Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7236 7237 [7238] 7239 7240 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14377101 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #108555 on: July 04, 2013, 03:08:44 pm »

I got bored and figured out that if I wanted too, I could make satellites drop from orbit with their CO2 thrusters. For some reason, knowing that as a geek, I can utterly destroy civilization out of boredom makes me happy.
Not really. You could stop some communications and maybe, if you're really good at maths, inflict minor damage upon a settlement. Then get arrested.
Nothing massively disruptive.
True. Now I am thinking about my dad, we used to discuss terrorist attacks on long car rides, why they were ineffective, and how to improve them. I think we ended up deciding that gasoline tanker trucks half full with a remote lighter would work best. Being bored, and having of had a dad that was a alpha geek makes for interesting conversations. Oh well. Wherever you are dad, I hope you got some computers to mess with. Just try and stay away from supreme commander, I got my ass kicked enough there by you, and I don't think most religions allow internet connections.
Are you implying that someone of such geekitude wouldn't have a backup AI in a secure location that it more-or-less trained to have a thought process like his, and then giving it an internet connection? Allowing your mildly destructive plotting to have an effect basically forever.
*snort* Have you ever looked at how hard it would be to make an AI that is relatively human? One estimate said that the hardware required would be the same size as texas, going up 12 feet in the air. People are pretty stupid generally, but they would notice that much land covered in what would look like something out of terminator.
Put a wall around it and stick a Disney logo on the side.
Nobody would dare touch it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #108556 on: July 04, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »

There's probably remote islands the size of Texas out there. Or the moon.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108557 on: July 04, 2013, 03:17:26 pm »

i don't think Australia would take too kindly to that.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108558 on: July 04, 2013, 03:19:12 pm »

What about the moon? Nobody cares about the moon, and as long as you color it grey no-one will notice it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #108559 on: July 04, 2013, 03:23:57 pm »

Damn satellites take all the wonder of exploration, though...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #108560 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:32 pm »

Step 1: Destroy all satellites.
Step 2: Destroy all maps.

Exploration is now possible again. It's so easy, it just takes two steps.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108561 on: July 04, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »

I believe 1 makes 4 redundant, since it would probably result in a multiple meteor-like scenario that would reduce the world to a pre-industrial state at best.

Hey, wait, that means it becomes post-apocalyptic too! Yay! Now exploration is possible and exciting!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #108562 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54:42 pm »

I made hamburgers out of vegetables*. Surprisingly, nothing went wrong, except that the first two fell apart due to insufficient thickening.

*Also beef.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #108564 on: July 04, 2013, 04:47:48 pm »

I don't know anything about ballet, much less this particular one. That said, wow.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108565 on: July 04, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »

It has been raining for, as near as I can tell, at least the last sixteen hours straight. This is glorious.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108566 on: July 04, 2013, 05:31:48 pm »

Well, here we go. Tomorrow is my first day at my new job, but first I have an approximately 8 hour bus ride today. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108567 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:00 pm »

It has been raining for, as near as I can tell, at least the last sixteen hours straight. This is glorious.
Same here. I love the rain so I'm ok with it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #108568 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05:24 pm »

Spent Fourth of July with very accepting friend's family. They all know how I am trans and they all are ok with it.

Helped cook inside (not grill). Played with the kids; got shown all of his daughter's paper dolls and various things in her little imaginary world :).  Watched movies with them. Talked with the kids. Talked with the parents. Had hamburgers, etc. Got hugged by a 7 year old girl whose parents think it's adorable.

It is nice to know the world isn't entirely full of bad things.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #108569 on: July 04, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »

Glad you had/you'll have a great day, Truean. :)

1. - in 5 hours time from this post.
2. That PM from that one friend.
3. Present. I now have a beautiful flute.
4. Fridays. My schedule today leaves me with lots of squeezable free time in which to spend it on work and/or playing said flute. My priorities are set.
5. My niece, who always goes all smiley and cheery whenever we finish praying before eating and all. For a 1yr/7mo old, she's real smart..And cute. Can't forget the cute.
6. Friends/Family.
7. Everyone else.

:'(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:13:42 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 7236 7237 [7238] 7239 7240 ... 13310