Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12951 12952 [12953] 12954 12955 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14538573 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: [AWOO] PREMIUM AWOOZONE put your awoos in here (Happy thread)
« Reply #194280 on: September 15, 2020, 02:05:55 am »

There is a third season of Cobra Kai in the works and I cannot fucking wait. Just finished the second one.   
The show achieves this perfect mix of (sometimes probably unintentional) amusement and HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME. I feel like they forced the '80s worship a bit much in season two (mini-golf is one thing, but sixteen-year-olds unironically hitting up a roller disco in 2018? Bruh) but honestly, I think this show is truer to that era than is immediately apparent. Not sure how to explain it, but it hits the same spot that the best kind of cheesy '80s goodness tended to hit, just with a few very different, modern-day ingredients.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194281 on: September 15, 2020, 01:23:17 pm »

Ykno everyone always talking about that show makes me want to watch it now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194282 on: September 15, 2020, 01:34:37 pm »

(mini-golf is one thing, but sixteen-year-olds unironically hitting up a roller disco in 2018? Bruh)

To do something ironically, you need to be aware of the history. 16 year olds aren't uniformly good that that, in fact the vast majority of them are probably ignorant of a detailed history of the disco scene which includes knowledge of roller disco, which largely disappeared decades before they were born.

There's been a revival of that stuff in recent years, and teens just take it literally. 2/3rds of them probably don't even know it's a retro thing. Like every time there's a yo-yo revival the little douchebags, my generation included, think they invented the things. I'd hardly be surprised if the kids who go to those things think that combining disco and roller skates is a completely new spin.

(edit: for example, most 16 year olds 'unironically' support the exact same political party that their parents support. Introspection comes later, if at all. if your friends are doing it, it's by definition the thing you do. 'ironic' only comes later as a justification for doing things which aren't popular. Teens and young adults unironically do a lot of things which later causes them to cringe, hence there is no need for them to wrap something like roller disco in a wrapper of 'ironic').
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:58:26 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194283 on: September 15, 2020, 01:58:08 pm »

We've got one reasonably nearby that has been in operation since the 80's.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #194284 on: September 15, 2020, 02:00:15 pm »

There's a roller disco in Couer d'Alene too. Went there on school field trips even though it's like 60 miles away
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194285 on: September 15, 2020, 10:29:16 pm »

Yeah, but... sixteen-year-olds. And this was them going willingly, not as a school trip or something!   
I mean, it's not like I have insider knowledge on what was considered cool by actual cool kids in high school, but I'm pretty sure roller rinks/discos/whatever the local term for them was were something we did in primary school and would have seemed terribly passe by that age. As far as I'm aware the kids who were "with it" had moved on to beugs and binge drinking by that stage (don't worry, the latter is also represented in this otherwise grittily realistic show).   

Now I kinda want to look up that place with the roller blades and shit from my childhood. It's actually surprising I can't remember the name, even after nobody I knew went there we still drove past it every so often.   

Edit: ah, it was the Caloundra Rollerdrome, apparently. See, I should have remembered that, what an obvious name for a roller disco-type-thing.   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:31:04 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194286 on: September 16, 2020, 01:14:03 am »

Everything went smoothly in surgery today. Got my right SI joint fused. Home and comfortable-ish.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #194287 on: September 16, 2020, 04:38:34 am »

Congrats, Max! Don't pick at the threading!
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #194288 on: September 16, 2020, 09:32:08 am »

I have finally gotten DF to work in Qemu within Linux. I seriously think that this thing is the slowest machine (virtual machine, but still) to ever run DF. I have spent hours just waiting for this thing to do stuff. I'm emulating a Pentium II (Puppy Linux requires PAE), thus proving (give or take) that the 32-bit Linux version of DF 47.04 does not require SSE. Fuck yeah!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Incorrect CPU; Pentium II, not Pentium.
Edit 2: I have been fooled by the emulator. I don't know what CPU it's running, but my Happy still stands: I got DF to run on a very slow VM.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:10:38 am by methylatedspirit »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194289 on: September 16, 2020, 12:28:06 pm »

The new Conan Exiles DLC seems rad as hell. Enjoying it thoroughly.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194290 on: September 16, 2020, 05:44:10 pm »

on Monday I start a new job.

rather, i hold the same title, but will be paid more.  in practice it's probably going to entail more work from me, but honestly idk yet.  it's a small business (~4 locations), and they've been a lttle hush-hush about the job.

but, for half my benefits paid for, plus a healthy raise im willing to explore it.  Ive seen a few 'red flags', though, so I'm a little apprehensive.  Ive resigned that some shenanigans might just be part of the job description....
So got my paycheck.  So chonky, much chuft, many moneybucks.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194291 on: September 16, 2020, 05:58:56 pm »

Hooray for fat moneybucks!

My moneybucks are lean and healthy, but unsatisfying.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #194292 on: September 16, 2020, 06:10:04 pm »

Ive got a few grand worth of credit card debt on my newest card (and no other debt) and the 'interest free' period expires next month.  Im going to surprise the hell out of them when I suddenly drop all the debt at once.  :o

No 20% interest for those suckers, only sweet, sweet credit score for me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194293 on: September 17, 2020, 07:05:04 am »

Haha you beat visa in the nuts pisskop!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #194294 on: September 17, 2020, 07:35:18 am »

I upgraded the RAM in my laptop to 16GB. I specifically looked for the same model (and manufacturer, capacity, rank...) of RAM to make absolutely sure that it would run in dual-channel, just to get the maximum benefit out of it. It's working perfectly, despite it being slightly different.

So as expected, it doubled memory bandwidth (give or take). It even improved DF performance by 20%, so that's something. Also, 16GB of memory, but that's a little pointless. I just wanted it to run in dual-channel, mostly for the hell of it, and it turns out that upgrading to 16GB is cheaper than buying two 4GB sticks.

Slight concern about the timings, though. New RAM officially supports 20-19-19-43, but old RAM supports 19-19-19-43. Still, CPU-Z still shows 19-19-19-43, so I probably won't have problems there. Dunno what happened there, but if it works, it works. Even if it did get bumped up to CL20, it probably won't matter too much; I'm running an Intel system, not Ryzen, so it's not particularly crucial to have low CAS latency.
Pages: 1 ... 12951 12952 [12953] 12954 12955 ... 13312