Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4476 4477 [4478] 4479 4480 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14523880 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67155 on: December 03, 2011, 10:32:58 am »

Just slept longer than 11 hours. Rarely felt so good in the morning.
Well, if you can call 3:30 PM "morning".
Which I can!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67156 on: December 03, 2011, 11:50:35 am »

You know what's even more bad ass? A katana made out of Aztec obsidian. I heard it could cut through a tank made of diamond.  :P
In all seriousness though, obsidian is hella sharp. We had to learn how to knapp flint and obsidian in my archaeology classes.
Flint: Spend half a day whacking rocks together to get one decently sharp chunk of rock the size of your hand.
Obsidian: One whack, and every fragment you pick up can be used for something. If you don't accidentally cut your self picking it up. The problem is getting it tooled to the size and shape you want without just splintering it into a million pieces.
You just pointed out your own flaw in the arguement, obsidian is also extremely brittle.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67157 on: December 03, 2011, 11:52:05 am »

Katanas immediately rust and nick if you don't polish them four hours a day, keep them on just finest silk and sing them to bed each night in perfect Japanese.

May as well get an obsidian one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67158 on: December 03, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »

Katanas immediately rust and nick if you don't polish them four hours a day, keep them on just finest silk and sing them to bed each night in perfect Japanese.

May as well get an obsidian one.
I'm saying this would shatter when you hit something with it, despite the impression DF gives. The entire reason it forms blades so sharp is that it's full of fracture lines, and it breaks very easily. The Aztecs got around the birttleness problem in their "swords" by using small shards embedded on a wooden stick. They also used it in knives of obsidian for sacrifices, since it's more reliable on a smaller scale, but those tended to break rather easily as well.
The edge is very sharp though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67159 on: December 03, 2011, 01:38:13 pm »

Obsidian-tipped arrows? Makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Now that I think about it, why can't you make stone bolts in DF?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67160 on: December 03, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »

Obsidian shatters, katanas bend. I guess a smith could straighten them...

Wait I was going to say something else here. Damn, I forgot what.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:44:08 pm by Darvi »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67161 on: December 03, 2011, 01:57:53 pm »

I almost forgot. Yesterday, I received the following movies:

Batman(the 1966 Adam West one)
Tigerland
Van Wilder
Super Troopers
Sunshine

Sunshine, haven't watched it yet, but from looking at the back of the DVD case, has got to have one of the scientifically dumbest premises I've seen(which is why I grabbed it): in 2057, the sun is dying, and mankind's solution is to launch a manned nuke at it to reignite it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67162 on: December 03, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »

Sunshine, haven't watched it yet, but from looking at the back of the DVD case, has got to have one of the scientifically dumbest premises I've seen(which is why I grabbed it): in 2057, the sun is dying, and mankind's solution is to launch a manned nuke at it to reignite it.

I think one of my friends told me about that one. If it is the one he told me about, the troll science keeps going all through the film, so don't you worry.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67163 on: December 03, 2011, 02:01:48 pm »

An obsidian sword would be ungodly sharp against an unarmored target but if you parried, hit armor, hit something solid, anything like that it would break.  Katanas are brittle enough without making them out of glass.

Like Pnx said, the Aztecs never used big blades of obsidian, just small chunks, embedded in wood in the case of macahuitl.

From my understanding, if you took a random katana and a random Western sword, chances are the katana would be higher quality because they were artisan-crafted nobleman's weapons, as opposed to Western swords which were mass produced.  An equivalent Western nobleman's sword made of high quality steel would be better than a katana though.  Despite all that goofy culture-wank shit you see in anime, if a Western sword and a katana hit full force the katana is much more likely to break.  They weren't made for hard parries.

Plus the armor, I don't think Japan had anything as good as late era plate armor which basically made you invulnerable to cutting weapons, and I don't know if a samurai would've had the knowledge or tools to circumvent it.  Conversely I know a knight would, because he would've been used to fighting people in full plate and probably would've had access to an estoc, rondel, whatever.

They're both radical, I guess would be the best summary of the situation.
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67164 on: December 03, 2011, 02:14:31 pm »

Where did you find the mod, Itnetlolor?
Found it while looking at some of the fanart. Saw this crazy-ass Chenjesu-looking flagship thing, saw that it was official art for the mod, looked deeper into the mod, and it turned out to be a fan-made continuation of the Starcon story 5 years after the events of Starcon 2. I think it also uses some Word of God information given by the creators of the game/series as well.

Like how disorganized the Ur-Quan became after the war (and how some of them have regrouped, while the Khor-Ah are a different matter), how everyone's still nervous about the Orz, despite being *happy campers*, and despite having some time with them, their language is still all *frumple*. The VUX are still their usual selves, regardless of the Ur-Quan Heirarchy being torn down, the Mycon are an endangered species since being put under a slave shield, and despite how they spread across the galaxy, the Alliance are still essentially nice guys, and don't want them to go extinct; so we have that conundrum regarding Juffo-Wup. There's more information in the game I have yet to discover myself; but it seems like this time around, the game is now more focused on diplomacy and thinking ahead, more than adaptation, and grabbing all sorts of crap, and creating a battleship unmatched in force on it's own.

So far, I'm liking this mod. Primarily because it holds continuity, and has the same sense of humor as the original game still, and works more like an expansion pack if anything (The captain still has his sense of humor, and you still have your chioces of smartass answers/questions). So to put it, The Melnorme still hold interest in bio-data and rainbow worlds, but now they're interested in less tangible data as well. I may have to ask the Arilou about what they might mean about that (if only they didn't abstain from the Alliance now for their own reasons; gee, thanks.); provided I can find a new portal to access Quasi-space.

I like how the game maintains most of the original starmap, but has it offset so Sol is now on the upper-right portion of the map (justifying also why Ur-Quan space, and everywhere past is unaccessable under Chmmr orders, and how pointless it would be to explore that space now). Now we have this new quadrant of space to explore from Yehat and Chmmr space downward and leftward for equivalent amount of additional exploration; while still maintaining familiar ground to build up/mine/chat in and to get familiar with the game again.

Considering we lack a portal-spawner, and are currently limited to 200 units of fuel at a time, we'll need to make some friends in unexplored space, or find a new means of traveling that distance without running out of gas. May need to make trade with the Melnorme to see if they can soup up our craft to be a more efficient explorer vessel, and hopefully, similar to the badass frigate we once had. Plus, I can't wait until the Mark-II is made available (I hope). Compared to the old ship in SC2, the Mark-II is a battlecruiser.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:20:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67165 on: December 03, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »

Do you have a link to it? I can't find it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67166 on: December 03, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

Do you have a link to it? I can't find it.
Linked it yesterday on this thread. Here:
After making a post in the WTF thread, I had an urge to look around and see if there's anything new going on in the Starcon 2 front.

Well:
A mod of a faux-sequel to the game is in the works, and a demo just recently got released: Link
Found a bunch of more recent fan art of the game: Link
Oh yeah, and Ur-Quan Masters has updated to version 0.7 since this summer: Link

There goes a big chunk of my time now. Now I wanna play it again.
You can check out the HD-mod (linked inside the mod page) as well for the original game. They did a good job in beefing up the quality from the old 256 colors to 32-bit quality.

I applied the HD-mod already included in the mod (they have the classic style as well), and it is every part as well made as you'd expect it. Though there are a few odd spots here and there. For example, a couple Syreen and Earthling chat screens in the HD mode is sorta in uncanny valley territory (sorta too real looking for this game. Some are well made by comparison; I was sorta expecting them to look more like Talana in the ending (in detail quality) to SC2 than how they turned out in the HD mod).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:30:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67167 on: December 03, 2011, 02:26:25 pm »

I guess the  :P face and the reference to cutting through a tank made of diamond weren't sufficient as <SARCASM></SARCASM> flags.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the limitations of obsidian. I was more invoking it as another "OMG this stuff was the awesomest weapon EVAR" meme.

@Itnetlolor:
Huh. So they opted to move away from where the Rainbow Worlds were pointing. Guess they didn't want to do the Precursor storyline and/or run into canon problems with SC3 (IIRC, you got to the area in SC3 by following the giant arrow...although virtually everyone considers SC3 to be like Highlander 2: It never happened, I have no idea what you're talking about, don't make me give you a lobotomy.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67168 on: December 03, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »

Doesn't even the original StarCon devs say SC3 didn't happen?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67169 on: December 03, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

I guess the  :P face and the reference to cutting through a tank made of diamond weren't sufficient as <SARCASM></SARCASM> flags.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the limitations of obsidian. I was more invoking it as another "OMG this stuff was the awesomest weapon EVAR" meme.

My favorite of those is krav maga.  Ever since Cracked talked about it krav maga has been the martial art of choice for people who aren't qualified to have a martial art of choice.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 4476 4477 [4478] 4479 4480 ... 13311