Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7995 7996 [7997] 7998 7999 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14376139 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ] WHY ARE WE YELLING? (Happy thread...?)
« Reply #119940 on: January 21, 2014, 03:57:51 am »

With my limited knowledge of English I believe that is traditionally the case, although it seems the apostrophe of possession is less and less seen there days. It just isn't on peoples mind.

:P

EDIT: Wait, is it "James' Book" or "Jame's book"... 99.99% sure it is the first.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119941 on: January 21, 2014, 04:03:42 am »

The "'" Is by far one of the most useful punctuations available, so understanding it is important. The apostrophe is used in two ways: To indicate possession, and to indicate a contraction, with rare exception I will note. Firstly, possession: it is used in words such as "misko's" and "cat's", to indicate that the object belongs to the word used i.e. "that is Caz's book", means that is the book belonging to Caz. Secondly, the apostrophe is used to indicate a contraction, where words are combined to shorten. "Let us", for example, would be contracted as "let's", with the apostrophe being used. Other examples: "He will"="He'll", "should not"="Shouldn't" and "I would"="I'd". "Its", which can be either a contraction of "It is" or a possessive of "it", has an apostrophe only when it is a contraction; reason being "its" is a pronoun - similar to "hers" and "theirs" - and pronouns do not require an apostrophe, as they are possessive by nature.

I thought this, but then people say "possessive apostrophes are wrong! die sinner!" and I get confused all over again ._.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #119942 on: January 21, 2014, 04:03:55 am »

I remember an Internet Oracle response that s'tated that if you s'hould put an apostrophe before an s at the end of a word, you s'hould  put one at after the beginning s a's well.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119943 on: January 21, 2014, 04:04:46 am »

EDIT: Wait, is it "James' Book" or "Jame's book"... 99.99% sure it is the first.

James's's'sses's

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119944 on: January 21, 2014, 04:07:31 am »

I remember an Internet Oracle response that s'tated that if you s'hould put an apostrophe before an s at the end of a word, you s'hould  put one at after the beginning s a's well.
I swear by the old gods and the new that is literally the most annoying, rage inducing typing quirk I have ever seen, and I've read Homestuck... Never EVER do that again!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #119945 on: January 21, 2014, 04:11:37 am »

Need links for that thanks. :P

...Was that in the context of 'personal accents done textualized?'

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119946 on: January 21, 2014, 04:26:01 am »

James's's'sses's
James's. Say it out aloud.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119947 on: January 21, 2014, 04:30:12 am »

If, when using a possessive tense, the trailing s is dropped. If James owns a book, it is James' book.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119948 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:42 am »

I will say that I would still speak it like it's "James's", just in writing it's "James' "

And now James doesn't look like a word. Dammit.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #119949 on: January 21, 2014, 04:44:34 am »

If, when using a possessive tense, the trailing s is dropped. If James owns a book, it is James' book.
The grammar here is off; That first sentence doesn't make sense. You say, "If, when using a possessive tense, the trailing s is dropped", and then you stop there, leaving a dependent clause high and dry. You aren't saying what happens when you are using a possessive tense and the s is dropped. Such suspense.

Perhaps you intended to remove the "If, "? You could also imagine the If was intended to accompany something like "that is the case".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:47:25 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119950 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:22 am »

Now that I'm aware of what misko said, MZ's bad grammar is nigh unparsable. Previously I read it as intended just fine.

Guess my brain has the innate ability to filter out bad grammar these days.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119951 on: January 21, 2014, 07:28:57 am »

My understanding is that both "James' book" and "James's book" are both perfectly fine to use. It's a matter of your personal views on the matter, y'know?
'cuz the English language ain't the kind of language that don't need no consistency. :I

On to a happy: Been going on a bit of comic-binge, and IDW's DnD comic is one of the one's I'm checking out.
I mean, how can I resist a comic that starts off like this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119952 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:41 am »

Your sig seemed strangely relevant. :P Almost like the next piece of dialogue or something.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #119953 on: January 21, 2014, 10:19:13 am »

James's's'sses's
James's. Say it out aloud.

Yeah, I've been told you drop the s only in plural, so it's James's books, but books' owner.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119954 on: January 21, 2014, 12:08:42 pm »

Also as far as I know, whether it's James' or James's, you still pronounce it like "Jameses".
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 7995 7996 [7997] 7998 7999 ... 13310