Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6940 6941 [6942] 6943 6944 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14384400 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #104115 on: April 22, 2013, 11:16:18 pm »

I'd like a GTA-style game that starts off "normal", with all the gangland glorification, only to suddenly and immediately go Spec Ops: The Line on you. The game goes on an increasing downward spiral until the main character becomes utterly psychopathic and commits a murder-suicide on the main love interest via immolation while on a drug trip. The end.

I should not be allowed to write video game scripts.
Would be a great "Bad End".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104116 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:07 pm »

Alright, for all the people that were kind and nice to me for my endless whining in the sad thread, I'm going to have to render it all retroactively obsolete.

Through some miracle, a true miracle, I managed to text Deli Girl again, got a reply and a date going at the very last second. I met up at her place to watch some movies, and holy shit does this wind up just being just the greatest night. Within minutes we're laughing and joking with eachother, we're just talking and getting to know eachother. We wind up cuddling on the couch, and by the time I'm ready to leave, she keeps me held at the door for maybe a solid five minutes and we're just kissing and holding eachother like we've been doing this forever.

I never in a million years woulda thought things would turn out that good. I just don't know how luck like this exists, and if not luck, I wouldn't think I'd have this ability hidden inside of me for all this time.

So yeah, happy.

dude

this isn't luck

quit not-blaming yourself for everything not-bad that happens

and the inverse of that, too

Yeah. You did this to yourself. You F**KING earned all that AND you deserve it pal.

There's no "luck" element. Only hard work and effort. You gave it your all.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #104117 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:38 pm »

I'd like a GTA-style game that starts off "normal", with all the gangland glorification, only to suddenly and immediately go Spec Ops: The Line on you. The game goes on an increasing downward spiral until the main character becomes utterly psychopathic and commits a murder-suicide on the main love interest via immolation while on a drug trip. The end.

As long as you utterly cloaked the entire second half of the game in deep symbolism (and possibly throw in a rape scene somewhere, nothing boosts a good psychotic symbolistic game like some good rape scene symbolism) that could actually be the script for a variety of mainstream video games. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #104118 on: April 22, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »

Alright, for all the people that were kind and nice to me for my endless whining in the sad thread, I'm going to have to render it all retroactively obsolete.

Through some miracle, a true miracle, I managed to text Deli Girl again, got a reply and a date going at the very last second. I met up at her place to watch some movies, and holy shit does this wind up just being just the greatest night. Within minutes we're laughing and joking with eachother, we're just talking and getting to know eachother. We wind up cuddling on the couch, and by the time I'm ready to leave, she keeps me held at the door for maybe a solid five minutes and we're just kissing and holding eachother like we've been doing this forever.

I never in a million years woulda thought things would turn out that good. I just don't know how luck like this exists, and if not luck, I wouldn't think I'd have this ability hidden inside of me for all this time.

So yeah, happy.

dude

this isn't luck

quit not-blaming yourself for everything not-bad that happens

and the inverse of that, too

Yeah. You did this to yourself. You F**KING earned all that AND you deserve it pal.

There's no "luck" element. Only hard work and effort. You gave it your all.
MURICA wait what are we talking about?
Oh yeah. Good job Joshua.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104119 on: April 22, 2013, 11:22:27 pm »

I would love to play both of those games, Cthulhu and MSH. Albeit for very different reasons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104120 on: April 22, 2013, 11:31:41 pm »

As long as you utterly cloaked the entire second half of the game in deep symbolism (and possibly throw in a rape scene somewhere, nothing boosts a good psychotic symbolistic game like some good rape scene symbolism) that could actually be the script for a variety of mainstream video games. :P
No symbolism. Quite the opposite, actually. I'd want the theme to be the stark, painful reality of gang life, as presented, without deception.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104121 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:53 pm »

No symbolism. Quite the opposite, actually. I'd want the theme to be the stark, painful reality of gang life, as presented, without deception.
In that case you might be better off making a movie then a game. I'm not sure how well the bleak reality would fly pass the game censors. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104122 on: April 22, 2013, 11:39:42 pm »

I meant about what I said, not about what you said.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104123 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43:04 pm »

???

I was simply saying that a piece of media where the message is about the bleak reality of gang life would fly much better as a film then as a game (as a matter of fact I can think of several films that have successfully presented said message, but no games that have done it).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104124 on: April 22, 2013, 11:44:32 pm »

I'm just confused at this point. Oh, sleep deprivation.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104125 on: April 22, 2013, 11:53:51 pm »

???

I was simply saying that a piece of media where the message is about the bleak reality of gang life would fly much better as a film then as a game (as a matter of fact I can think of several films that have successfully presented said message, but no games that have done it).

All the more reason to make a game that does it, in my opinion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #104126 on: April 22, 2013, 11:58:43 pm »

Actually, that's a pretty fitting script given the current state of the FPS market. Between The Line, Far Cry 3, and Bioshock Infinite, that sort of script is basically par for the course this year. I mean, a bunch of what you described actually is Far Cry 3's plot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104127 on: April 23, 2013, 12:02:13 am »

Actually, that's a pretty fitting script given the current state of the FPS market. Between The Line, Far Cry 3, and Bioshock Infinite, that sort of script is basically par for the course this year. I mean, a bunch of what you described actually is Far Cry 3's plot.
Not as much. Far Cry 3 is about hallucination and insanity in a rational world gone mad (the game definitely has several subdued fantasy and sci-fi elements). What I'm describing is essentially Spec Ops: The Line's attitude towards first-person shooters applied to the glorification of gang life and culture, with a focus on the hopelessness and suffering of such a life. I admit it does sound reminiscent of the Far Cry 3 ending, but I wasn't really intending that and they're only superficially similar.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #104128 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:10 am »

Why did I do this? FF6/MtG crossovers ahead, by which I mean in the previous sentence.

EDIT: Wait, supposed to be Rare. Durn.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:13:00 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104129 on: April 23, 2013, 06:33:29 am »

That's too dramatic, MSH. 

Here's a modified idea:

You play a fourteen year old, in 9th grade in a Los Angeles high school.  As you're coming home from school a crew of bloods gets hit by crips, and one of the dying bloods give you his gun.  If you help and succeed (I'm thinking no actions are forced on the player, which makes me wonder what the game will do if the player doesn't help)

Anyway, if you help and succeed, whichever side you helped lets you join.  You're super cool at school now, flying the colors, all the girls want you, all the guys want to be you.  The missions start out heinous and get more heinous, things the GTA games gloss over like getting arrested or shot by the police are played as straight as possible, etc. etc.

When you finally die, by completing the game or just by getting shot along the way, it flags in your registry the death and some of the details of it.  From then on whenever you open the game it shows your character's gravestone and a newspaper clipping, ranging from a couple lines about gang violence to front-page spreads if you went down doing something crazy.  On the anniversary you might see a few flowers.

That's it.

Namewise, I like the quiet irony of "Thug Life"
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 6940 6941 [6942] 6943 6944 ... 13310