Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6633 6634 [6635] 6636 6637 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14382584 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #99510 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:12 am »

Just programmed a full game in C++ in 2 hours.  Woo!

Ok...so full game translates to one of those little text based rpg 1v1 fighters where you try to kill the other guy with a predetermined set of skills...

But still full game.  I even gave it fluff.  It's cataclysm themed, yer fighting a turret armed with a smg, a grenade launcher, and a lazer cannon, with a Savage 111F with a grenade launcher attachment and a railgun.  Here's hoping for bonus points for customizing it around the instructions.

Huh, I didn't know it was even possible to get something done in C++ in only 2 hours. Although that might be just me, preferring other languages for small programs.

Of course it's possible to get something done in C++ in a couple of hours. He did make it text-based after all. Only takes 5 seconds to write "hello world" in C++. Most of the lost time for newbies, I'd put down to not knowing the syntax properly. Once you're over the learning curve, it's not necessarily slow to make stuff.

The main advantage speed-wise is for interpreted/scripting languages, since you don't have to hit a button labelled "compile". Time actually writing code isn't very different between languages. (but remember the compile-time error checking in C++ is far more advanced than a scripting language, so interpreted languages may end up with far more uncaught bugs).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:02:44 am by Reelya »

Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FORUM_LURKER]
    • View Profile

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #99512 on: February 19, 2013, 02:17:53 am »

New co-worker.  Turns out he went to the same fucked up small town school system that I did, though he's about 7 years younger than me.  Been trading stories about how crazy that place was.  He identifies with everything I have to say about it.  Feels good to be able to verify with someone 15 years later that the problems I had there weren't just because of me and my recollection of the place hasn't warped.  It really was (and apparently still is) that fucked up, bigoted child molesting teachers and all.

Was also interesting to hear that my class' football team went to state two years after I left.  I was one of the best players on that team, if not the best.  My last year there, I was the only ironman player on the team, which means I was in every play of every game the entire year.  If I had stayed, I could have gone to state.  Maybe they would have won :P..... but I'm glad I got some real education and social rehabilitation elsewhere instead.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #99513 on: February 19, 2013, 03:03:05 am »

Ok...so full game translates to one of those little text based rpg 1v1 fighters where you try to kill the other guy with a predetermined set of skills...

But still full game.  I even gave it fluff.  It's cataclysm themed, yer fighting a turret armed with a smg, a grenade launcher, and a lazer cannon, with a Savage 111F with a grenade launcher attachment and a railgun.  Here's hoping for bonus points for customizing it around the instructions.

Huh, I didn't know it was even possible to get something done in C++ in only 2 hours. Although that might be just me, preferring other languages for small programs.
Don't hate on C++ too much ;_; It's not really that dark hole of unproductivity and arcane errors people seem to make it out as.

I don't deny that it's a tad slow, though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99514 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:02 am »

My mom is talking to me again. I'm still unsure if things will remain that way but it's an improvement and the world seems less scary, at least for the moment.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #99515 on: February 19, 2013, 05:13:03 am »

So OotS #870. What a (sort of) tweest!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #99516 on: February 19, 2013, 08:07:40 am »

YES! :D

The little marks in the middle!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:22:34 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99517 on: February 19, 2013, 09:20:20 am »

Now just make the water carry and deposit the eroded stone(?) and you can make pretty pictures with sand!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99518 on: February 19, 2013, 09:43:14 am »

Don't hate on C++ too much ;_; It's not really that dark hole of unproductivity and arcane errors people seem to make it out as.

I don't deny that it's a tad slow, though.
I'm not hating, I was just noticing that I've never ever written a small C++ program before (with the obvious exception of "Hello World").

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99519 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:35 am »

Happy: I noted a large discrepancy in my student aid numbers. Got all pissed off and marched up to the aid office to give them a piece of my mind. A friend was behind the counter, knew exactly what I was going to ask, and it just turns out that they do aid disbersement in a funky way (split up into two pieces). Turns out, I still have ~$2000 coming next month. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99520 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:34 am »

FINALLY found a way to watch some mystery Science Theature!

Let me tell you, wake up during the wrong years and it is impossible to see any or buy the DVDs.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #99521 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:09 pm »

Happy: I noted a large discrepancy in my student aid numbers. Got all pissed off and marched up to the aid office to give them a piece of my mind. A friend was behind the counter, knew exactly what I was going to ask, and it just turns out that they do aid disbersement in a funky way (split up into two pieces). Turns out, I still have ~$2000 coming next month. ^_^

yea, they do that to make sure you are actually going to attend classes instead of running away and  spending that $2k of "free money" on hookers and blow without even trying to get an education.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99522 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »

yea, they do that to make sure you are actually going to attend classes instead of running away and  spending that $2k of "free money" on hookers and blow without even trying to get an education.
Every college student knows that the hookers and blow have to wait until after class. It's part of the entry symposium.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99523 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:31 pm »

Every college student knows that the hookers and blow have to wait until after class. It's part of the entry symposium.

Class Syllabus:

Chapter One: Hookers and Blow
Chapter Two: Complex Interactions in Quantum Materials and the Dynamics of Quarks
Chapter Three: Coffee/Cigarette breaks
Chapter Four: Using Google to Cheat
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99524 on: February 19, 2013, 02:42:42 pm »

Meh, the tenured professors always bogart the best hookers anyways.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 6633 6634 [6635] 6636 6637 ... 13310