but masks will reduce the spread rate, which will make the reduction of survival rate less,,,as for hangovers, a good way of preventing those is not drinking, if you like the flavors, get non alcoholic versions

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194056 on: August 08, 2020, 09:39:41 pm »

I still chuckle recalling someone who defined a generation as spanning 5 years on either side of their own birth year, on the basis that they couldn't relate to people further than that, therefore that defines the "generation". So, they can't relate to people 10 years on either side of themselves, so they object to where the 'generation' line is drawn and demand that it centers on them. XD which of course when you think about it just moves other people to the edges of the 'generation', who could equally make the same argument the other way.

Just get used to it, 15 years is the reasonable amount of time to define a named generation, otherwise we get bogged down in micro-generations. But 15 years for example lumps people who were into first-gen punk the Sex Pistols etc and Disco in with early 1990s people who were into techno, Nirvana and gangsta rap. In gaming terms it lumps people who thought Pong was fairly nifty in with people who played Doom.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:46:12 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #194057 on: August 09, 2020, 03:36:09 am »

I would. But I would also like a the sims clone. I don't understand why there haven't been more people trying to make games like that. We should make a game like that.

I think the problem is that it's a very content-heavy game. People start making anything like that and pretty soon they go "fuck I should be getting paid to do this" and make something of their own instead.

Even if you just made your own custom character creator, you could probably sell that for bucks to any number of companies looking for one of those in their game, and seeing how much work it's going to be. Not every company wants to get bogged down in designing a "human creation suite" in their game to allow custom characters. That's just reinventing the wheel each time.

It should be getting a bigger and bigger opening as The Sims gets smaller and smaller though. I absolutely do not think the "everyday life simulator" genre has been completely tapped out yet.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194058 on: August 09, 2020, 05:07:08 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:36:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194059 on: August 09, 2020, 06:36:19 am »

It should be getting a bigger and bigger opening as The Sims gets smaller and smaller though. I absolutely do not think the "everyday life simulator" genre has been completely tapped out yet.

The cost is in hand-crafting all the animations. The point in this is that nobody has made anything remotely similar in the amount of content they have, and there are commercial games that have tried, which all fall far short.

Before asking whether someone should make an open-source Sims ask whether there seems to be room in the market for another Sims-like game.

Where I think the line is, is between open-ended experiences vs limited experiences. For example, someone made Doom, and everyone and their dog made Doom knock-offs that all sold well, because something like Doom is something you want more variants of. Different story, different character, different weapons and options etc. Because FPS are story-driven limited / linear experiences. However for something like Civilization for example, that was every bit as successful as Doom, however it didn't spawn a successful genre of copy-cats. It really does feel like the more open-ended a game is the less of that type of game the market can generally support (especially if they're expensive to develop). Like an FPS player will be able to rattle off a list of all the FPS games they've played, but others will be like "I play League of Legends" or "I play WoW" or "I play Civilization", or "I play The Sims". Sims players just aren't going out and seeking new Sims-like experiences from other games.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:51:53 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194060 on: August 09, 2020, 06:38:45 am »

Hm grand theft auto sim city edition? Go from carefully micromanaging appartements to running people over  ;D basically a 3d DF in a contemporary setting
+1

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194061 on: August 09, 2020, 06:02:40 pm »

There seems to be more life in the forums now than when I left

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #194062 on: August 09, 2020, 07:09:29 pm »

Yeah, it's becoming more active with the news of the steam release.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194063 on: August 10, 2020, 12:41:52 am »

Sims players just aren't going out and seeking new Sims-like experiences from other games.
Uh, hell yes I am! I would love to have a game like the Sims but less... cartoonish? Tame? Goofy? I don't know, none of those are necessarily negative things, but it'd be nice to have more choice in the slice-of-life genre.   
Anyway, don't mind me, I didn't read the discussion leading up to this.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194064 on: August 10, 2020, 12:50:37 am »

Yeah, it's becoming more active with the news of the steam release.
The only reason I'm excited for it is that it will likely bring in more people. Not interested in the release itself (and I will continue to play ASCII).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #194065 on: August 10, 2020, 01:23:55 am »

Also looking forward to some new blood. I'm sick of all you people on this forum. >:/

Really I'm looking forward to Toady and Threetoe getting their pockets filled and some added attention to DF as a piece of technical art.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #194066 on: August 10, 2020, 06:08:50 am »

I just want a DF-themed badge on my Steam profile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194067 on: August 10, 2020, 06:17:28 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:35:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #194068 on: August 10, 2020, 09:18:29 am »

I'm an ASCII babe too but I might change now. I really think the graphics look above expectations.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194069 on: August 10, 2020, 09:22:56 am »

I'm an ASCII babe too but I might change now. I really think the graphics look above expectations.
while the latter is true, the former is still heresy.  Art is to  appreciate, not to co-opt :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 12936 12937 [12938] 12939 12940 ... 13312