Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13004 13005 [13006] 13007 13008 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14375323 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195075 on: January 19, 2021, 11:32:26 am »

Gud operational security

In more thread related news; me and me m8s were playing Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II. An abandonware game EA lost the license to, it's still pretty fun to this day. Real time strategy game with lord of the rings armies spread out over the regions of middle earth, like the GW tabletop game but without costing more than a heroin addiction. We did a 3vs3 with a twist.

The three of us were playing triple Mordor against Men of the West, the Dwarves and the Elves. With three mordor players we could build all nine Nazgul and have the black riders roam across the map with maximum a e s t h e t i c value. We all agreed on a simple rule. All units could be built, but only the nine ringwraiths could leave our home base, leaving the forces of mordor in mordor for defence. Our win condition was to find gollum and take the one ring to summon the cute bby mairon dark lord Sauron and bring shadows over Middle Earth.
Player Bossman was our defence, who took on the brunt of the coalition attacks. Player Doctorman was our tower man, who built watchtowers around the map to control territory / start locking down territory to try and find gollum. Then there was me, who was the hunter-seeker and mobile defence force, reinforcing where needed, building towers where needed, whilst roaming the map for sneaky hobbitses.

All nine nazgul on horseback stormed the Prancing Pony Inn at Bree, but were disappointed by the complete lack of hobbits with rings. From there Bossman sent his three to assault the Dwarves, Doctorman sent his three to deal with the elves, whilst I sent my three to kill faramir and the men. With the eye of Sauron Doctorman and I scanned the map high and low searching for gollum - gollum is normally invisible and only detectable by special units, watchtowers or abilities like the eye. The nine very quickly lose their dominance on the field as good heroes start coming out and the forces available to them start growing in quantity and quality. This means we have to start choosing our battles carefully, and all the battles we engage in cuts into nazgul patrolling time we could be spending searching for the One Ring.

Bossman sends his Nazgul home to help defend the black gates, built by Doctorman. Doctorman keeps his Nazgul roaming around the Prancing Pony, searching for reinforcements to ambush. This frees up my three to keep scouring all of the map for gollum, expanding our influence with each tunnel, farm or mallorn tree razed to the ground to be replaced with the GLORY OF MORDOR.
This goes on for fourty minutes until things start getting dire. The good factions are unleashing their heroes in force, their armies with full upgrades, and whilst it's clear we can hold on - Bossman is stressing like hell under the sheer weight of powerful invasions. Doctorman is struggling to build watchtowers and micro his heroes so I take over watchtower business. I train an elite force of easterlings, orcs and haradrim to bolster Bossman's troll army. With things this desperate we all conclude we just have to have Bossman hold out long enough to find the ring. Doctorman swaps out his three Nazgul on horseback with two nazgul on fellbeasts and THE Witch King of Angmar on fellbeast, giving us 6 nazgul on horseback and 3 in the sky.

With eyes in the sky and hooves on the ground, Doctorman and I scour from West to East, razing the outskirts of the good faction's bases whilst using watchtowers, barricades and the eye of sauron to cover all the ground possible. At 12:30 A.M. we can't let the game go on longer because we all have work in the morning, so we summon the Nine, Boss's troll army, Doc's special forces and my elite humans of the east, and we assault them all one by one. Sorcerous magic tore the elven base apart. The trolls, humans and orcs overran the humans. Traitor Dwarves & the Balrogs led the way against the Dwarves, closing the game.

Afterwards I checked the replay. In the replay you can see invisible and stealthed units, as you have a God's eye view. I wanted to see how close we were to finding gollum.
I discovered Docman, who had been hosting the game, had accidentally unchecked the Ring Hero option when he started the game. There was no gollum on the map. We spent more than an hour in a Kafkaesque nightmare searching for something we'd never find. In doing so we realised we accidentally did a perfect roleplay of Sauron focusing all of his energies and resources into finding the ring amongst his enemies, unaware that the ring was heading to Mordor in the hands of a sneaky hobbitses. Docman agreed with us that this was easily the worst thing he had done to us in game, and we all left with mixed blessings. It was one of the funnest games we had, it was one of the most painful games we had, and the knowledge there never was a ring scarred our hearts
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:41:01 am by Loud Whispers »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #195076 on: January 19, 2021, 02:37:51 pm »

Mushroom that looks and feels like an ear.
Then it turns out it was actually someones ear, and you ate it, you monster.

I wonder at the origin of a creature blessed with so many ears.

I'm sure it's all ears.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #195077 on: January 19, 2021, 03:27:01 pm »

Suggestion: A first testament angel, but instead of countless of eyes it is ears
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195079 on: January 19, 2021, 06:03:33 pm »

Suggestion: A first testament angel, but instead of countless of eyes it is ears

do not want
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #195080 on: January 19, 2021, 06:05:28 pm »

Ears with eyes that have tiny ears on (in? Swimming around like little earfish?) them, that's the way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195081 on: January 19, 2021, 06:57:02 pm »

Battle for Middle Earth II was a lot of fun back in the day, had no idea it was abandonware. Gonna find that immediately.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #195082 on: January 19, 2021, 08:22:54 pm »

It's, uh. Not. Abandonware? As near as I can tell. Rights holder seems to have discontinued official sale, but that's not quite the same thing, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #195083 on: January 19, 2021, 10:18:33 pm »

Isn't that what abandonware means?

Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no official support is available. Although such software is usually still under copyright, the owner may not be tracking copyright violations.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #195084 on: January 19, 2021, 10:32:44 pm »

Eh... sometimes? It's generally not considered "proper" abandonware unless it's explicitly released to the public in some way (ala warzone 2100, ferex) or the rights holders are just... gone, for whatever reason. Stuff you're, y'know, much less likely to be breaking the law to acquire.

BfME2 is very much still owned by a rights holder that ain't gone and ain't released it, far as I could tell. It'd be a forum violation to link to it in a way some abandonware stuff wouldn't be, 'cause outside old/used copies it's pretty much necessarily illegal to acquire, at the mo'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195085 on: January 19, 2021, 11:12:19 pm »

Like with No One Lives Forever, where nobody can sell it because they can't prove ownership, so they also can't stop you from downloading it. I think it may have been Humble or somebody who put up a torrent for it a while back.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195086 on: January 19, 2021, 11:33:47 pm »

We had a new person join our tiny Heroclix group, hopefully he sticks around.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #195087 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:29 am »

Eh... sometimes? It's generally not considered "proper" abandonware unless it's explicitly released to the public in some way (ala warzone 2100, ferex) or the rights holders are just... gone, for whatever reason. Stuff you're, y'know, much less likely to be breaking the law to acquire.

BfME2 is very much still owned by a rights holder that ain't gone and ain't released it, far as I could tell. It'd be a forum violation to link to it in a way some abandonware stuff wouldn't be, 'cause outside old/used copies it's pretty much necessarily illegal to acquire, at the mo'.
BFMEII is a weird one. EA got the license to make LOTR games based off of the cinematic adaptation of LOTR by New Line Cinema, but they also got the rights to make video games based off of the LOTR book series via an agreement with Tolkein Enterprises. LOTR BFMEII covers events spanning the books that aren't seen in the films, but it also uses voice lines and actor images from the cinematic adaptation. To top it all off, BFMEII also adds original characters that have no source basis for existence whether in film or book, and it also distorts the separation between moria/mirkwood orcs and mordor orcs with the goblin/mordor faction split. EA didn't renew their license with New Line Cinema, so they lost the right to continue supporting or selling BFMEII (and BFMEI), but still retained their rights with Tolkein Enterprises, and still retained copyright over BFME series.

If Shadow of Mordor is anything to go by, EA probably shot themselves in the foot by choosing to go cinematic rather than book only. Also lmao SOM made two one rings what the hell were they thinking

I'm reminded now of the very good vid Ross made on games companies killing their own games and how these games would only survive with the efforts of fans in spite of the games company, and not because of it. This notion of purchasing a temporary license to play a game instead of purchasing a game has been an unwelcome development for consumer welfare and historical archiving; it'd be like a library where every book you finish reading is incinerated afterwards. I also wonder if you can consider a game abandoned if the publisher is still alive, still holds the rights, but is doing nothing with it after killing their own franchise? I suppose that's why Sony, Disney and Times Warner keep pumping out remakes, reboots and sequels so no one can argue their rights have lapsed. Even so, you get poor sods like American McGee, who can't even make sequels to his own games because EA owns the rights to his games and doesn't intend to do anything with those rights besides sit on them. I don't like how ownership goes not to the creator, but to the capital accumulation. Just sucks eggs man

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195088 on: January 20, 2021, 07:57:31 am »

While I won't give any links or I will get banned but I'd say those games are fair game (no pun intended) to pirate. It's those cases where I feel the law is unjust.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195089 on: January 20, 2021, 04:33:13 pm »

Had pizza, will have cake later. And so a far, a civil war has not started yet today. Not bad for a birthday.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 13004 13005 [13006] 13007 13008 ... 13310