Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13091 13092 [13093] 13094 13095 ... 13308

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14323269 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #196380 on: August 09, 2021, 03:31:11 am »

Depends a lot on the philosophy (and economic model!) of the zoo in question
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196381 on: August 09, 2021, 08:02:13 am »

There are many ethical zoos, and many zoos that will gracefully accept animals that have been liberated from excentric people. Im somewhat surprised they managed to stay afloat in your country.

Yeah the whole concept isnt great but the way we are fucking up everything else these zoos might become important safeholds of biodiversity.
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196382 on: August 09, 2021, 09:47:05 am »

Oh well, they are charging 2 dollars per entrance, kids up to 6 years enter free. Also they are a public as in government enterprise. On top of that the elephant, giraffe and other expensive upkeep animals have died and there are no plans to replace them thankfully.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196383 on: August 09, 2021, 10:35:33 am »

:( :( Ok so maybe not that afloat... Wouldn´t even be surprised if they starved or were shot before starving and sold as meat to elites.
let

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #196384 on: August 09, 2021, 10:52:54 am »

Yeah the whole concept isnt great but the way we are fucking up everything else these zoos might become important safeholds of biodiversity.

They already are, various species have already been nearly wiped out and saved by zoo populations. That also leaves out the unquantifiable portion of people who care about the environment as a result of attending zoos as children.

I've always felt that, among civilization's many necessary evils, zoos are probably the single most pleasant.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196385 on: August 09, 2021, 03:14:07 pm »

I think if humans were endangered and robots or extraterrestrials made a zoo for us to preserve the species, I’d be fine with it so long as they take good care of us, think Blue Diamond’s zoo from Steven Universe, she made a human zoo to preserve humans since Pink wanted to do so

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196386 on: August 09, 2021, 03:32:45 pm »

They died of old age and starvation yeah, by official accounts it was old age. I think they gave the lions the elephant meat back then. Yeah, all in all is kinda sad. The elephant habitat was perhaps half hectare (counting the feeding and refugee/vet area) and I might be overestimating it a lot. It was a single elephant but still... I consider a minimum for the elephant to be the size of at least half the whole thing. The zebra population is down from a couple of dozens to one, the metalbawskes, ah hem, I mean the only rhino is clearly too old as the single buffalo and both are about to meet the Emperor in the ethereal.

It was really depressing from a point of view but from the wonderful optics of a little guy it was all wonderful and marvelous. He was disappointed of the no elephant or giraffe deal, oh and that there were chimps instead of gorillas but all in all he had a great time.

I oppose to zoos because in our current times there's enough info about animals on the internet, and while the close up experience can't really be replaced, it can be humanized a lot better (I speak for older zoos in general and this zoo in currently in particular). This means zoos should be refugees of animals that can't live in the wild anymore (like rescued from dickheads who think is cool to have endangered species as pets) and they should be provided with ample, ample spaces and the most natural experience possible.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196387 on: August 09, 2021, 09:13:32 pm »

They died of old age and starvation yeah, by official accounts it was old age. I think they gave the lions the elephant meat back then. Yeah, all in all is kinda sad. The elephant habitat was perhaps half hectare (counting the feeding and refugee/vet area) and I might be overestimating it a lot. It was a single elephant but still... I consider a minimum for the elephant to be the size of at least half the whole thing. The zebra population is down from a couple of dozens to one, the metalbawskes, ah hem, I mean the only rhino is clearly too old as the single buffalo and both are about to meet the Emperor in the ethereal.

It was really depressing from a point of view but from the wonderful optics of a little guy it was all wonderful and marvelous. He was disappointed of the no elephant or giraffe deal, oh and that there were chimps instead of gorillas but all in all he had a great time.

I oppose to zoos because in our current times there's enough info about animals on the internet, and while the close up experience can't really be replaced, it can be humanized a lot better (I speak for older zoos in general and this zoo in currently in particular). This means zoos should be refugees of animals that can't live in the wild anymore (like rescued from dickheads who think is cool to have endangered species as pets) and they should be provided with ample, ample spaces and the most natural experience possible.
I agree with this, I think zoos should be prioritized as follows (Priorities in the same rank are applied equal weight)
Primary Objectives:
Conservation of species who can no longer live in the wild
Ensure that the provided habitats have ample survival needs, space and enrichment
Ensure proper veterinary care
     Secondary Objective
     Give information about the animals and habitats to those visiting the area
          Tertiary Objective
          Human Entertainment, to keep them engaged and hopefully prime them for Secondary Objective,
twinletwhich would in turn hopefully eventually get them into conservation work
((I feel like maybe the primaries should maybe be weighted differently rather than equal but am not sure which weighting of them would provide the most benefit to the non humans long term, not that I’m against humans, but we are of Least Concern))

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196388 on: August 09, 2021, 09:33:24 pm »

Its a main reason I don't particularly like the DC National Zoo over most other zoos I've visited.  Even if the animals actually have the proper square footage they need, that zoo feels really small and... concrete.

Also pandas are overrated, do not @ me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196389 on: August 09, 2021, 11:46:40 pm »

Finally hit 1300 Elo on Lichess! Now the goal is 1500.

And at the start of summer I was like 1100 or 1000 (don't remember). Anyone can improve at chess, especially if playing longer time controls (i.e not blitz or bullet).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196390 on: August 10, 2021, 02:26:13 am »

Finally hit 1300 Elo on Lichess! Now the goal is 1500.

And at the start of summer I was like 1100 or 1000 (don't remember). Anyone can improve at chess, especially if playing longer time controls (i.e not blitz or bullet).
Does this mean that eventually when you become a chess master you'll also become a lich?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #196391 on: August 10, 2021, 03:12:11 am »

Lichess; female lich

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196392 on: August 10, 2021, 03:33:51 am »

I have to admit, "Gnuchess" confused me sometimes as a literal child (like a duchess, right?  Except chess.  I figured out it was just a chess sim, but somehow I expected something *more*).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #196393 on: August 10, 2021, 03:39:07 am »

Knowing what I know, that's probably "GNU Chess". And looking it up... yep, it's the GNU Project's version of a Chess program. Somehow, I imagine the interface being totally bonkers and unintuitive. If they can make GIMP unintuitive, then I'm sure Chess is right up their alley!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196394 on: August 10, 2021, 03:55:47 am »

It was an old X11 app, so yeah.  It was... complicated.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 13091 13092 [13093] 13094 13095 ... 13308