Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6577 6578 [6579] 6580 6581 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14382940 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #98670 on: February 04, 2013, 02:02:09 am »

What... what does things like Gau or Gogo (or the Yeti, I guess?) count as? Considering Gau's mimicry can do shit like let him breath pearl and crap, I'd imagine that counts as something more than mundane :P

Probably a couple things I'm forgetting, too...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #98671 on: February 04, 2013, 02:12:26 am »

Pirates don't have stashes, they share their smut.
Exactly why they felt so justified in raiding his collection.
Head canon is now that Descan lives on a very well dressed and manly pirate ship.
I'm suddenly reminded of Arrested Development.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98672 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:10 am »

I had an idea for a scifi short story.  A couple, actually.  I'd put them in the writer's apprenticeship thread but no one reads that.  Any insight?  I don't really have specific stories in mind, just the image.

1.  A future interstellar society dominated by a collection of sapient races who were all genetically engineered by a race of precursor aliens.  Humans are the only sapient species to have truly evolved, and as a result are seen as ultraviolent savages by the other aliens.  The Earth is destroyed or uninhabitable, and nomad humans have taken to their new role as brutes, serving as mercenaries to the aliens who, due to their unique upbringings, are both physically and mentally unequipped for combat.  Kind of a subversion of the whole "humans are average" trope.  Maybe a pulp-style story about a human mercenary?
Sort of like David Brin, but with a destroyed Earth, then?

2.  Kind of the same thing, in a few ways.  Society on Earth has collapsed and the planet is a safari zone for wealthy aliens, for whom humans are the most deadly and challenging game to hunt.  They're cunning little bastards, you'd almost think they were intelligent in their own way.  This could go either way, possibly the typical gotcha twist ending where you don't realize humans are the prey until the end, or possibly a story about a human being hunted.  Hmmm...
Predator, sort of. Also, there was an old pen & paper RPG called "Hunter Planet" where the PC's were the very thing you describe. It was comical though, in the vein of games like Paranoia, and normally ended with all the PC's dying due to the "wildlife"

http://rpggeek.com/rpg/1051/hunter-planet

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98673 on: February 04, 2013, 06:22:45 am »

I got onto the Spy Party beta.
This gives me some happiness.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #98674 on: February 04, 2013, 07:50:23 am »

I am pleased to announce that I managed to survive the character creation of deadEarth despite having to roll for 12 mutations (didn't bother with skills though, since you first need to roll 2d6 on each of the 100 skills). I ended up as a Saint Bat fish Alien with a big head, and is able to steal the abilities of the first player character she touches, although she can only carry -40 lbs of stuff. Since the game didn't bother to tell me what faith the mutation makes you believe in, I like to pretend it's batman.

Spoiler:  radiations (click to show/hide)
If you can find the game at your Friendly Local Gaming Store, it might be worth buying, just so you can see the radiation table. Good luck with that though, since as I understand, the book is out of print.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98675 on: February 04, 2013, 07:53:01 am »

and is able to steal the abilities of the first player character she touches

Too bad this is dead earth. The LAST place you actually want to have that sort of ability.

It is like being rogue but instead of taking people's powers you take their suckyness.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #98676 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:18 am »

Well, to be fair, it gives you the better of the scores in everything. Then again, this is the game where to reliably beat standard difficulty, you need to roll 5d6s, where 3d6 is considered average.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98677 on: February 04, 2013, 09:48:42 am »

I had an idea for a scifi short story.  A couple, actually.  I'd put them in the writer's apprenticeship thread but no one reads that.  Any insight?  I don't really have specific stories in mind, just the image.

1.  A future interstellar society dominated by a collection of sapient races who were all genetically engineered by a race of precursor aliens.  Humans are the only sapient species to have truly evolved, and as a result are seen as ultraviolent savages by the other aliens.  The Earth is destroyed or uninhabitable, and nomad humans have taken to their new role as brutes, serving as mercenaries to the aliens who, due to their unique upbringings, are both physically and mentally unequipped for combat.  Kind of a subversion of the whole "humans are average" trope.  Maybe a pulp-style story about a human mercenary?

I had a somewhat similar idea several years back for a sci-fi mil fic, where an advanced race shows up and offers all sorts of technology to the various Earth nations, in return for helping them with a war going badly. Turns out that in their society, warfare had become so ritualized and rigid that they were no longer capable of innovating. Humans were chosen because of their demonstrated ability to adapt and innovate. Various nations contribute token forces to a multi-national expedition. So there's already tensions between different groups within the MNF because there's no unified human command.

Couple of potential twists:
1. Once they get through the jumpgate, the connecting gate at Earth gets destroyed so they're stuck. The Visitors promise to rebuild it to let them go home, but only after the war is over.
2. The Visitors are Starfish Aliens, and their enemies that the humans have to fight are actually much more human-like.
3. MNF splinters some time after arriving, with some siding with the enemy, some trying to get home, and some just trying to find a place to live.

I had actually been working on it with an eye towards an RPG setting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #98678 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:50 am »

2. The Visitors are Starfish Aliens, and their enemies that the humans have to fight are actually much more human-like.
They're actually aliens from the near future, and the MNF are tricked into fighting their own descendants (or maybe very-near future, and tricked into fighting their own previous comrades). They only find out after winning they exterminated the human race.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98679 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:30 am »

Y'all might wanna read the Engines of Light series by Ken MacLeod. Nit very MilScifi, but does deal with some of the issues you mention.
This is a blank sig.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98680 on: February 04, 2013, 12:05:05 pm »

Finished my CWB test today, now I gotta wait until friday to find out if I passed.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98681 on: February 04, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

I introduced girlfriend to Shin Megami Tensei last night. ~HOHOHO~

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98682 on: February 04, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »

I realized that my "bring soda to a party, trade it for beer" strategy works marvelously, as evidenced by my excessive drunkenness last night. I'll have to remember that in the future when I'm without access to booze.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98683 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:31 pm »

I spent some more time talking with my crush today, I am now in the midst of trying to beat my brain into accepting the idea of asking her out for a cup of coffee some day soon instead of freaking out, withdrawing and then regretting not doing anything for months like it usually makes me do. I really want to actually get to know her.

I am still on a high from this short five minute conversation we had, damn I have not had this feeling in a long time. One could almost say I feel Awesome !~~ HIHIHIHIHIHI~~!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #98684 on: February 04, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »

I spent some more time talking with my crush today, I am now in the midst of trying to beat my brain into accepting the idea of asking her out for a cup of coffee some day soon instead of freaking out, withdrawing and then regretting not doing anything for months like it usually makes me do. I really want to actually get to know her.

I am still on a high from this short five minute conversation we had, damn I have not had this feeling in a long time. One could almost say I feel Awesome !~~ HIHIHIHIHIHI~~!
You should propose her.
(´・ω・`)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6577 6578 [6579] 6580 6581 ... 13310