Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7399 7400 [7401] 7402 7403 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14510012 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #111000 on: August 11, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »

Yeah, but the thing is that the universe runs on narrativium.  Why do you really need two pilots?  Narrativium.  Why the glowing reactor in the chest?  Narrativium.  Why that black umbrella held in that particular way?  Blah blah blah blah blah forever.
The "two pilots" thing seemed more like a safety precaution than anything else. The male lead managed to pilot Gipsy Danger by himself long enough to kill a kaijuu, Crimson Typhoon had three pilots, and I think the commander once piloted by himself in his flashback.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #111001 on: August 11, 2013, 11:22:31 pm »

"Why didn't they just use that earlier?"
For the same reason you don't tell the punchline halfway through the joke.
Yes, but jokes don't normally result in decapitation.
You're doing jokes wrong then.

"Why didn't they just use that earlier?"
For the same reason you don't tell the punchline halfway through the joke.
Not a narrative reason. An in-universe reason.

Ninjadedit: People generally don't like Cloverfield? I was under the impression that it was received pretty well.
In-universe be hanged. You've got giant mechs being assembled to fight giant monsters. It is basically the single most ineffective use of technology for fighting giant monsters. You fire railguns at them. You drop tungsten lampposts on them. You use the world's massive arsenal of ICBMs. The whole premise of mecha is based on the fact that we are doing highly impractical things by using advanced technology in a silly way.  That's really what it boils down to. If it takes itself completely stone-faced serious, it only makes that worse.

Also, Cloverfield was awful. It had characters so incredibly irritating that you were cheering for everyone to die and die quickly just so you wouldn't have to listen to their annoying whining in their annoying voices. Their 'fake amateur camerawork' muddies most scenes into incomprehensibility, and since the actors lines consisted of sheets of paper with the words 'SCREAM' printed over and over, it was basically the equivalent of sitting in a rollercoaster tunnel for 2 hours.

As for marble hornets, that was decent until it got to the bit with the stupid knife wielding guy in a hockey mask. At which point it completely ruined the entire slenderman mythos for me through sheer power of cheese. Aside from that, it was a decent internet ghost story.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #111002 on: August 11, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »

Found out that Kojima is making all actors involved in the motion capturing in the new MGS game go through firearms training so their handling of guns will be as accurate as possible. God damn, I fucking love Kojima.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111003 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:27 pm »

Yes, but jokes don't normally result in decapitation.
You're doing jokes wrong then.
I'm sigging this
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111004 on: August 11, 2013, 11:31:17 pm »

I understand that others may have wanted a different movie from Del Toro, but the point of view that it isn't good enough for him really turns my stomach.
Well, from what I understand he co-wrote the movie and he certainly seems to have fun going crazy with models and special effects, so I'm sure the movie was perfectly fine for him.

Pacific Rim didn't "force" him to abandon Mountains, but Pacific Rim was probably his rebound project.
Ok, maybe I got that confused.
I just really wanted that At the Mountains of Madness movie, just imagine the shots over the colossal ruins on the Plateau of Leng and... sigh. Del Toro would have been perfect for a big screen Lovecraft movie and now it's not gonna get made because of some studio nonsense.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111005 on: August 11, 2013, 11:40:01 pm »

Pretty sure the trope was around years before the movie. The Core (!!) also used it.

Also, Tay Zonday and Dungeons and Dragons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111006 on: August 11, 2013, 11:41:06 pm »

I'm just saying that they should ahead and done Mountains, because fuck Prometheus. Let the ignorant types whine about copying while we enjoy the Mythos.

Unobtainium predates Avatar by a long shot. Speaking of Avatar, it's far more interesting if you take it with the military humans being in the right. S'better than the Dances With Wolves sap story with creepy undertones of alien gods and mind-slavery.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111007 on: August 11, 2013, 11:48:22 pm »

From what I heard, Unobtanium has been used for years in engineering circles as a stand-in for "a material that has the properties we need but does not currently exist or is impossible according to our knowledge".

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111008 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:03 pm »

Personally, I was always more into the "giant monster" half of the equation. I actually liked Cloverfield :P
Not saying anything bad against giant robots, of course!

This. Giant robots are not my thing, because I get to thinking, "But then you have to scale the width of the legs up three times as much as you do the height, so at like sixty feet, you've got a fucking pyramid, besides, there are much better shapes for a big kill-y mech..."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111009 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:06 pm »

Personally, I was always more into the "giant monster" half of the equation. I actually liked Cloverfield :P

This. Giant robots are not my thing, because I get to thinking, "But then you have to scale the width of the legs up three times as much as you do the height, so at like sixty feet, you've got a fucking pyramid, besides, there are much better shapes for a big kill-y mech..."
I never actually put that much thought into the physics involved. I just grew up watching Godzilla movies and never quite grew out of it :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111010 on: August 12, 2013, 12:07:15 am »

And once you're at that level, you'd might as well just make helicopters the size of castles, and just make a flying fortress.
The Derail Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111011 on: August 12, 2013, 12:07:42 am »

Dammit, it's not supposed to be reasonable, it's supposed to be cool.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111012 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:24 am »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111013 on: August 12, 2013, 12:12:25 am »

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111014 on: August 12, 2013, 12:13:06 am »

yes that's what the movie is about
Pages: 1 ... 7399 7400 [7401] 7402 7403 ... 13311