Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7652 7653 [7654] 7655 7656 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14538389 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #114795 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:32 pm »

Right, but 666 is one of those numbers seen as "unlucky" in many places. I don't know if the ancient Romans saw it that way, but I intend to use it for NaNoWriMo and the fact that it looks really good and is easy to remember when translated to the numerals is icing on the cake.

According to one of my Lit teachers, back in the first century 666 was used refer to Emperor Nero, because of some quirk of Latin where you could convert his initials to letters and add them up or something.  This was a while ago, but this teacher speaks Latin so I'm sure it made sense to him.  Anyway, the Christian stories that started the whole number of the beast thing were apparently literally referring to Nero, because Christians hated him that much.
Neato.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZqFtYtqaI

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #114796 on: October 21, 2013, 10:50:05 pm »

if I were to get any reasonable amount of RAM I would end up with a prime number of RAM

yeah!

(4 GB of RAM would bring the total up to 7 GB, 8 GB to 11 GB)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114797 on: October 21, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »

if I were to get any reasonable amount of RAM I would end up with a prime number of RAM

yeah!

(4 GB of RAM would bring the total up to 7 GB, 8 GB to 11 GB)
This sounds suspiciously like a word problem...

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114798 on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »

In some buildings, they miss out floor 13 because it's 'unlucky'. In asian countries they do that with floor 4, because the word sounds like "death".

Number superstition factoid of the day.
Eh? Really? It's usually the 13th floor that's cut out and not floor 4 here :P

...Four = Death. Erm, I believe that is derived from a single distinct language given that notion.

Pretty sure it's only Japanese. "Four" in Japanese can either be "Yon" or "Shi". "Shi" is also the word for "Death".
Actually, it's just about all East Asian languages. Definitely major dialects of Chinese, as well as Sino-Korean and Sino-Vietnamese. In Cantonese, 14 and 24 are also unlucky, because they sound like "certain to die" and "easy to die".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114799 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:21 pm »

4 is just an asshole of a number isn't it?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #114800 on: October 21, 2013, 11:19:27 pm »

I need to watch Ghost in the Shell.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #114801 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:16 pm »

In some buildings, they miss out floor 13 because it's 'unlucky'. In asian countries they do that with floor 4, because the word sounds like "death".

...Four = Death. Erm, I believe that is derived from a single distinct language given that notion.

Pretty sure it's only Japanese. "Four" in Japanese can either be "Yon" or "Shi". "Shi" is also the word for "Death".
Actually, it's just about all East Asian languages. Definitely major dialects of Chinese, as well as Sino-Korean and Sino-Vietnamese. In Cantonese, 14 and 24 are also unlucky, because they sound like "certain to die" and "easy to die".
...All languages except for Tagalog :S
That makes me happy that all our numerical superstitions are based on english instead! Take that, triskaidekaphobia!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114802 on: October 22, 2013, 12:56:51 am »

...All languages except for Tagalog :S
That makes me happy that all our numerical superstitions are based on english instead! Take that, triskaidekaphobia!
Yeah, my Chinese teacher told me that where she lived in China they would skip the 4th floor, because of that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #114803 on: October 22, 2013, 01:11:43 am »

My roommate has paid rent, and he did so in cash. It's a trying temptation to not spend the hundo I've got burning a hole in my wallet that I didn't deposit, but I have things to do with it. Nefarious things, even.

Also, re: the book, I think they're starting out with logic because I assume that's how Real Mathematicians talk about things, and I'm therefore going to need this to understand what I'm reading soon. Is this about right, Vector? I am definitely keeping going with this, it's stuff I should have learned before and I am very much on a kick of trying to catch up on the stuff Past Me really ought to have done in order to make Present Me as awesome as he always assumed I'd be. And it's disturbingly fun. Goddamn whoever convinced me that math things were boring and only valuable for practicality*.

Also, I have just realized that Lust's last words in FMA: Brotherhood are "It's coming." Because of course they were. juvenile humor wheeeeeeee >_____________>

*It was Past Me again. That bastard never fails to fuck me over.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114804 on: October 22, 2013, 01:15:57 am »

My roommate has paid rent, and he did so in cash. It's a trying temptation to not spend the hundo I've got burning a hole in my wallet that I didn't deposit, but I have things to do with it. Nefarious things, even.

Also, re: the book, I think they're starting out with logic because I assume that's how Real Mathematicians talk about things, and I'm therefore going to need this to understand what I'm reading soon. Is this about right, Vector? I am definitely keeping going with this, it's stuff I should have learned before and I am very much on a kick of trying to catch up on the stuff Past Me really ought to have done in order to make Present Me as awesome as he always assumed I'd be. And it's disturbingly fun. Goddamn whoever convinced me that math things were boring and only valuable for practicality*.

Also, I have just realized that Lust's last words in FMA: Brotherhood are "It's coming." Because of course they were. juvenile humor wheeeeeeee >_____________>

Past selves really do seem to love screwing future selves over don't they?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #114805 on: October 22, 2013, 01:16:17 am »

Math is always more fun when it's of your own accord. For example, in school I wasn't a fan of statistics (but very much of its counterpart probability). Didn't hate it, but just not fun. And today I found myself playing with standard deviations and confidence intervals when figuring out if some coding I was doing had a clear speed improvement. And that was fun.

So, you definitely have to want to do math to enjoy it. That's true of everything, but the unfortunate way math is taught sometimes makes remembering this point more important.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114806 on: October 22, 2013, 01:16:24 am »

It was Past Me again. That bastard never fails to fuck me over.
Sigged.

EDIT: Ninja's twice.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114807 on: October 22, 2013, 02:11:28 am »

Another interview. This time, with the store manager, albeit for a different position than the one I initially applied for.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #114808 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:15 am »

Dear East Asian People,

You made up your own languages (or borrowed a bunch from others). Why do you do something like this? You could have, you know, not associated your names for numbers with terrible things.

I can't imagine what it'd be like for our number system.

One, two, three, death, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, cancer, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two, twenty-three, suffocation, twenty-five...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #114809 on: October 22, 2013, 02:42:19 am »

won, too, three, for, five, sex, seven, ate, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, forteen, fifteen, sexteen, seventeen, ateteen, nineteen?
Pages: 1 ... 7652 7653 [7654] 7655 7656 ... 13312