Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4127 4128 [4129] 4130 4131 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14565433 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Things yoshi... Oh god no (Happy Thread)
« Reply #61920 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:49 pm »

Well it's out in Europe.
It is?
Our stores suck...
Well according to a friend Nintendo Europe is supposed to gauge interest, before Nintendo America decides if it's going to be released in the US.
If there weren't area codes, you could import it. The British voice acting is pretty good.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61921 on: September 13, 2011, 01:46:27 pm »

For some beautifully inscrutable reason, Cartoon Network has wedged into the middle of its midday marquee cartoon block eighteen year old reruns of 2 Stupid Dogs.  I haven't seen this show in eons, and it has even more double entendres than I remember.  Animation is notably dated, but who cares.

Oh yeah, and I got an actual email response to a resume for the first time since May.  For once, my foot in the door.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #61922 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:09 pm »

That show was really good. Although it always kinda reminded me of a somewhat tamer Ren & Stimpy. I also liked the remakes of Secret Squirrel they had in it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61923 on: September 13, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »

Aw man....and me without a DVR. And about to ditch cable all together.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61924 on: September 13, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »

Yay, solved a difficult problem~

I was scared I'd never be able to make any headway on it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #61925 on: September 13, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »

We had a sub in biology today. And he actually managed to get the underclassmen to shut up. To top it all off, when I looked over at him after we were given our work, he was reading Baldurs Gate II. I gotta say, it's nice having a teacher (even if only it's just a sub) thats a fellow nerd. 

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61926 on: September 13, 2011, 02:28:32 pm »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61927 on: September 13, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »

That show was really good. Although it always kinda reminded me of a somewhat tamer Ren & Stimpy. I also liked the remakes of Secret Squirrel they had in it.

I imagine Ren & Stimpy had something to do with it, it came out alongside a lot of other shows who clearly saw a door opening for making cartoons for stoners that kids would enjoy.  A couple of Hanna-Barbera midweights named Buzz Potemkin and Craig McCracken went to the programming director with a pitch for a simple show to charge through that door, then they hired a freshfaced Russian line-artist named Genndy Tartakovsky to do storyboards, and the rest is history.

Oh yeah, and I got an actual email response to a resume for the first time since May.  For once, my foot in the door.

Welp, turned out to be a recruiting email for a glorified pyramid scheme, some company that specializes in scaring old people and business managers then selling them legal peace of mind.  You can watch their painfully 90s powerpoint for yourself, if you dare.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61928 on: September 13, 2011, 02:45:09 pm »

Ever since a video was linked before I've been watching all these Life's A Glitch StarCraft II commentaries.  This one is awesome.
Damnit, now I'm watching these.
Already watched a few more of those. Makes me wonder if there are any Age of Empires replays that are comment worthy like these?
Look at the When Cheese Fails ones too, there are some rather ridiculous ones in there.
Yup... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3ZrXOrz_0
The one before that was better in the Awesome Counter dept, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61929 on: September 13, 2011, 02:50:05 pm »

I imagine Ren & Stimpy had something to do with it, it came out alongside a lot of other shows who clearly saw a door opening for making cartoons for stoners that kids would enjoy.  A couple of Hanna-Barbera midweights named Buzz Potemkin and Craig McCracken went to the programming director with a pitch for a simple show to charge through that door, then they hired a freshfaced Russian line-artist named Genndy Tartakovsky to do storyboards, and the rest is history.

John Kricfalusi and Spümcø were involved to a certain degree as well. One of my favorite "grown-up jokes" was when they went to a drive-in theater and the little dog says "This movie is caca! Why do people even come to this place anyways?". Cue pan out to lots of parked cars bouncing up and down rhythmically on squeaky suspensions. I nearly lost my shit the first time I saw that.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #61930 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:33 pm »

In terms of great teachers, my history teacher had his facebook status as "Is it okay to Like Sarah Palin's page so I can argue with people?"

Of course, it's somewhat justified. For example, related to "[Rick] PERRY and ISLAMIC CIRICULUM[sic]" ((Also linked was this)), he made a post:
"Teaching students about Islam is not brainwashing our children. Islam is not the same as the Jihadist ideology. Before these fanatics ever hijacked a plane, the first thing they hijacked was their own religion."

And of course, this being Palin's page on FB, some guy responds:
"[REDACTED], where do you get your info from??? Jihad IS Islam. They are one in the same. The example from Mohammad himself is jihad. learn your history before you start talking about something you know nothing about."

Which is just wrong in so many ways, I'm not quite sure what to say.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #61931 on: September 13, 2011, 04:08:22 pm »

I think McCracken's vs Kricfalusi's character design sums up what distinguishes the shows well. 2 Stupid Dogs is a simpler show, it's got a smaller cast, less insane plots, and the characters stay on model. But I wouldn't be surprised if Ren & Stimpy was mentioned during the pitch.

Dexter's Lab is on a whole level above 2 Stupid Dogs though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61932 on: September 13, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »

I think McCracken's vs Kricfalusi's character design sums up what distinguishes the shows well. 2 Stupid Dogs is a simpler show, it's got a smaller cast, less insane plots, and the characters stay on model. But I wouldn't be surprised if Ren & Stimpy was mentioned during the pitch.

Actually, what I had in mind was Rocko's Modern Life produced by an entirely different studio in the same year.  For the commercial flop (and yet, zombie-like persistence) of Ren & Stimpy, you can see a pretty strong thread of the style in a lot of cartoons made between 1991-96, from many different studios.  Pretty much all of them good, even if I never really understood why Angry Beavers was as popular as it was.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #61933 on: September 13, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »

I feel like Angry Beavers was the MST3k of cartoons. Even beyond the straight mockery of B scifi movies it was really self-aware and self-effacing. But Rocko? Rocko might be the best cartoon of that decade. I haven't watched 2 Stupid Dogs in years, but I do remember it having the same kind of weird aimless plots that Rocko did.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61934 on: September 13, 2011, 04:34:08 pm »

Spent the afternoon and the evening on a barbecue with some friends, we were at this lake/field near the city, it was pretty awesome, had food, drinks, music and good fun, a well spent day i say :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4127 4128 [4129] 4130 4131 ... 13312