Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7957 7958 [7959] 7960 7961 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14544826 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ] WHY ARE WE YELLING? (Happy thread...?)
« Reply #119370 on: January 11, 2014, 02:53:09 am »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119371 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #119372 on: January 11, 2014, 03:10:57 am »

Hahaha, this reddit thread has brought back memories: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1uwps9/so_ive_decided_to_go_back_and_beat_as_many/
Jumpstart games. Jumpstart 3rd Grade was awesome; while the old 4th grade version (haunted island) was so creepy that kids were terrified of playing it, and it was eventually pulled and replaced with an entirely different game that wasn't absolutely terrifying to children. Every child who played it was absolutely terrified by it. Even my completionist tendencies as a kid couldn't get me to finish it. :P

Aw man, those were the days.

A good intro to those unfamiliar with it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:31:26 am by alway »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119373 on: January 11, 2014, 04:25:33 am »

Holy crap, Jumpstart 4th grade. Awesome, yet totally spooky. I still remember some parts of it.

Glad to see that other folks remember it the same way I do. :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #119374 on: January 11, 2014, 04:36:14 am »

Ooooooh is that the game series where, in one of the games, you have some sort of coin quest?

... Yeah, that's probably too vague. Still, it seems strangely familiar.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119375 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:07 am »

I did nine hours of community service this morning, then worked 4 hours. Tomorrow, I have to do it AGAIN, except I work five hours this time. And then I work 8 to 5 on Sunday, and then I have to do it AGAIN, getting another seven hours of Community Service on Monday morning, and then do DIRECTLY to court...

And. Motherfucking. Graduate.

I am already a zombie, by Monday morning, I am literally going to be Undead. Must. Continue.
Hans, man, that's not the taste of flesh you're craving. It's the taste of freedom. So. Close. You can do it, man!

Also, I just submitted a question to xkcd's What If? I know it won't get answered, but hey, I asked anyway. Why the hell not? ^_^
I've always wanted to do that. So many questions...
Out of curiosity, what was the question?
Dear Randall,

Since we're on the topic of the T-Rex devouring people, I'd like to propose a "What If?" revenge question. What would it take for a human to punch out a full grown T-Rex?

[Signed with a semi-fake name].

In my role as "Mad Physicist" might I be allowed to have a go an answering?

Right... so, to knock out a T-Rex with a punch, you are going to be applying forces in a linear and rotational fashion to its head -  large forces. Large enough to create an acceleration to casue the brain of the T-Rex to impact its skull. According to LiveScience, Pro Boxers can exert around 5000 N of force when they punch, which is more than enough to knock out a human, or even kill them - medically, there is not that much difference. The thing is, harly any of that 5000 N is going to make it into the brain - elasticity in muscles in the hand and head, the skull defelcting force away from the brain and energy being dissipated all over the place see to that. Incidentally, ths same site also states that human bone is ridicoulosly strong - a 2.5 cm cube of bone could take around 9000 kg of mass on it before breaking. Thats 4 times more mass than an equivalent cube of concrete.

Anyway, back to the force. Again, according to LiveScience a typical punch to the head that accelerates a human head from 0 to just over 40000 rpm in 1 sec will have a 25% chance of knocking someone out. For the dimensions of a typical human head, we can arrive at an estimate for this acceleration to be just over 300 m/s^2. Of course, the fist wont be exerting its force for 1 whole second - that is silly, and if it were, it would result in the brain being acelerated to mach 1 inside the skull. Applying basic mechanics, we can show that to cause an acceleration of this magnitude on an object with the mass of a human brain would require a force of just under 500 N - a tenth of the force a pro boxer can produce - but then as we already know not all of the force they produce will be transferred into the brain, thanks to gloves, the skull etc. This is probably a good thing, or otherwise pretty much all fights would end up with someones brains punched out all over the wall ater a few blows, just like in DF.

So, on to the T-rex. Wikipedia informs us that the T-rex had a remarkable brain for a big dumb dinosaur. Small for its body mass when compared to mammals, but impressive for a dino. T-Rex brains were long and cylindrical in shape, probably more like the brain of a Croc, Gator, or Kimodo dragon - smooth, without the neocortex that makes us so delightfully human, or much in the way of a limbic brain like other mammals. As a result, I would expect it to be denser and slightly heavier. Work done by Harry J Jerison for Encyclopedia of Neuroscience based on moulds of dino brains suggests that dino brain size scaled with body mass in exactly the same way that it does for modern lizards/reptiles (incidentally, that paper is fascinating). As a result, for a typical 7 ton T-rex, its brain should have been around 200 g in mass - 7 times less massive than a human brain, with a volume similar to that of a Gorilla's brain, but more dense as it lacks the bumpy foldy mammal bit.

So, applying the same mechanics to this as a boxers brain, to create enough acceleration in a dino brain to give a 25% chance of knocking one to the canvas would take only around 70 N of force to reach its brain. The bad news? Well, one ITS A FUCKING T-REX, so it is probably eating you, and secondly, its skull was remarkably thick and strong. This in part evolved as a means of coping with a hugh biting force, and might be linked to how narrow its skull was - the narrowness allowed T-Rex to have remarkable binocular vision based on the lobes of its brain responsible for vision. A human skull is .65 cm thick, comapred to the between 3 and 6 cm of a T-rex. So our pro boxer, producing 5000 N of force probably wont even register on the T-Rex - its simply not enough to get through the meat and bone around its liltte brain. A conservative estimation of how much force you would need to get through the mass of bone and muscle to jolt the T-Rex brain with 70 N of accelerative force is probably around 50000 to 70000 N, which is the sort of thrust produced by a smallish jet or rocket motor, or getting hit by a swinging wrecking ball. Such a force is probably also capable of damaging or destroying the bone and muscle structure of the dino head. I strongly suspect that the difficulty in punching each other out is what caused the arms of a T-Rex to atrophy away.

Jet powered dino boxing, anyone?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:12:29 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119376 on: January 11, 2014, 07:55:34 am »

I strongly suspect that the difficulty in punching each other out is what caused the arms of a T-Rex to atrophy away.

Science!
Love, scriver~

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119377 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:18 am »

I love the internet sometimes.
Particularly B12.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119378 on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:35 am »

That was amazing, Monkeyhead.

Welp, I need to get back to training.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #119379 on: January 11, 2014, 11:51:01 am »

Jet powered dino boxing, anyone?

Does anyone want to sig this last part? Otherwise, I'm taking it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119380 on: January 11, 2014, 12:50:29 pm »

So there was a report on TV about these ninjas in one of the cities who go out at night and sneakily leave food and other stuff to families in need. When they were interviewed (wearing full ninja gear) they said that they do it like that because they want to help the people without anyone praising them or saying that they do it just for praise, really awesome :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #119381 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:07 pm »

I think they also do it to run around the city in full ninja gear at night.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #119382 on: January 11, 2014, 02:11:47 pm »

I have discovered that I totally can use a reusable Keurig filter as a reusable tea bag. No longer am I bound by the tyranny of pre-bagged teas! I can steep whatever the hell I want!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119383 on: January 11, 2014, 02:20:54 pm »

I have discovered that I totally can use a reusable Keurig filter as a reusable tea bag. No longer am I bound by the tyranny of pre-bagged teas! I can steep whatever the hell I want!

do you know the word strainer. also known as sieve. you can actually have these at the bottom of your tea kettle. there are kettles with straight up built in sieves.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #119384 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:25 pm »

That would require me to own a tea kettle, and to make tea in batches larger than a single mug at a time, and overall to exert far too much effort for this whole thing. Now I just pile stuff into this thing and drop it into a mug of microwaved water and let it sit for however long.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 7957 7958 [7959] 7960 7961 ... 13312