Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7398 7399 [7400] 7401 7402 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14556265 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #110985 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:36 pm »

Wow, I feel bad now because I didn't really like it that much.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110986 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:26 pm »

I know, right?  All those shots where it's like WE COULDN'T FIT IT ALL ON THE SCREEN

My bastard friend said it was "Good, but not worthy of Del Toro."  What the fuck does he know.  It was fucking fantastic fuck that guy.

You can not like it, but don't crap all over Del Toro for daring to make a genre picture.

I feel like if you haven't been rabidly in love with giant robot shows at some point in your life it will not be all that entertaining.  The performances were extremely stylized, but to someone not in the know they would likely see them as poor or flat acting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110987 on: August 11, 2013, 10:40:14 pm »

I feel like if you haven't been rabidly in love with giant robot shows at some point in your life it will not be all that entertaining.  The performances were extremely stylized, but to someone not in the know they would likely see them as poor or flat acting.
Yeah, I think that's the case. My robo-death experiences have been more small-scale, with battle bots and the robot arena game, where it's the details that count.
Every time they pulled out some secret weapon in that movie, my only thought was always "Why didn't they just use that earlier?"
Guess I'm just not into giant robots.
The Derail Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110988 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:17 pm »

Definitely sounds like you haven't been exposed to giant robots as a genre, yeah. Especially what's known kinda' generally as Super Robots. It's a fairly specific thing. Haven't seen Pacific Rim, but from what I've been picking up there's a degree of... homage.

Looking forward to seeing PR a few years from now, haha :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #110989 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »

"Why didn't they just use that earlier?"
For the same reason you don't tell the punchline halfway through the joke.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110990 on: August 11, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »

My bastard friend said it was "Good, but not worthy of Del Toro."  What the fuck does he know.  It was fucking fantastic fuck that guy.

You can not like it, but don't crap all over Del Toro for daring to make a genre picture.
In your friend's defense, IIRC Del Toro had to abandon his Mountains of Madness project to make Pacific Rim. Now that would have been an awesome movie I would have really wanted to see and horror/fantasy is the genre Del Toro does best.
I haven't seen Pacific Rim, so I can't say anything bad about it, but I'm not all that interested in giant robots either.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110991 on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:23 pm »

Personally, I was always more into the "giant monster" half of the equation. I actually liked Cloverfield :P
Not saying anything bad against giant robots, of course!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110992 on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:46 pm »

Not a narrative reason. An in-universe reason.

Ninjadedit: People generally don't like Cloverfield? I was under the impression that it was received pretty well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:01:23 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110993 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »

Yes, but jokes don't normally result in decapitation.
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110994 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:41 pm »

Yes, but jokes don't normally result in decapitation.
Let's not forget the massive collateral damage that occurs between the start of the joke and the punchline due to giant monsters.
Okay yes this analogy sucks.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110995 on: August 11, 2013, 11:04:49 pm »

@ Graknorke
It got mixed reception. Some liked it, others hated it. The "jitter cam" especially turned off a lot of viewers.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110996 on: August 11, 2013, 11:12:43 pm »

Yeah, but the thing is that the universe runs on narrativium.  Why do you really need two pilots?  Narrativium.  Why the glowing reactor in the chest?  Narrativium.  Why that black umbrella held in that particular way?  Blah blah blah blah blah forever.

Like I said, it's a film that's so extremely stylized that you're supposed to understand that everything on-screen is a really amazingly cool metaphor, and the plot is about the characters, not the big problem that the characters are growing around.

In your friend's defense, IIRC Del Toro had to abandon his Mountains of Madness project to make Pacific Rim. Now that would have been an awesome movie I would have really wanted to see and horror/fantasy is the genre Del Toro does best.
I haven't seen Pacific Rim, so I can't say anything bad about it, but I'm not all that interested in giant robots either.

Yeah, but... look, I was mostly complaining about my friend, who has a long history of snobbism.  I understand that others may have wanted a different movie from Del Toro, but the point of view that it isn't good enough for him really turns my stomach.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110997 on: August 11, 2013, 11:14:28 pm »

@ Graknorke
It got mixed reception. Some liked it, others hated it. The "jitter cam" especially turned off a lot of viewers.
Oh, right. I rather enjoy Marble Hornets (which I still need to catch up on) so yeah that's not something that bothers me.

Nenja'dedit: Eh, PR sounds kind of like it wants to be pretentious but without really being all the way there. It's just stood outside the circle of pretentious, wanting to be part of the gang but at the same time not wanting to interrupt.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:17:48 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110998 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:30 pm »

@ Graknorke
Oh, right. I rather enjoy Marble Hornets (which I still need to catch up on) so yeah that's not something that bothers me.
Now That's awesome watching.
The Derail Thread

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #110999 on: August 11, 2013, 11:18:32 pm »

From what I heard Del Toro dropped Mountains of Madness because Prometheus had already released and had many similarities to what there were planning with Mountains. Similar scenes and camera angles, a similar plot with aliens being progenitors of humans, the horrible creations of said alien progenitors, a team of scientists being killed off one by one, etc.

Pacific Rim didn't "force" him to abandon Mountains, but Pacific Rim was probably his rebound project.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 7398 7399 [7400] 7401 7402 ... 13312