Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13086 13087 [13088] 13089 13090 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14382513 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #196305 on: July 27, 2021, 11:20:27 am »

It's not a mimic, it's convergent evolution. It doesn't look like a hummingbird because it's pretending to be one, it looks like a hummingbird because hummingbirds are absent from its environment, so the moth is able to use very similar methods to survive.

*Although, a similar genus of moth exists in the Americas, so existing alongside real hummingbirds probably wouldn't be too much competition for them. Still, they look alike as a result of having similar survival strategies.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:28:14 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196306 on: July 27, 2021, 11:31:51 am »

Ooooh yes that fatass insect, hummingbird hawk moths are pretty scary, eventhough they just have a straw for mouth and probably entierly harmless. Sadly I can't switch languages on wiki on the phone, I forgot again how they are called.
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196307 on: July 27, 2021, 11:36:02 am »

Proboscus. Also, there are butterfiies and moths thst feed on blood. The hawk moth isn’t one of them though

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #196308 on: July 27, 2021, 11:49:56 am »

It's not a mimic, it's convergent evolution. It doesn't look like a hummingbird because it's pretending to be one, it looks like a hummingbird because hummingbirds are absent from its environment, so the moth is able to use very similar methods to survive.

*Although, a similar genus of moth exists in the Americas, so existing alongside real hummingbirds probably wouldn't be too much competition for them. Still, they look alike as a result of having similar survival strategies.

I used to see sunbirds in my garden all the time, and occasionally hawkmoths. I think it's probably just not such a crowded niche it becomes a major problem.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196309 on: July 27, 2021, 08:37:11 pm »

I thought of an evil, but possibly awesome idea: Does anyone remember Teddy Ruxpin? I was thinking, what if there were a Teddy Bear with the 'smart', always online qualities of Alexa? You'd talk to it, and it'd reference a continually updated database of voice clips and conversational subjects, and your child could have pseudo-friend to talk with. Combine that with some rudimentary face-tracking and animatronics, and it'd be a highly memorable toy and faux-playmate.

...If the idea were executed wrong however, you'd have the new child traumatizer of this generation.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196310 on: July 27, 2021, 11:39:30 pm »

Why the hell would you post that insightful idea in the Happy thread, when it's as horrible as the AI-generated Youtube shorts of Mickey Mouse having violent hijinks accompanied by Simolese dialogue?

An imaginary friend, even one tied to a physical doll like I had, shouldn't have a... a pre-programmed agenda.  Besides a motif of hearts and hugging, which is fine (heh).   Maybe it's possible to have a helpful AI for children... but personally, I don't trust anything as much as encouraging the child's imagination.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196311 on: July 28, 2021, 06:33:35 am »

Just read a tweet of somebody claiming about a mom called to school because her son was selling imaginary friends to his classmates at $1 the piece....

Darn if I only knew was possible before. Anyone interested? I have a Poe meets Tim Burton and Tarantino subconscious/imagination apparently.... what could be wrong?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196312 on: July 28, 2021, 07:11:48 am »

If you want to make that toy ethical, market it as a diary that is your friend, no online, no updates, datalink only enabled by the kids voice. Basicallya chat AI that collects some memories for you.
let

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #196313 on: July 28, 2021, 01:49:29 pm »

It finally rained today.

Hours of raining, during the day.

And there will be more for several days.

Blissful relief.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196314 on: July 28, 2021, 02:23:43 pm »

You can have all my rain if you like. What started here like a short but not unusual rain season has become daily rains, and the place we are in has parts of the ceiling literally falling apart.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #196315 on: July 28, 2021, 02:38:31 pm »

Yeah... I'm not really complaining about it, exactly, but it's also been raining basically daily where I'm at for like the last... month or something. Pretty close to straight. Think I've heard mention in passing by other folks it's killing crops/plants around here, just too much water for the things to handle.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #196316 on: July 28, 2021, 03:31:47 pm »

They're predicting ~20mm in a day at worst.

If there is any flooding, the city will flood first. But the river will have to rise one or two meters to reach the city street. I'm a bit higher up than that, with wide and deep river banks.

Frankly, I'm just happy the temps are down for more than a day or two, for once.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196317 on: July 29, 2021, 03:56:13 am »

getting very emotional about Chroma Squad
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196318 on: July 29, 2021, 06:01:02 am »

Yeah... I'm not really complaining about it, exactly, but it's also been raining basically daily where I'm at for like the last... month or something. Pretty close to straight. Think I've heard mention in passing by other folks it's killing crops/plants around here, just too much water for the things to handle.
Here you cant find cilantro (dunno how is written in english, is a little green plant that gives a good taste to everything). The rains killed then and while in these cases they could have been harvested and stored the lack of diesel and gasoline made it really difficult.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #196319 on: July 29, 2021, 07:24:01 am »

Cilantro is cilantro in english, too -- you got it right. Probably one of those words english mugged some other language for, really.

... actually checking, well, yes. American english in particular mugged spanish for the word, specifically referring to coriander leaves. The more you know! and will shortly forget!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 13086 13087 [13088] 13089 13090 ... 13310