Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5231 5232 [5233] 5234 5235 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14646427 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I didn't like how they reworked Commander bonuses.

For the uninitiated, every Advance Wars game up until Days of Ruin had Commanding Officers who provided bonuses and penalties to all of your units. By dealing and taking enough damage, COs could use a special power (or two) as a sort of limit break.
In DoR, however, you have to place your commander in one of your units, and only that one would get any real advantage. Powers would only affect nearby units, and power could only be built up with the commanding unit - and the enemy AI prioritizes attacking your CO. Lose the commanding unit, lose your power. Bleh.

The story and gameplay were excellent for the most part, though. I still kinda prefer Dual Strike for the sheer amount of potential strategy.
I can completely see why they revamped the commander bonuses.  I can't really vouch for the earlier games but DS was hilariously unbalanced and swingy due to

a) Some commanders simply having abilities that were simply too good.  Grit and Colin were the ones I remember.  Grit's basically turned artillery into cheap rockets and let you inevitably win through attrition when using a meatshield, while Colin again allows you to win on attrition due to cheaper units and being able to tag out to someone with decent attack when you need it.  I seem to remember Hachi's Super CO power having a tendancy to cause you to win on some maps too.
b) Tag powers being ridiculous and often game deciding.  It's not so much "strategy" if the first person to get tag power crushes everything the opponent has and leaves them with no way to retaliate.

I mean, sure, it was awesome to OHKO my opponent in one of the last missions of the campaign with an infantry unit that was 20 squares away from my opponent's HQ at the start of the turn, but I don't imagine that things like that are conducive to balance or fairness.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I didn't like how they reworked Commander bonuses.

For the uninitiated, every Advance Wars game up until Days of Ruin had Commanding Officers who provided bonuses and penalties to all of your units. By dealing and taking enough damage, COs could use a special power (or two) as a sort of limit break.
In DoR, however, you have to place your commander in one of your units, and only that one would get any real advantage. Powers would only affect nearby units, and power could only be built up with the commanding unit - and the enemy AI prioritizes attacking your CO. Lose the commanding unit, lose your power. Bleh.

The story and gameplay were excellent for the most part, though. I still kinda prefer Dual Strike for the sheer amount of potential strategy.
I can completely see why they revamped the commander bonuses.  I can't really vouch for the earlier games but DS was hilariously unbalanced and swingy due to

a) Some commanders simply having abilities that were simply too good.  Grit and Colin were the ones I remember.  Grit's basically turned artillery into cheap rockets and let you inevitably win through attrition when using a meatshield, while Colin again allows you to win on attrition due to cheaper units and being able to tag out to someone with decent attack when you need it.  I seem to remember Hachi's Super CO power having a tendancy to cause you to win on some maps too.
b) Tag powers being ridiculous and often game deciding.  It's not so much "strategy" if the first person to get tag power crushes everything the opponent has and leaves them with no way to retaliate.

I mean, sure, it was awesome to OHKO my opponent in one of the last missions of the campaign with an infantry unit that was 20 squares away from my opponent's HQ at the start of the turn, but I don't imagine that things like that are conducive to balance or fairness.
Sadly, yes some COs were OP. That's been a problem since the first game, it wasn't new to DS.
I dunno about how well multiplayer worked, but it was totally possible to survive Tag Powers, and the best part was that the damage caused could be enough to trigger your own Tag Power, thus initiating a Hollywood-worthy counterattack.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

There was multiplayer? I never found anyone.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

This forumgoer made me happy today.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

This forumgoer made me happy today.

Uh... me?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Something something why aren't the Romans falling for this.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

That would be because they're dead. And have been for several century's. I think you're a bit late dude.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be because they're dead.

Just like that joke!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

The month after exams are going to be AWESOME.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I just made the MVP list in a TF2 match for the first time!

Big yay for me. I guess that means that I'm getting better.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Back to different avatar as im going dubstep
Pages: 1 ... 5231 5232 [5233] 5234 5235 ... 13312