Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7234 7235 [7236] 7237 7238 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14557851 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #108525 on: July 04, 2013, 02:09:58 am »

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS

The job itself isn't anything exciting.  Working in the same field that holds zero interest for me.  Only hoping to make a very small amount more than I do already.  All I'm looking forward to is a work environment that isn't toxic.  Where I've heard they treat their employees with dignity and accommodation.  Which may be huge just by itself.  I knew this place has been bad for me, but approaching this event has made it sink in even more.  I keep thinking about how much I've stagnated here over the last 7 years, and change is scary.  Especially because I essentially work on an information assembly line, doing mindless repetitive stuff.  Where I'm going, I'll be involved in an entire process from beginning to end.  Much more involved.  Instead of being one blank face in a sea of cubicles, I'll be working with a small team making real decisions and stuff.  Going from this to that feels really ominous, even though I know it will be good for me and there's little reason to doubt myself about it.  I've picked up deep habits of paranoia and pessimism that I didn't have before I started working here.  I'll have to be careful not to sabotage myself with them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108526 on: July 04, 2013, 02:24:09 am »

I've been playing Final Fantasy VII (played...a really long time ago but I lost the first disc before I finished it, so only now going to play through. They remade/ported the game so it would work on newer systems, and you can buy it for $10, which is great!)

Then I stumbled across this:
http://kotaku.com/3d-printed-final-fantasy-vii-characters-look-pretty-ama-656453862

I personally think FF7 was a bit too over-enthusiastic about the 3d.  The cinematics and pre-rendered environments were great, but they should have stuck to hand-painted/pixel art at the very least for the characters for just one more game.  I think even FF4's sprite characters are better looking than those things.

It is quite possibly nostalgia talking, but I am rather fond of FFVII...the graphics aren't "cutting edge" for this era, but they aren't terrible, either. (Perhaps a little blocky, but not usually too far zoomed in either.) Actually, yeah, it's probably all nostalgia saying that the characters look good, now that I actually think about it seriously...but hey, I play roguelikes. I guess I'm just accustomed to terrible/non-existent graphics.  Oh, I'm playing the PS version, but I hear that the port to modern systems also features some upgraded graphics, too.

Glance once, greet (smile, nod, don't do anything as appropriate), look away.  If you want to get their attention to talk to them, glance, look down, glance again, nonverbal greeting, verbal greeting.

Someone had to give me exactly those instructions once, too.  Used to look at the ground all the time to avoid this.

This is excellent, thanks. The reasoning for there not being an internet guide to this eludes me.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108527 on: July 04, 2013, 02:40:29 am »

It's definitely nostalgia. The FF7 character models were kinda' horrible. FF7 came about while gaming was still in the "3D is awesome but we have no goddamn idea how to use it" phase. Firmly in that phase.

It's like. They were better than a lot of stuff around that era and during that phase of gaming. Better does not entail good. Better does not entail not bad, either. In this case, it just meant less horrible. But still horrible. As SG says. They should have stuck with sprites for a while longer.

So should basically every bloody body else during that general time frame. Good gods, there was aesthetic monstrosities during that period. Still are in a lot of cases, where you see flat out and extreme degradation of aesthetic quality when a series goes from 2D to 3D. It gets depressing, because you see it happen time and time and time again and it's just... you'd think developers would have figured out the pattern by now, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108528 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:50 am »

It's definitely nostalgia. The FF7 character models were kinda' horrible. FF7 came about while gaming was still in the "3D is awesome but we have no goddamn idea how to use it" phase. Firmly in that phase.

It's like. They were better than a lot of stuff around that era and during that phase of gaming. Better does not entail good. Better does not entail not bad, either. In this case, it just meant less horrible. But still horrible. As SG says. They should have stuck with sprites for a while longer.

So should basically every bloody body else during that general time frame. Good gods, there was aesthetic monstrosities during that period. Still are in a lot of cases, where you see flat out and extreme degradation of aesthetic quality when a series goes from 2D to 3D. It gets depressing, because you see it happen time and time and time again and it's just... you'd think developers would have figured out the pattern by now, y'know?
I think Castlevania: SotN did it right. Mostly 2D sprites, and what was 3D didn't need to have a high polygon count. (The save points are really the only 3D objects that come to mind.)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108529 on: July 04, 2013, 02:49:32 am »

Eh, it's a case of people thinking "2D is the old way of doing things. To be successful and cool we have to move to 3D or be left behind!"

Then you end up with "Escape from Monkey Island".

It's a common occurrence. A new development is made that enough people think will change how things are done forever, leap into the new technology without really thinking, problems occur and it ends up being still viable, just in generally specific cases.
Like movies and 3D images (Which has been tried to make mainstream about 2 times now?). It works, but it's not something that can be used with everything flawlessly.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108530 on: July 04, 2013, 04:34:48 am »

After years of practice, I think I'm finally getting the hang of making myself make eye contact, and not then holding it so long it gets awkward. +1 Charisma get!
In the past few years I've finally managed to reliably make eye contact.  But I always get the feeling that either the person I'm looking it is staring into my soul, or that it looks like I'm about to kill someone. 

I managed to find the Professional Computing section in a bookstore that's only an hour from where I live.  My parents wouldn't let me get anything, saying that I would be too tempted to hack other people, but given enough time I might be able to talk them into buying me some books from there. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #108531 on: July 04, 2013, 04:42:36 am »

Look at someone's nose. They can't tell the difference :P

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #108532 on: July 04, 2013, 04:43:09 am »

Shit. I've got two things to go to that are both cool but I have to choose....
1. Holiday with my family.
2. Hacker-Festival with some really interesting workshops and lectures. I can even get in for free, but it's on the other side of the country.

But if I go to 2 then my family might not be happy... Or perhaps they will. I don't know. Maybe I should just ask them :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108533 on: July 04, 2013, 04:47:08 am »

Oh, that looks like an absolute ton of fun.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #108534 on: July 04, 2013, 04:47:16 am »

"on the other side of the country" shouldn't really be a reason not to go for you :P

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #108535 on: July 04, 2013, 05:24:22 am »

"on the other side of the country" shouldn't really be a reason not to go for you :P
From Zeeuws Vlaanderen to North-North Holland? Using public transport, because they'll need the car... is about (checking 9292...) 5 hours. That's a lot.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108536 on: July 04, 2013, 05:26:24 am »

From Zeeuws Vlaanderen to North-North Holland? Using public transport, because they'll need the car... is about (checking 9292...) 5 hours. That's a lot.

Five hours? Huh. Small country-people. 5 hours is from the centre of my state to the northwest point.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #108537 on: July 04, 2013, 06:02:16 am »

Wee had a wonderful vacation at my sisters place. Got home late last night.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108539 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:58 am »

Had the best and first birthday greeting card.

From a friend.

A friend that I really cherish for being my friend.

And the bare idea that it was a huge paragraph of recent events ever since we've met..coupled with her unique humor...

I'm crying tears of joy. Or tears of appreciation. I dunno, they're all salty anyway.

PM card is best card. Words can't describe how amazing its sentimental value is.

Given how its the first sincere heartwarming card-type I've ever gotten from anyone who wasn't family. Ever.

Also, its with her own translated poem from her language.

Tears.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:24:47 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 7234 7235 [7236] 7237 7238 ... 13312