Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13199 13200 [13201] 13202 13203 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14550453 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #198000 on: October 14, 2022, 04:08:48 pm »

hey now, don't knock the birthday cat

sometimes that's all you really need
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198001 on: October 15, 2022, 04:18:02 am »

Who needs other people around when you have birthday cat?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198002 on: October 15, 2022, 07:37:35 am »

As much as I hate quitting caffeine to reset my tolerance, once it's been reset it's so nice for two or three weeks. Every time I have something caffeinated it just makes me feel good.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #198003 on: October 15, 2022, 08:25:40 am »

Auktions are fucking dangerous. There's so many stupid things to buy
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198004 on: October 15, 2022, 08:44:50 am »

Auktions are fucking dangerous. There's so many stupid things to buy
This took me a stupidly long time to decipher. I thought Auktions were a chemical in Coffee...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198005 on: October 15, 2022, 09:47:02 am »

Auctions are too good.  I can barely handle thrift-shops without buying more dollar paperbacks and blue dishware that I don't need.  I just wanted some "new" clothes!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198006 on: October 15, 2022, 01:35:27 pm »

You log in thinking "I need a a table and chair and maybe a wardrobe or something" and then you have to fight the urge to bid on a lute, a fiddle with no fiddlestick, a sabre-and-baton, a porcelaine ocarina, and a random arse pipe collection. I don't even collect pipes
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #198007 on: October 15, 2022, 03:38:40 pm »

I don’t understand that compulsion. What makes buying absolutely useless tat seem like a good idea?

Like for serious, my wife does this and I don’t know why. I’d really like to understand.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198008 on: October 15, 2022, 03:46:19 pm »

A lute is like the opposite of useless tat
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198009 on: October 15, 2022, 07:03:43 pm »

I don’t understand that compulsion. What makes buying absolutely useless tat seem like a good idea?

Like for serious, my wife does this and I don’t know why. I’d really like to understand.
Good question!  I consider myself a really frugal person, particularly with online purchases, but thrift stores get me.  Let me poll my feelings...

This plate is a nice blue and it's only a dollar!  But I should get all four, not break the set.

Well this mug has been marked down to a quarter, and the corporate logo is kinda neat.

I really don't need more books but this one is a true classic, and this one will be funny to my friends, and they're only 50 cents.  overstuffing my bookcase makes me feel cultured anyway, and I do enjoy cheesy pulps when the power goes out

I have deep problems conceptualizing my "self" and these small-value purchases are a safe way to exercise agency

At these prices the more I spend, the more I save!  This is why I didn't pick up a basket, silly brain.  Only what I can carry~

Edit:  And for thrift stores specifically, a lot of it is good memories of shopping with my mom.  As a first child it's where most of my clothes came from, and it was always kinda fun!  The selection was always so different!  I didn't have any conception of it being "cheap" until much later, and by that point I liked being cheap/counterculture.  (Which was before the Thrift Shop song came out, *hipster shades*, but I'm mostly glad it removed a lot of the stigma in the eyes of younger generations.  Reuse!)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 07:21:37 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #198010 on: October 16, 2022, 01:46:53 am »

Woooo it's my birthday. 34 years young and all that.

I'm basically spending it on my own with nothing but Discord and my cat, but hey.
Happy birthday!
I guess you're about a year younger than me ,heh.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198011 on: October 16, 2022, 04:20:14 am »

What's useless to you us useful to others, also just because you don't like it doesn't make it useless.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198012 on: October 16, 2022, 04:30:14 am »

What's useless to you us useful to others, also just because you don't like it doesn't make it useless.
I think hector doesn't like his wife spending all his their money...

*EJ happily dreams about a wife, ideally one that only spends money occasionally at thrift stores, and not one that frequents the Home Shopping Channel/Amazon...*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198013 on: October 16, 2022, 05:09:34 am »

I grew up with everything I owned except basically my underwear second hand, holes in my clothes and nothing the right size. And calculated the cost of everything in how many books it would buy at the library sale and, although it's ridiculous, pounds of onions. I wore the same taken-in and re-hemmed $10 Goodwill dress to middle, high school, and college graduations and have 140 lbs of rice hidden in my closet.

It's a nice fantasy but in 30 years it can be your kid posting on an internet forum about the one time their dad said he got a raise and they could have a good new pair of shoes that didn't let the rain in, and as it turned out he lied because he was aggravated and wanted to get the feeling of control that yanking the rug out from under me and my mom gave. (Or rather, he said: it was a joke.) So now I don't ever trust it if he promises me anything, having of course been put in this position repeatedly when it came to basic material needs, where the idea of handling it was treated as stupid or funny or just not worthy of consideration, and I take care of myself. Oh, and we basically don't talk anymore.

As it should be? Probably.

Sometimes, you buy things that you technically don't need because it makes you feel like there's a foundation of your life that isn't just survival and struggle and providing for others, as seen in my father's (expensive for us) Grateful Dead posters and records collection.

Sometimes, you buy things to have a reserve, of extra shoes or dresses in slightly the wrong size or children's toys for an unborn child, because it was cheap at the right time and god knows what is going to happen with inflation later. Maybe you'll have to move to a colder climate.

Sometimes, somebody fucked with you one too many times and you're giving yourself the hazard pay that no one else is going to offer.

Sometimes, as a gift to convince someone, like a child, that they're in fact worth expending the only resource that anyone ever thinks about, because other love is already, clearly, not available.

Sometimes it's so that you can have status with your female friends and relatives whose husbands spend on them in the aforementioned manner, even with love in place. As when my mother finally got herself an engagement ring after being married twenty years.

I'm dead-tired. Enough people have beat me up emotionally and shoved me in my place this past week that, well, I don't know. I know it's the wrong thread, I felt the need to qualify the above statement.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198014 on: October 16, 2022, 05:20:43 am »

I can mostly support this.

The nice suits I wear come from those times I had a little extra and there was a sale somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 13199 13200 [13201] 13202 13203 ... 13312