Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4634 4635 [4636] 4637 4638 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14382044 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #69525 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:56 am »

Games and music kept me lucid for a very long time. If I didn't have anything to distract myself with, I'd probably explode into a pile of teenage angst and suicide, what with all the trouble (financial, emotional and familial) I'm facing each day.

@Truean

You are a shining example of what people should be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:08:53 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69526 on: January 18, 2012, 01:11:04 am »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69527 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:10 am »

So the power was out, so I played around on my laptop, but eventually the battery was starting to run low, and the internet seemed to have cut out, plus there's only so much Dungeons of Dredmor I can play before enough is enough. So then I took a nap, then went downstairs and made a sandwich by candlelight (it was very romantic, and made me realize all over again how much I love cheddar), then I decided to plug my laptop in so it could charge when the power came back on... Which happened about 30 second later... I guess that was the problem all along, wish I'd done it sooner.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #69528 on: January 18, 2012, 01:22:43 am »

In unrelated and suddenly much less interesting news, happy birthday to me. It's a weird feeling, getting older.

Late but... You're getting old jack. You're getting ooolllllldddd.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #69529 on: January 18, 2012, 01:32:18 am »

How games saved my life.

So this is a pretty awesome site.
I think my love of Pokemon is sorta like this.

When my mum and dad split up, I vividly remember playing Pokemon Blue, fighting Misty for the first time. I was very young and had little idea what was going on, but the positivity of that game made me feel like no matter what, things were just going to be fine anyway. Your Pokemon don't die, they just faint. They get back up and keep going. I've really felt like that throughout my whole life. I don't like letting life get me down, because I remember the 'lessons' I've learnt time and again from games, literature, etc. Perseverance is the key.

That is a neat site. I remember that I was playing Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars when my mom and dad split up, I was 9. I was fighting Belome in Kero Sewers when my dad told me that my mom asked him to leave. I didn't really get the whole impact of that at first. I played a lot of games that week, sitting and thinking all the while. I got Pokemon Sapphire a few months later, and my Pokemon career began. I learned quite a few things from that game, perseverance among them. Hell, the most emotionally attached I've ever been to any character in a game was during my Nuzlocke+++ run on Pokemon Ruby. Those games could be pretty powerful, for being so simple.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69530 on: January 18, 2012, 01:42:12 am »

How games saved my life.

So this is a pretty awesome site.
I think my love of Pokemon is sorta like this.

When my mum and dad split up, I vividly remember playing Pokemon Blue, fighting Misty for the first time. I was very young and had little idea what was going on, but the positivity of that game made me feel like no matter what, things were just going to be fine anyway. Your Pokemon don't die, they just faint. They get back up and keep going. I've really felt like that throughout my whole life. I don't like letting life get me down, because I remember the 'lessons' I've learnt time and again from games, literature, etc. Perseverance is the key.

That is a neat site. I remember that I was playing Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars when my mom and dad split up, I was 9. I was fighting Belome in Kero Sewers when my dad told me that my mom asked him to leave. I didn't really get the whole impact of that at first. I played a lot of games that week, sitting and thinking all the while. I got Pokemon Sapphire a few months later, and my Pokemon career began. I learned quite a few things from that game, perseverance among them. Hell, the most emotionally attached I've ever been to any character in a game was during my Nuzlocke+++ run on Pokemon Ruby. Those games could be pretty powerful, for being so simple.
For me games have helped me cope with the various issues at home, but I also feel like I've just reverted to them to escape when I should have been confronting said issues, and doing constructive things to improve my life/myself.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #69531 on: January 18, 2012, 02:04:28 am »

Successfully making it through my Independent Film class without a book. The store ran out, but I decided to just charge right in regardless. Luckily there are some other students in my (online) class who like quoting questions out of the book before they answer the questions. I just hope they keep doing that until I acquire a copy.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69532 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:26 am »

I have tried to access wikipedia through reflex action 3 times today despite being aware ahead of time. If anyone else is remotely like me this protest is going to have one hell of an impact.
In unrelated and suddenly much less interesting news, happy birthday to me. It's a weird feeling, getting older.

Late but... You're getting old jack. You're getting ooolllllldddd.
If I end up looking like the Schwarzenegger I think I'm doing a lot better than I have any right to be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:17:31 am by Jackrabbit »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69533 on: January 18, 2012, 07:28:08 am »

Given that I had next to zero emotional support growing up and suffered from constant loneliness, I can say safely that the distraction and escapism videogames provided probably stopped me from committing suicide. I was in a bad place for quite a long time.

I just hope that I'm not going back there.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69534 on: January 18, 2012, 08:26:35 am »

I have tried to access wikipedia through reflex action 3 times today despite being aware ahead of time. If anyone else is remotely like me this protest is going to have one hell of an impact.
It's rapidly becoming a sort of game for me -- how much info can I glean from speed-reading the beginning of the article before the blackout kicks in?

In related news, Internet arguments grind to a halt for the day as nobody can make complicated assertions or fact-check an opponent's argument. Everything is reduced to "Umm, you're wrong because <insert random ass-pull>."

In an unrelated tangent, happy belated birthday Jack! You know, 73% of Australians share the same birthday as you, including every Prime Minister ever! (this claim valid for today only).

EDIT: Also, my daughter learned about Martin Luther King, Jr. in preschool for the first time this year but she's having some problems with the concept. She keep referring to him as "Martin King Arthur" and insisting that he was actually a king. This conjures up no end of amusing mashup images in my head.

Martin King Arthur slaying the KKK Grand Dragon.
Martin King Arthur and his rivalry with Sir Malcolm X.
Martin King Arthur's speech, "I hath a dream..."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:01:54 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69535 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »

As a responsible adult you will put such nonsense into your child's mind.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69536 on: January 18, 2012, 12:41:48 pm »

Absolutely. I look to Calvin's dad as a model for making shit up sharing knowledge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69537 on: January 18, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »

So I went to read SMBC today, and found out the site was blacked out in protest too.

Unfortunately it seems Zach made a little bit of a blunder with one of his links.
... there is legislation right now that could make this sort of thing possible. You may think your government is above censoring comic strips for nerds,
but actually, it's happened before.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69538 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:02 pm »

For all my griping in the Sad thread, I'm atleast happy about the petty accomplishment of building a damn fine standard legal Red/White Weenie Token deck on Magic the Gathering: Online.

It's remarkably robust, fast, and lethal, despite the fact that the combined cost of every card in it is about a little bit less than 5 dollars, and that's amazing considering that the average standard legal deck that can compete in even a remote way costs 20-30 dollars, and the deck that can compete in a damn good way blows the lid off your wallet at $100-200+ easily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*sigh*  This brings back memories.  Too bad I haven't played seriously since ... like ... when those three Urza's sets came out.  Wish I had people to play with around here.  And the money to dive back into it. 

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet
« Reply #69539 on: January 18, 2012, 01:44:01 pm »

i got the green light today to plunder an abandoned house  here from the owner, and found some nice  stuff in the house
an old watch (rocket) from the USSR, two 60 year old closets,  some nice wood crafted frames, few old coins from 60's and 70's i think on is silver(could be other metal)
and a "old" stove, and lots of crappy IKEA closets  and wooden planks  to make something from, and a pile of old metal/aluminum

i got stuck a few times with the car in the snow and needed to dig it out, also always lots of fun :)

i like it in this way that we live in a trow away socialite (or wel its slowly coming here)
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
Pages: 1 ... 4634 4635 [4636] 4637 4638 ... 13310