Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4396 4397 [4398] 4399 4400 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14518549 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: [☢] Things Reimu found in pripyat today thread (CIRNOBYL?!) (Happy Thread)
« Reply #65955 on: November 09, 2011, 04:18:53 pm »

Oh my gog why do I know these people

Because you're awesome.  Now where's your suit?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65956 on: November 09, 2011, 04:19:22 pm »

rainy mood, some fireplace bgm, and Godot's theme from Ace Attorney.
Not a bad idea.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65957 on: November 09, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

Were you asked to explain everything?
Yeah.  It was about 10-18 as a proportion.
That can't be right? The surface area of the earth is about 12*(3*106)2, or approximately 1014 m2. The amount of water in a cow is approximately 103 kg. Water has a density of 1 kg m-3.
103*1018 = 1021 kg water on the earth according to your calculations. We assume for the moment that all water is in the oceans. That would yield an average depth of 1021/1014 = 107 m, or 10.000 km.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65958 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:48 pm »

The dreaded cow vs. ocean debate begins!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65959 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

I think you're making the same mistake as eerr.

Let's approach it from a different angle.

The global volume of water is estimated at 1.37 billion cubic kilometers.
The global cattle population is about 1.3 billion.

If 100% of the water were tied up in cows, each cow would hold roughly 1 cubic kilometer of water (bunch of factory-sized cow water balloons)
Since the actual water volume of a cow is about 1 cubic meter, according to the numbers you provided, then....hmm. That would make cows 10-9 instead of 10-18.

Okay, somebody help me with the math here. Maybe the estimate of water per cow is a bit high? That's 1000 litres of water. Although I can't see how to adjust to get an answer that's off by a factor of a billion or so.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:59:57 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65960 on: November 09, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »

I think you're making the same mistake as eerr.

Let's approach it from a different angle.

The global volume of water is estimated at 1.37 billion cubic kilometers.
The global cattle population is about 1.3 billion.

If 100% of the water were tied up in cows, each cow would hold roughly 1 cubic kilometer of water (bunch of factory-sized cow water balloons)
Since the actual water volume of a cow is about 1 cubic meter, according to the numbers you provided, then....hmm. That would make cows 10-9 instead of 10-18.

Okay, somebody help me with the math here. Maybe the estimate of water per cow is a bit high? That's 1000 litres of water. Although I can't see how to adjust to get an answer that's off by a factor of a billion or so.
Its only a single cow, not the entirety of the cow race, think that's where your problem is at.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65961 on: November 09, 2011, 05:16:21 pm »

That can't be right? The surface area of the earth is about 12*(3*106)2, or approximately 1014 m2. The amount of water in a cow is approximately 103 kg. Water has a density of 1 kg m-3.
103*1018 = 1021 kg water on the earth according to your calculations. We assume for the moment that all water is in the oceans. That would yield an average depth of 1021/1014 = 107 m, or 10.000 km.
Water's density is 1000kg m-3, and the surface area of the earth is about 5 times more than you're estimating.  This would bring your figure for the average depth of the ocean closer to the 4km estimate I used.

Its only a single cow, not the entirety of the cow race, think that's where your problem is at.
And in fact once you adjust for that, it's pretty close to the answer I ended up giving.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65962 on: November 09, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »

Water's density is 1000kg m-3, and the surface area of the earth is about 5 times more than you're estimating.  This would bring your figure for the average depth of the ocean closer to the 4km estimate I used.
Whelp yeah you're right. The density error is a bit of a shameful mistake.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65963 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:38 pm »

I am going to teach myself Python. This is going to be a shameful mark on that thing I used to call dignity, but it'll be fun!
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65964 on: November 09, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »

FRENCHIES!

Godlike poi manipulation. Video of the year.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65965 on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:40 pm »

Python? Pshaw! REAL programmers use ZZT-oop.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65966 on: November 09, 2011, 10:22:57 pm »

Ha.  Home from school.  Yaaaay!

Not only am I becoming more and more excited about the prospect of naginata-ing my way around, but Fishhead wants another date (!) and Hazelnut is acting friendlier.  That, and I have no homework due until next Monday.  Ohhh yeah.  Time to trawl my way through the most homoerotic of Dragonball fanfic recommendations on TV tropes.

To be honest, I am a little bit scared that Fishhead will find out that I am a fujoshi and run off, but whatever.  MAXIMAL POWER
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65967 on: November 09, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »

I'm speechless.  Phoenix Wright is just as corny and gaggy as I thought he would be in a fighting game.

There's something awesome about his hyper combo though.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65968 on: November 09, 2011, 10:28:25 pm »

Is that seriously Phoenix Wright using his teenaged girlfriend to beat up on Deadpool and Wolverine?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65969 on: November 09, 2011, 10:29:32 pm »

He also defeated Dr. Doom by declaring him guilty and sent the Hulk flying by searching for evidence underneath him.

Or sneezing.
Pages: 1 ... 4396 4397 [4398] 4399 4400 ... 13311