Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6591 6592 [6593] 6594 6595 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14552929 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #98880 on: February 07, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »

Recreating of Victory gate would be way cooler.
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #98881 on: February 07, 2013, 01:39:01 pm »

Be careful with that. I remember a cooking competition on TV where somebody tried to model the Taj Mahal in chocolate, and they wound up not even finishing it because it turned out to be far more complicated than they realized at first glance. Lots of geometric ornamentation (which admittedly lends itself to computer modelling better than to labor-intensive chocolate craft.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98882 on: February 07, 2013, 01:44:49 pm »

Okay, I might have lied a bit about not being able to write something that isn't meaningful, because I have another thing I've been kicking around that I may as well throw out there.  An epyllion-type long poem, kind of a mix of HP Lovecraft and Conan the Barbarian, about human tribes around the time the last empire of Serpent Folk fell.  I don't really have anything about this except the basic idea and a couple embryonic bits of verse, but it'll probably involve a kind of culture hero figure (for a culture that doesn't exist, of course) who makes his name uniting the disparate tribes against remnant Serpent Folk.  I've also got some ideas about some kind of semi-magitech aspects with the serpent folk, specifically I think it would be cool to talk about serpent folk artifacts that the reader can recognize as technology but the characters and the narrator see them as some kind of evil magic (Like, Krom the Barbarian or whatever smashes their blasphemous tablets, which are described in a way that makes it pretty obvious they're some kind of circuit board)
Shoes...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #98883 on: February 07, 2013, 01:52:15 pm »

Victory gate would be amazing, but far, far beyond my abilities right now.  I'd either have to re-create it in a less 'falling apart' form (requires imagination and recreation, and really staring at a bunch of references in different lighting to understand da fuq that brickwork is doing) or use an incredible combination of modeling-fu and texturing-fu to make it as is.  I don't have enough fu... for now.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98884 on: February 07, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »

And then it hit me!  The Disintegration of Doctor Klein, a novella, maybe a novel, maybe even a novelite, I'm only just outlining the skeleton right now.  Near future, maybe even the present, a scientist begins to incorporate cybernetics into his body.  Over the course of the story, he disintegrates.  His personality is subsumed by the technology so that by the end, the man called Doctor Klein is gone, and something completely different is inhabiting his body.  A whole commentary on the nature of the self, transhumanism, specifically the Ship of Theseus aspects of transhumanism, technology's relationship with man, all that shit.
Most works on that subject are incredibly heavy handed. Comparing switching out an arm to sacrificing a piece of your sanity or somesuch, despite people having used glasses for example without having their eyes stolen by technoghosts for a while now.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98885 on: February 07, 2013, 02:08:14 pm »

And then it hit me!  The Disintegration of Doctor Klein, a novella, maybe a novel, maybe even a novelite, I'm only just outlining the skeleton right now.  Near future, maybe even the present, a scientist begins to incorporate cybernetics into his body.  Over the course of the story, he disintegrates.  His personality is subsumed by the technology so that by the end, the man called Doctor Klein is gone, and something completely different is inhabiting his body.  A whole commentary on the nature of the self, transhumanism, specifically the Ship of Theseus aspects of transhumanism, technology's relationship with man, all that shit.
Most works on that subject are incredibly heavy handed. Comparing switching out an arm to sacrificing a piece of your sanity or somesuch, despite people having used glasses for example without having their eyes stolen by technoghosts for a while now.
There are also the unfortunate implications about people with prosthetics and such. It would take a very delicate touch to do it in a way that doesn't come off as technophobic.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98886 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:04 pm »

Yes, I wasn't planning on that kind of thing.  Replacing his hand with a prosthetic won't change his personality, but it might push him along toward more serious stuff.

I'm thinking the transformation will kind of progress exponentially.  He starts with small stuff that doesn't affect him, that builds his courage, and he starts replacing actual brain tissue, delegating mental processes to the cybernetics.  Things deteriorate much faster at that point, and at some ambiguous point in the process there's not enough of Dr. Klein left to actually resist what's happening to him.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98887 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:09 pm »

despite people having used glasses for example without having their eyes stolen by technoghosts for a while now.
Yes, keep telling them that. Soon our power shall be enough to conquer the world's eyes. And then, the true form of our plans may come to fruition.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #98888 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »

Be careful with that. I remember a cooking competition on TV where somebody tried to model the Taj Mahal in chocolate, and they wound up not even finishing it because it turned out to be far more complicated than they realized at first glance. Lots of geometric ornamentation (which admittedly lends itself to computer modelling better than to labor-intensive chocolate craft.)
It is very complicated, but if you approach it with a modular mindset it becomes much easier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #98889 on: February 07, 2013, 04:28:38 pm »

I  got civ 4 working! I GOT CIV 4 WORKING! On virtualbox on XP wich I had to boot in safe mode to install guest additions with 3d acceleration. It was all worth it. I have it now. Can't install bts tough, i made my virtual HD too small.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98890 on: February 07, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »

I  got civ 4 working! I GOT CIV 4 WORKING! On virtualbox on XP wich I had to boot in safe mode to install guest additions with 3d acceleration. It was all worth it. I have it now. Can't install bts tough, i made my virtual HD too small.
This is why VMware excels over virtualbox, granted what a pain the ass to get win98 working

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #98891 on: February 07, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »

But is Civ4 really worth playing without Ragnar Lodbrok and his missile cruiser swarm?  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98892 on: February 07, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »

...despite people having used glasses for example without having their eyes stolen by technoghosts for a while now.
Maybe your eyes weren't stolen by technoghosts.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98893 on: February 07, 2013, 05:13:14 pm »

SCP-1173 is brilliant.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98894 on: February 07, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »

After a week of arguing, fighting and threatening this DSP with violence, I finally got something good out of it.  I managed to improve the performance by a factor of about 35x, which puts me in a good position to actually get some useful research out of it for once.

I may actually get a publication this year!  I can dream!
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 6591 6592 [6593] 6594 6595 ... 13312