Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4478 4479 [4480] 4481 4482 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14374537 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67185 on: December 04, 2011, 03:40:54 am »

Plus the armor, I don't think Japan had anything as good as late era plate armor which basically made you invulnerable to cutting weapons, and I don't know if a samurai would've had the knowledge or tools to circumvent it.  Conversely I know a knight would, because he would've been used to fighting people in full plate and probably would've had access to an estoc, rondel, whatever.
Well...
6:10 onwards - if you can deal with hard texan accents
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #67186 on: December 04, 2011, 04:14:45 am »

Oh man, I think I may have a problem. No sooner does my internet start working, and I start browsing fanart. 2 hours later, I've checked about 5% of the ~28000 images on the board I'm checking, and I've got a dozen blogs bookmarked to check later. And my shipping folder has doubled in size.

Wait, why the fuck do I even have a shipping folder
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67187 on: December 04, 2011, 04:26:33 am »

Yay, crisis averted without requiring me to stay up all night!

CRISIS AVERTED!

That was my motto as Safety Captain for my high-school's robotics club. If I ever had to hand someone a pair of goggles or gloves, or make them stop something unsafe, I would shout that loudly.

Imagine in your head that you are about to cut into a piece of wood for a carriage on a robot. Suddenly a man runs up to you, throws some goggles and gloves at you, then draws his symbol of office, THE SAFETY SWORD (an old toy wooden sword with duct tape all over it), whacks you with it, and runs off, shouting CRISIS AVERTED for all to hear.

Fun times.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67188 on: December 04, 2011, 09:18:07 am »

Got into a session of relating to a friend the history of my grandparents, and all the mind-boggling shit they lived through and yet still came out pretty much happy and well-adjusted.

It put things into perspective, which I need sometimes. Yes, I have a few problems to deal with. Yes, I could have had a better childhood.
However, I still have all my body parts, I haven't been in a coma, I haven't buried siblings, I don't have any chunks of metal embedded in my body, etc. All things being equal, I have it pretty good. If they could go through all that and still be happy and sane, then I need to suck it up and quit worrying about paying off student loans or not having the job I want.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67189 on: December 04, 2011, 04:26:05 pm »

Plus the armor, I don't think Japan had anything as good as late era plate armor which basically made you invulnerable to cutting weapons, and I don't know if a samurai would've had the knowledge or tools to circumvent it.  Conversely I know a knight would, because he would've been used to fighting people in full plate and probably would've had access to an estoc, rondel, whatever.
Well...
6:10 onwards - if you can deal with hard texan accents

While I don't know about those guys, I thought the curved edge of the katana was supposed to be its most important aspect.  The longsword may be just as sharp, but it can't effectively slice so much as hack when one swift motion is required because the straight edge of the sword hits, but then there's no cutting motion along that edge on the surface it strikes.  The katana is supposed to strike with a push/pull motion between both hands that maximizes the force and motion of the curved edge along the struck surface for a really penetrating cut.  Less useful against armor, but then I think the prevalence of other weapons on a Japanese battlefield is often neglected.  They had more than katanas.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:28:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #67190 on: December 04, 2011, 04:52:25 pm »

Katanas were useful because metal armor never became widely used in Japan due to the lack of natural resources. Besides, the Yari spear was far more prevalent, and the Naginata was about as popular with Samurai if not more so. On the other hand, bows were considered more useful than any of these, for the most part.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67191 on: December 04, 2011, 06:25:19 pm »

First, I had some fun with two games I found on my computer this weekend: Diggr and Spelunky. I played Spelunky for four hours straight yesterday.

Second, I got all my homework finished by 4:00PM, giving me about 4 hours of completely free time.

Third, I put all of the DF Talk segments on my MP3 player, to listen to on bus rides. And I found out the player tracks progress through podcasts, so I don't have to do it manually.

Fourth, and best, I found a tutorial for making a roguelike in C++! This means that I can actually have a final project for that class, instead of some stupid calculator or guessing game; and more importantly, I have a starting point for productive recreational use of the language. I am immensely pleased.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67192 on: December 04, 2011, 08:07:01 pm »

Truly, a greater battle of wills has never been seen on this Earth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67193 on: December 04, 2011, 08:35:20 pm »

Truly, a greater battle of wills has never been seen on this Earth.
Haha, that's pretty good.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67194 on: December 04, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »

I beat Binding of Issac. I am the cool guy now.

8)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67195 on: December 04, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »

Neverland just started on Syfy. Pretty interesting so far.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #67196 on: December 04, 2011, 09:31:58 pm »

During the time I was muted and inspired by Bauglir's super-sandwich, I made a meat sandwich.

Not a sandwich with bread slices, meat, and possibly dairy, MEAT! Salami frozen hard in place of bread slices (Don't want the sandwich to slip out), and a crapton of wursts inside. Just meat, and more meat. It may give me acid blood, but who cares? IT WAS DAMN DELICIOUS

Again, inspiration from Bauglir, the sandwich god  :P

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67197 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »

Got into a little debate with a religious relative. last two lines in the conversation?

Uncle: Jesus walked on WATER! How can you still reject god after that!?
Me: Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. that's at least 10x as awesome
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67198 on: December 04, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »

So, I'm on part 23 of the Sonic 2006 LP and the challenge for this part was to find the best Sonic related fanwork.

It has been found.  Wow what did I just watch.  That was amazing.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67199 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »

Got into a little debate with a religious relative. last two lines in the conversation?

Uncle: Jesus walked on WATER! How can you still reject god after that!?
Me: Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. that's at least 10x as awesome
True enough.

Although I bet Jesus could have done that too, if he had been born in the modern day.

"This is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind, and a small landmark for dad I mean God."
"Huston? We have a problem... Yeah, Christ keeps turning our water into wine and then trying to pilot the ship."
"Our oxygen filter is broke! What? No, God cannot clean the fliter, God needs to stay the hell away from delicate scientific equipment!"
"Six million dollars and one hippy later, and Man has walked on the moon."
"Wait, you forgot your suit!"
"Thank God we landed on the ocean... JESUS A BOAT IS COMING DON'T TRY TO WALK TO SHORE!"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 4478 4479 [4480] 4481 4482 ... 13310