Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12978 12979 [12980] 12981 12982 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14384067 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #194685 on: December 19, 2020, 04:06:59 pm »

I love bitter LOL. I drink multiple cups of pu'er almost every day (and eat a lot of bitter melon). It's just the sour/acidic that I can't handle. Lemon, raw tomato, kiwi, walnuts . . . these are all foods that I like the tastes of, but tend to avoid (especially by themselves) cuz they hurt my mouth.

Although with black coffee, the issue is more diarrhea. LOL.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #194686 on: December 19, 2020, 04:10:53 pm »

It's a feature. Lets you take bathroom breaks, see? :v
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194687 on: December 19, 2020, 04:29:58 pm »

Oh right, this was mainly a pizza joint!  I think it (or the wall-tap system) was called Zero or something.  I hope it's still around in some form next year, I love the idea of beer-tasting.  Beer can actually be delicious if you have the bitter tolerance for it, without ever getting drunk.  Tasting obscure beers between bites of food.  Lovely.

I'm also leery of sour/acid.  It's great diluted in water, and vitamin C is super healthy, but it's tricky to eat because too much seems to damage one's mouth.  Hiding it in sugar like orange juice almost makes it worse, but my sugar tolerance is also low.

(And nice bars in my experience seem more than happy to pour you a taste of a beer, that's part of the service.  But the automation of it was kinda cool (as an introvert consumer))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:32:56 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194688 on: December 19, 2020, 04:30:40 pm »

I wish bars/breweries carried more ciders.  I don't want the beers, and last time the local brewery ran out of root beer.  The only beer I've liked was Red's Apple Ale and that's because they try desperately not to taste like beer.

There was one specializing in cider in Richmond, but that's a bit out of the way.  They used the wood of the cider barrels in their barbeque.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #194689 on: December 19, 2020, 06:34:41 pm »

Just finished up a crazy bastard mod mafia game that turned into a free-form RPG part way through. It was fun to run, but I'm happy to be done with it. It was exhausting to keep up with. Learned a lot, though.

Also, Jef Major did a stream today in the first time in ages! Super happy to see him healthy enough to stream again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194690 on: December 20, 2020, 12:48:26 am »

IBUs are confusing. At first glance it sounds like the more the better, but it doesn't really mean bitterness does it? It's more like... hoppiness, or general pungency. Unless I'm misremembering from the last time I looked it up?   

Anyway since we're speaking of beers, I generally despise craft beer (especially anything with an acronym ending in "PA", even though I've had actual "pale ales" that were nice. Weird), but over the last year or so I have made a very tentative discovery of sours. Started when my former housemates down in Melbourne had some locally-made watermelon sour (I think?) that they didn't really like and so offloaded it on me, the alcoholic beverage garbage disposal. To my surprise, I actually rather liked it.   
In more recent times, after moving a couple states north, I looked in this one bottle shop for that brand, couldn't find it, and ended up buying another sour instead. I think I forgot that the other one I'd had was "watermelon", but in any case the "passion fruit (sic) sour gose style ale" I ended up with was friggin' tight.   

It's from a company called Green Beacon. Has a really cool, but understated can design, too. I've tried some of their other beers (this is the only actual sour I've found) and didn't like them nearly as much. Last time I went into that liquor store to grab some they were having some deal where you got a 25% discount if you bought eight cans of "craft beer". Not knowing fuck-all about craft beer other than most of it is really bad, I stood around in front of the fridges for a while until one of the guys working there offered advice and I ended up with this "HPA" with a really cool image of a dead astronaut on the front - I will admit I'd already been eyeing it for the art.   
I figured, it's "hazy" not "India" so maybe it'll be alright, right? WRONG. Tasted the same as IPA, i.e. frickin' awful. Lesson learned: PA = bad. Sorry Pennsylvania.       
Took me a while to drink all four cans of that crap. Most of them I went through in the bath, after starting off with a bottle of nicer beer. I found that holding your nose whilst drinking helps a great deal, too.   

But anyway, this 7 Bells Passionfruit Sour Gose Style Ale is fantastic, even if I don't know exactly what "gose style" means.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194691 on: December 20, 2020, 12:56:04 am »

Sour beer...  Strange, but clearly a thing.  Closest I've ever gotten to that was Blue Moon, which is (as my ex-boss explained) better with a healthy squeeze of orange in it.

"Little or no hops"... madness.  That would reduce its utility a lot, sailing to India, I tell you what.  IPA all the way.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194692 on: December 20, 2020, 07:16:38 am »

Black pilsen for me please. Or better just rum. Straight, dry
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194693 on: December 20, 2020, 10:48:13 am »

IBUs are confusing. At first glance it sounds like the more the better, but it doesn't really mean bitterness does it? It's more like... hoppiness, or general pungency. Unless I'm misremembering from the last time I looked it up?   

Anyway since we're speaking of beers, I generally despise craft beer (especially anything with an acronym ending in "PA", even though I've had actual "pale ales" that were nice. Weird), but over the last year or so I have made a very tentative discovery of sours. Started when my former housemates down in Melbourne had some locally-made watermelon sour (I think?) that they didn't really like and so offloaded it on me, the alcoholic beverage garbage disposal. To my surprise, I actually rather liked it.   
In more recent times, after moving a couple states north, I looked in this one bottle shop for that brand, couldn't find it, and ended up buying another sour instead. I think I forgot that the other one I'd had was "watermelon", but in any case the "passion fruit (sic) sour gose style ale" I ended up with was friggin' tight.   

It's from a company called Green Beacon. Has a really cool, but understated can design, too. I've tried some of their other beers (this is the only actual sour I've found) and didn't like them nearly as much. Last time I went into that liquor store to grab some they were having some deal where you got a 25% discount if you bought eight cans of "craft beer". Not knowing fuck-all about craft beer other than most of it is really bad, I stood around in front of the fridges for a while until one of the guys working there offered advice and I ended up with this "HPA" with a really cool image of a dead astronaut on the front - I will admit I'd already been eyeing it for the art.   
I figured, it's "hazy" not "India" so maybe it'll be alright, right? WRONG. Tasted the same as IPA, i.e. frickin' awful. Lesson learned: PA = bad. Sorry Pennsylvania.       
Took me a while to drink all four cans of that crap. Most of them I went through in the bath, after starting off with a bottle of nicer beer. I found that holding your nose whilst drinking helps a great deal, too.   

But anyway, this 7 Bells Passionfruit Sour Gose Style Ale is fantastic, even if I don't know exactly what "gose style" means.   

The bitterness depends on when during the brewing process the hops were added. Based on my memories from a few years back 9no longer have space to brew): Near the beginning of boiling, they mostly add bitterness. Hops added near the end of the boil add a grassy or fruity flavor depending on the variety of hops you used, and ones added after add a hoppy scent/aroma.

I think a lot of the hatred people get over Pale Ales is how difficult it can be to find literally any other style of beer. I understand it's easier to make on an industrial scale, because your mistakes are hidden by all of the hops, but you shouldn't be ruining batches very often anyway.

Hazy IPAs are just ones that weren't filtered properly. Like Swiss Cheese with holes, it's a bad batch that they managed to use as a selling point.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194694 on: December 21, 2020, 12:33:00 am »

Ohhhh. So, in conclusion: dump in allll the hops right at the start of the boiling process and no later. Gotcha!   

You know, I've been thinking lately that homebrewing would actually be kind of fun to try my hand at.   
Of course, slapping together a still would be pretty cool, too. Imagine all the money I would save on booze...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #194695 on: December 21, 2020, 01:17:53 am »

My brother made his own mead last month, turned out okay apparently (I don't drink alcohol and it tasted like pissy apple juice to me)

He saved all the booze bottles he and his girlfriend drank to bottle it. They drink a lot, you see.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #194696 on: December 21, 2020, 02:46:47 am »

Oh hey homemade mead is usually pretty great, I usually got some from one of my sisters friends every year. ... Which I barely realized is likely not happening this Christmas because of the fucking plague. Dammit.

Anyway I've been playing the Ace combat games a lot lately, anyone else here ever play them? I seriously can't believe I went so long never touching these given how much they're working out for me, I already beat 4 and zero and have been going through 5 now inbetween going through zero again on hard mode trying to stay on soldier ace style and getting S ranks in 4.

I might be developing an unhealthy attachment to the SU-37.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #194697 on: December 21, 2020, 07:27:25 am »

There's definitely a chunk of ace combat players floating around the forum, though I forget actual user names. You see chatter about the series pop up occasionally.

... haven't played more than like maybe two minutes from a demo or something, personally, though. Never got along super great with flight sim type stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #194698 on: December 21, 2020, 07:56:48 am »

I loved the demo for ace combat 2. Felt more arcade-y than a flight sim.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #194699 on: December 21, 2020, 10:05:14 am »

My brother made his own mead last month, turned out okay apparently (I don't drink alcohol and it tasted like pissy apple juice to me)

Hey if it wasn't poser mead it would have been totally okay to drink, there's barely any alcohol in mead
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 12978 12979 [12980] 12981 12982 ... 13310