Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13057 13058 [13059] 13060 13061 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14376208 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #195870 on: May 01, 2021, 11:00:42 pm »

I knew gifted programs tend to be bad, but can you clarify what you said? I'm aware that gifted programs do put children on pedestals, and that's like, Really Bad™, but I want to understand the problem with gifted programs in more depth.

- Most importantly, the way that cutoffs for gifted programs and "tracking" in school work never makes sense. It is arbitrary almost literally 100% of the time and often based on the outcome of a single placement test. It is not just easy to corrupt with politics, it is known to be rife with politics (e.g. the school never changes the placement tests and certain teachers are supplied with the answers so that they can teach kids to pass the test). So the point is: we're usually sorting children on the basis of nothing that has anything to do with the child's own self. Or, well, actually: Zip code, parental income, skin color, assigned sex.

- Next, the entire historical conception of giftedness and IQ was developed in order to justify the American caste system (see Zip code, income, skin color, assigned sex). I am saying this as a former K-12 educator who was very interested in gifted education and taught honors courses. I have not been able to find a single book on giftedness that legitimized "gifted education" as currently conceived.

- Third, you could still try to argue that "laning" is good for top students. It generally isn't. Not only does it give them a fixed idea of their abilities, which is poison for the long haul, it also teaches them to be afraid of hard work, because that's what "normal" students do to succeed.

- Fourth, content of gifted vs. normal courses typically isn't that different. This is because of the first point: gifted kids struggle with many of the same things that "normal" students do.

- Fifth, I never want to hear a kid joking about how they're "in the stupid class" again, which I must have heard almost every day when I was teaching.

- Sixth, virtually all countries with functioning educational systems do not lane students for as long as possible, say until age 16, and try to lower barriers of entry to education. In other words, effort pays off without being restricted by arbitrary barriers to progress.

- Example of six: in the TIMSS (Third International Math and Science Study) the lowest scoring Japanese public school student did better on the test than the highest-scoring American student. This is because resources were put into quality teaching, as opposed to segregated classrooms.

- Seven, yeah I said it, segregation. Why is anyone surprised that one lane of students performs worse than the other and knows less, if the teachers feel free to put on a video and tune out? And this is in the wealthy school districts. Why are we unconcerned about how laning began around when "separate is equal" ended? Similarly: the explosion of private high schools in the 60s? Regardless of one's opinions on the virtue of laning, this should ring a lot of alarm bells. And yet.

OK, that was a rant. If people wanna argue with me you can start a thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195871 on: May 01, 2021, 11:23:24 pm »

I wonder what an interpreted coffee would be like.

Someone tells you what coffee tastes like, and then you try to make something like that tastes like that description.

Its very little like coffee really.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195872 on: May 01, 2021, 11:57:05 pm »

So...
bitter - that's easy, flat tonic water
"rich" - I guess that means some vegetable oil?
It's supposed to smell like something, I don't know where to start with that so I won't horrify anyone by trying
Oh and it has to be black, so, get some dye in there like Pepsi and Coke.

Is it thick, too?  I mean, it doesn't act thick, and surely all the bean stuff is filtered out, but heck let's put some flour on the side so people can thicken to taste.

And then make it hot!  Absolutely unreasonably so!
So much more complicated than tea, which is a nice easy to understand recipe of leaving plant matter in hot water.  And then maybe taking the plants out if you're picky.  It can be many different plants, or "herbs".

Edit:  Oh by the way I actually do like drinking coffee... like a monthly thing though, usually as a "I have to go on a long drive in the morning" thing.  Or being polite with a coffee-lover.  But I hope I have demonstrated my complete understanding of it on a fundamental level.

I always have it completely black, and it tastes engagingly offensive yet sharpens my senses rather than dulling them.  Very novel, every time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:00:28 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195873 on: May 02, 2021, 12:00:43 am »

*Dumps entire freighter full of tea into the sea whilst brandishing stars and stripes*

Instructions followed.

*Drinks entire pot of day old room temperature coffee, then returns to the dark from whence he came.*
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195874 on: May 02, 2021, 12:29:11 am »

Instructions perfectly clear, have shown the British who they're messing with.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195875 on: May 02, 2021, 09:16:31 am »

Reminds me of that commercial thing where someone jammed dried noodles into their mouth then guzzled steaming water. Been around for a while, whatever it was.

I've seen that recently, but don't have a copy. He's in an office, eats the ramen, chugs the hot water, then snorts the flavor packet off a cubicle wall.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #195876 on: May 02, 2021, 10:02:09 am »

I wonder what an interpreted coffee would be like.

Someone tells you what coffee tastes like, and then you try to make something like that tastes like that description.

Its very little like coffee really.

It's called Iced Coffee.  How do you all not know that?

I knew gifted programs tend to be bad, but can you clarify what you said? I'm aware that gifted programs do put children on pedestals, and that's like, Really Bad™, but I want to understand the problem with gifted programs in more depth.

Also, sometimes Gifted Classes assume that the students know basic things and thus never teach the basics.  I didn't learn to write properly till College, and to be honest I'm still not very proficient.
But, you've gotten enough trauma for now.  You've been tagged, so might as well get used to it. 
If you can learn from a book, you'll be ok. If not, befriend someone who can. Beware of the teachers that don't actually teach from the book, but the later testing is usually from the books.

WTF, this is the happy thread?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #195877 on: May 02, 2021, 10:54:00 am »

I caved in and decided to actually calculate (with a crappy Python script; I haven't gone fully insane yet) the u-law algorithm's transfer function to get better dynamic range for my databending experiments. I can't wait to test this out tomorrow! The simplified-ish version looks like:
Code: [Select]
Compressor                     = (-80, -47) (-70, -37) (-60, -28) (-50, -19) (-40, -13) (-30, -8) (-20, -5) (-10, -2) (0, 0)
Expander (reflect about y=x)   = (-47, -80) (-37, -70) (-28, -60) (-19, -50) (-13, -40) (-8, -30) (-5, -20) (-2, -10) (0, 0)

I'm realizing the oddness of this whole situation. I'm implementing a digital algorithm (u-law) with an analog method (compander), but the analog method is implemented entirely digitally (FFmpeg/SoX). The things I do to satisfy my curiosity.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #195878 on: May 02, 2021, 12:12:30 pm »

I would’ve liked some kind of gifted class or something in my school. I was too clever for my own good, never needed to study, breezed through homework the night before it was due. Didn’t actually learn how to learn or study or anything which would have actually been useful to my existence beyond school.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195879 on: May 02, 2021, 01:07:09 pm »

I would’ve liked some kind of gifted class or something in my school. I was too clever for my own good, never needed to study, breezed through homework the night before it was due. Didn’t actually learn how to learn or study or anything which would have actually been useful to my existence beyond school.

To be clear, I don't think that the remedy is that we should give everyone "normal" style US courses, which are fundamentally training people to follow orders. Education should offer all students worthwhile and interesting things to think about, every single day.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #195880 on: May 02, 2021, 01:09:00 pm »

To be clear, I don't think that the remedy is that we should give everyone "normal" style US courses, which are fundamentally training people to follow orders. Education should offer all students worthwhile and interesting things to think about, every single day.

So no more math then, I agree
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #195881 on: May 02, 2021, 01:11:18 pm »

So no more math then, I agree

>:O

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #195882 on: May 02, 2021, 01:33:50 pm »

::trollface::
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #195883 on: May 02, 2021, 03:34:32 pm »

what is even an egg. how can you heat something and it turns into a person? why did i succeed in getting all these credit cards from the destroyer but failed at... the rest. what is success and defeat? everything i do makes me 2 steps farther. yeet.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #195884 on: May 02, 2021, 10:08:34 pm »

---u-law transfer function derivation---

Guess what, it worked! I bashed my head against a wall trying to understand the syntax that FFmpeg expects (the hell does "Failed to configure output pad on Parsed_compand_0" mean?!), but it works well enough now.

After encoding, it suffers from noise that worsens as the amplitude of the source audio rises, but I suspect that's just the nature of lossy video codecs being misused to encode audio this way. That, or I need to cut off the transfer function at -60 dBFS input or louder. At least the quiet parts are actually quiet now, which is better than what I can say about my earlier attempts.

I think this idea of audio-to-video-to-audio databending (that I've been kicking around for a month now) might be good enough to write about now! There's the obvious problem of "how do you write about audio effects in a text-and-image-based medium?", but I'll find a way.
Pages: 1 ... 13057 13058 [13059] 13060 13061 ... 13310