Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1348 1349 [1350] 1351 1352 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14375380 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #20235 on: September 13, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »

Well, Stoicism is avoiding the display and reaction to emotion. Spock HAS emotions, he just doesn't react to them. And anyway, I'm just posting things that should make me feel X, even when they don't (perceptibly).

I see.  So you don't actually feel any pain when you go outside?

I have one, but I think I'm not legally allowed to carry it for another 2 years.  Or something like that.  UK knife law is kinda cryptic.

Yeah, I keep thinking "What if I get tied up?  What if I want to eat an apple?  What if I need to attach a message to a tree?"

Knives are so wonderful.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20236 on: September 13, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »

One of my friends has a small, innocuous cat-shaped thing attached to a keychain. It looks like some kind of toy or an arty keychain fob.

Link!

In actuality, it's a reinforced pair of spiked knuckle-weapons, with the ears sharpened and reinforced with metal, designed to puncture up to an inch on a solid punch. In matters of life or death, it's also perfectly spaced to severely injure the eyes.

I find the fusion of function and form rather cool.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20237 on: September 13, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »

Knife Laws:  Don't get caught with a knife.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20238 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:20 pm »

With a blade over three inches long.

You can do a lot with three inches.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20239 on: September 13, 2010, 06:47:03 pm »

Well, Stoicism is avoiding the display and reaction to emotion. Spock HAS emotions, he just doesn't react to them. And anyway, I'm just posting things that should make me feel X, even when they don't (perceptibly).

I see.  So you don't actually feel any pain when you go outside?

What? Non sequitur.

One of my friends has a small, innocuous cat-shaped thing attached to a keychain. It looks like some kind of toy or an arty keychain fob.

Link!

In actuality, it's a reinforced pair of spiked knuckle-weapons, with the ears sharpened and reinforced with metal, designed to puncture up to an inch on a solid punch. In matters of life or death, it's also perfectly spaced to severely injure the eyes.

I find the fusion of function and form rather cool.

Awesome.

I was thinking I could do something like that with a little metal pen I have. Replace the pointy bit with a tiny scalpel blade or something.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20240 on: September 13, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »

Yeah, I keep thinking "What if I get tied up?  What if I want to eat an apple?  What if I need to attach a message to a tree?"

Knives are so wonderful.
Right now, I ask my dad for his in such situations :/ (the ones that seem to come up most are "Open a tin", "Open annoying packaging" and "Uncork a bottle").

And someone taking the time to tie you up would have to be pretty careless to leave a knife on you, heh.

Knife Laws:  Don't get caught with a knife.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.  But then if you're under 18 you're not allowed to buy knives, so I don't know whether that means I'm not allowed even shorter knives until then.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20241 on: September 13, 2010, 06:49:33 pm »

See, that Cat-looking thing is brilliant, because no cop will ever call you on it for fear of looking like a paranoid idiot who arrests people for  any psudo-bladed objects.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20242 on: September 13, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »

What? Non sequitur.

Haha, you complain a lot in the sad thread about burning up when you go outside ^_^;;  Doesn't sound like the definition of stoicism I know.

Actually, I'm just picking fights because I feel like arguing.  I should stop.  Or go found an argument clinic.

And someone taking the time to tie you up would have to be pretty careless to leave a knife on you, heh.

You never know, man.  You never know.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20243 on: September 13, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »

Philosophical writing discussion:

Does the presence of a Mary Sue-esqe character in a work automatically make the work bad? Or is it possible to have an entertaining narrative that still contains such a character? I was thinking about how Captain Kirk was a bit sue-ish in Star Trek, but it didn't really make the show any worse.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20244 on: September 13, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »

Vector has a good point, I have seen quite a bit of complaining for someone so stoic.  Not like I can talk, I'm all mad, all the time.
Shoes...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20245 on: September 13, 2010, 06:55:10 pm »

For some reason, when I read wild wings I immediately thought:
"Wild wing, (pause), you make my throat sting. Wild wing."
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20246 on: September 13, 2010, 06:56:01 pm »

Vector has a good point, I have seen quite a bit of complaining for someone so stoic.  Not like I can talk, I'm all mad, all the time.

Well, I complain calmly.

EDIT:

Also, what is the point of being on a forum where nothing is ever discussed? All that ever happens here is that people insult me. I should just stick to the RTD boards.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20247 on: September 13, 2010, 06:57:10 pm »

I am so far unable to get angry, but i can still laugh.

Go me.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20248 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »

Does the presence of a Mary Sue-esqe character in a work automatically make the work bad? Or is it possible to have an entertaining narrative that still contains such a character? I was thinking about how Captain Kirk was a bit sue-ish in Star Trek, but it didn't really make the show any worse.

I think it depends on which definition of Mary Sue you use.  The standard one is that the Sue steals the entire show and runs everything into the ground, so that every other character is left paled and attached to the Sue.  Nothing is left untouched.

In the Star Trek instance, I felt that Shatner stole the show a bit too much and made a lot of idiotic command decisions with little negative consequences (captains should not visit planet surfaces all the time, man), but he wasn't a Sue.  He definitely had bad points to go with his good points, and felt like an interesting character, despite being a bit flat at times.  Furthermore, he often had to consult other people for advice, rather than dominating everything and everyone due to Rays of Perfection or somesuch.

That said, maybe we should discuss this in Creative Projects?

Yeah, same here.  I definitely feel like I'm whingeing less (or at the least, with less fervor) than I used to, but I'm still not quite as calm as I'd like to be.  Anger must also be conquered!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20249 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »

Nope. There is really NO single mistake that can't be redeemed by sufficient brilliance in other areas. The classic example for sues is The Divine Comedy.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 1348 1349 [1350] 1351 1352 ... 13310