Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7901 7902 [7903] 7904 7905 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14524518 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Get back to starbound guize. Cirno kickstarting burritos. (Happy thread)
« Reply #118530 on: December 26, 2013, 01:04:04 am »

Option C: don't stop building Jaegers for a god damn wall seriously if one of the things can take on 2 cat 4s why not have MORE THAN 4 OF THEM HOW DID YOU THINK OF THE WALL PLAN IT'S DUMB
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Get back to starbound guize. Cirno kickstarting burritos. (Happy thread)
« Reply #118531 on: December 26, 2013, 01:05:17 am »

Power's finally back on, and I got a brand spankin' new guitar along with some really good games and movies for Christmas. And also computer speakers that actually make sound, and stuff.

But for a while I was really mad, because there was a 3-4 hour time period where I had these gifts and couldn't try them because there still was no power.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118532 on: December 26, 2013, 01:05:30 am »

Also, I remembered You At Final Boss the other day. I was there for one of the very first posts, up until the minimalist RTD about killing a lich became a massively, insanely complicated over bloated monstrosity with a gorram OOC thread. An OOC thread. FOR A MINIMALIST RTD.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118533 on: December 26, 2013, 01:06:46 am »

Also, I remembered You At Final Boss the other day. I was there for one of the very first posts, up until the minimalist RTD about killing a lich became a massively, insanely complicated over bloated monstrosity with a gorram OOC thread. An OOC thread. FOR A MINIMALIST RTD.
I'm gonna read that again because it was glorious. I'm pretty sure I was trolling everyone that entire time.
Sig! Onol

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118534 on: December 26, 2013, 01:17:37 am »

I recall one of my posts being:

[Obligatory posturing]
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118535 on: December 26, 2013, 01:20:20 am »

Also you sword duelled the Lich and were badass.
Unfortunately that Merlin and the Eldritch Horror buddy cop movie never did go through.
Sig! Onol

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118536 on: December 26, 2013, 01:24:00 am »

Movies watched by Bay12 for the holidays:

47 Ronin
Pacific Rim

I watched "Clue" and "Lilo and Stitch"

Also I got 2 Monopoly board games, 3 of you count the card game version that one of them came with.
I love monopoly, now I just need friends to play it with.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #118537 on: December 26, 2013, 01:30:06 am »

Hulu just has the best ads. This is the second one I've seen this month that highlights how shitty the product is (by comparing a fancy treadmill to a variety of fun, outdoor exercise activities).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #118538 on: December 26, 2013, 01:32:10 am »

Saw 47 Ronin with everyone.  It was good.
Wait, wait, wait. Are you seriously telling me that 47 Ronin isn't Holywood Executive Remix Action Bullshit?
I'm still wondering why the hell Keanu Reeves is in a samurai movie. I may have to eat a hat if he actually fits into the storyline somehow.

I know very little about the original story, so I can't really critique its faithfulness to the characters and plot. 

Keanu Reeve's character was half-japanese.  They referred to him as "the half-breed" throughout the movie, and was treated like dirt by all the samurai.  I kind of understand why he's in there, because the presentation of the story felt Japanese to the point of potentially alienating a lot of American audience.  The pacing would linger on scene-setting and moments of reflection, but then action and dialogue was very simple, quick, and precise.  It had that poetic minimalism.  It didn't hold the audience's hand by fleshing out and explaining everything as much as a Hollywood-style presentation normally would.  Many things were left to the audience to figure out through context.  All very traditional Japanese-style of storytelling, I believe.  It also didn't pull any punches on the nature of Japanese honor and politics.  There was a lot of stuff that went on that someone with little to no knowledge of Japanese culture and feudal politics would understand.

So while Keanu Reeve's character felt somewhat Hollywood, I think it's forgive-able.  He acted as a good anchor for western audiences.  Without him, I think many would have been alienated.  And he did that without really spoiling it.  He was written as a guy who was fully inducted into Japanese culture, but could also operate outside of it with a streak of individualism, to make him just a tad more western-sympathetic.  And it was never like "Alright this Japanese shit is stupid.  I'm going to break the rules and get shit done."  That would have been fully Hollywood and stupid.  It was more like, "We've found ourselves in a grey-area situation where our responsibilities and codes are contradictory, and I'm a little bit better at dealing with that then these samurai."

The other thing that felt Hollywood was Keanu Reeve's love-interest, but they didn't go overboard with it.

Other than that.... no complaints.  They weren't even too crazy with the special effects.  They were beautiful, but sensible and non-indulgent.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:42:15 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118539 on: December 26, 2013, 01:37:37 am »

Also you sword duelled the Lich and were badass.
Unfortunately that Merlin and the Eldritch Horror buddy cop movie never did go through.

I also fired a STG-44 at him. Then yes, dueled him. With a sword. While everyone else was getting obliterated and reconstituting instantly somehow. And later turned into baby Merlin. Then young Merlin. And finally I became MERLIN MERLIN and... Epic failed my roll. So I became Jerry Tzeentch because everyone was some sort of all powerful god or something, so fuck it. Why not?
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118540 on: December 26, 2013, 01:41:49 am »

And then I turned into a macho wrestler and simultaneously WWE-style fought God and the random dude who was capable of killing anyone.
Ah, nostalgia.
Sig! Onol

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118541 on: December 26, 2013, 01:59:57 am »

Speaking of movies, I saw Toy Story 3 today. It was surprisingly dark. I didn't think they made that kind of kid's movies any longer.

Option C: don't stop building Jaegers for a god damn wall seriously if one of the things can take on 2 cat 4s why not have MORE THAN 4 OF THEM HOW DID YOU THINK OF THE WALL PLAN IT'S DUMB

Option D: Don't name your supermecharobotthingies the same the most stupidely dudebro booze brand ever and cause your audience to facepalm every time they see it.
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118542 on: December 26, 2013, 02:07:47 am »

Jaeger is German for hunter. It's really a very badass name, because Jaeger sounds awesome anyways. The booze brand is a foot note on the Jaeger name.
He's fucking with us.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #118543 on: December 26, 2013, 02:13:14 am »

Jaeger is German for hunter. It's really a very badass name, because Jaeger sounds awesome anyways. The booze brand is a foot note on the Jaeger name.
This guy gets it. So do these guys.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118544 on: December 26, 2013, 02:15:42 am »

I know, Hans. Jägare is also hunter in Swedish. That changes nothing! :P
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7901 7902 [7903] 7904 7905 ... 13311