Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8016 8017 [8018] 8019 8020 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14562296 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ] WHY ARE WE YELLING? (Happy thread...?)
« Reply #120255 on: January 25, 2014, 03:09:12 pm »

One trick Bauglir is still one trick Bauglir, because my attempt to make a cloth-looking version of my new avatar did not go as well as I'd hoped. I regret nothing, not even fanart. Although, it would've been nice if the forum would've let me put "Probably because I'm a dangerous sociopath with a long history of violence" as my personal text, but I suppose that is a bit long. Pity, it's such a good description of certain characters >______>

Are you a llama, by any chance? Possibly in a hat?
No but it would not surprise me even slightly if the protagonist of AoT turned out to be one in disguise.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #120256 on: January 25, 2014, 03:54:21 pm »

I like Scott Manley's Let's Plays. Good voice, great stories related to the topic at hand.

Game Grumps is difficult to watch if you know how to play the game they're playing. They took 5 hours to beat Super Metroid.....
I hate watching those guys. Its just awful.
Sometimes it's okay because they're playing retro games I've never played, and at least Arin knew most of what he was doing in Super Metroid, but sometimes what they need to do is so gorram obvious and it kills me that they have no idea what to do. The Wind Waker playthrough was a fine example of this, and even then they had a guide open pretty much the whole time.
I was also watching Jesse Cox play MGR and maybe it's just because I watched another LP before I played it myself, but I cringe every time he doesn't know about a game mechanic. I'm pretty sure he's halfway through chapter 3 and still has no idea how to equip the polearm. Then again, I didn't know how to activate Ripper Mode until my second playthrough.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #120257 on: January 25, 2014, 04:06:36 pm »

I like Scott Manley's Let's Plays. Good voice, great stories related to the topic at hand.

Game Grumps is difficult to watch if you know how to play the game they're playing. They took 5 hours to beat Super Metroid.....
at least Arin knew most of what he was doing in Super Metroid

Nah. Half the time he was doing these ridiculous skillshot moves when he could have just, like, bomb jumped once or something. The other half it just seemed like he had no idea (Phantoon :I)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #120258 on: January 25, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »

Sometimes it's okay because they're playing retro games I've never played, and at least Arin knew most of what he was doing in Super Metroid, but sometimes what they need to do is so gorram obvious and it kills me that they have no idea what to do. The Wind Waker playthrough was a fine example of this, and even then they had a guide open pretty much the whole time.
I was also watching Jesse Cox play MGR and maybe it's just because I watched another LP before I played it myself, but I cringe every time he doesn't know about a game mechanic. I'm pretty sure he's halfway through chapter 3 and still has no idea how to equip the polearm. Then again, I didn't know how to activate Ripper Mode until my second playthrough.
I don't mind watching people play video games that are terrible at them. They don't have to be fantastic or anything. I'll watch someone get stuck or use a guide or have a chat help them or savestate or whatever.

But if they're also decidedly unfunny at the same time?

Nope. :I

Two Best Friends are an example of LPers who even if they get stuck or miss something valuable or important or whatever it doesn't matter to me because it will always be hilarious anyways. Every single time. Its why they're so fantastic.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #120259 on: January 25, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »

Most important part of doing LPs is to create a great radio-voice. People like Scott Manley and Total Biscuit nail it; an overdone accent and a tone which conveys a character even without any explicit message within the words themselves. If you can talk about the lint in your bellybutton for an hour and keep me listening with the sheer power of your voice, you've got the makings of a good LPer.

Second to that is being knowledgeable. So long as you aren't being completely ignorant of obvious game mechanics, you can generally get away with it. But then things like Scott Manley's little tales about related details allow for effective filling of downtime or dead air.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120260 on: January 25, 2014, 04:36:39 pm »

Second to that is being knowledgeable. So long as you aren't being completely ignorant of obvious game mechanics, you can generally get away with it. But then things like Scott Manley's little tales about related details allow for effective filling of downtime or dead air.

This guy is very good at that. I haven't watched for a while, but I remember loving some of his earlier playthroughs. It appeared that he actually researched some games and explained things that relate to real-world history.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120261 on: January 25, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »

Lesse here, I watch Two Best Friends (GUNIN is 100% correct as to why), kurtjmac for his KSP and other assorted space stuff, TotalBiscuit, NerdCubed because he's basically TotalBiscuit lite (more emphasis on jokes and being silly than being knowledgeable), and Jesse Cox. I used to watch a dude called kilplixism before all his friends left and he basically became PewDiePie :l
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #120262 on: January 25, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »

Some of my favorite subscriptions for people looking for faithful Let's Players who are always putting out good content and definitely deserve the attention.
These are their verbatim Youtube names by the way for more effective googling:

Cryaotic aka Cry (usually hilarious but it can be stilted sometimes; his saturday streams are my favorite because all of his friends are just as funny as he is and his laugh is glorious; fails at games on occasion but its never boring when he does; has a sort of preference for horror games but the large variety of games he plays is hugely appealing)

TheRPGMinx aka MangaMinx (I watch for her multiplayer stuff because she always hilariously betrays her friends in things like TTT; her horror playthroughs have value too; she can be emotional and sometimes shares her personal life which I don't always like; her voice can be grating at times; it sounds like a lot of negatives but the positives more than make up for everything)

TheDreadRed aka Red (super new but very promising; lately extremely funny but hasn't always been; sometimes goes days or longer without uploading; love the voice too)

Aavak (a Bay12er actually, I believe with an account by the same name; has fantastic, intelligent commentary and plays challenging games exceptionally well including DF)

Helloween (insanely funny; plays japanese games ive never heard of (like Neir) that are really cool and likes to buy special editions and show off the cool goodies that come with those; fantastic voice)

TheSwitcher aka Two Best Friends (best. ever.)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120263 on: January 25, 2014, 05:08:59 pm »

Oh, forgot about DeliciousCinnamon. First watched their Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal let's play, have subbed ever since.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120264 on: January 25, 2014, 05:35:29 pm »

Just watched American Beauty. Quite an awesome movie, definitely reccomended.

Also striked up a conversation about it on FB with a friend I haven't really talked to in almost a year, feels kinda good :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #120265 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:48 pm »

I like the part when Kevin Spacey takes his shirt off.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #120266 on: January 25, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »

My favorites to watch on Youtube are pretty much Gamegrumps, since well come on they're the grumps. Grimithr since he does just make most things he plays or does entertaining somehow, though he's started to lose me a bit. Makes me wonder if my tastes are changing. I also like Deceased crab whenever he actually uploads something. SKS can also be kinda entertaining but I find I need to be in the right mood to watch him.

Raocow might be my favorite though. My daughters favorite too, we make a thing to binge on whatever he's doing every sunday night.

I USED to like jefmajor, but he's seriously stopped entertaining me at all. No idea why that happened. I also wanted to like the two best friends but they just scream trying to hard at me whenever I did, feels unnatural

Personally though, I watch for what's being played a lot less than I do for the LPer, if I need to watch them play something I like then I might be watching the wrong guy.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #120267 on: January 25, 2014, 06:24:30 pm »

Aavak (a Bay12er actually, I believe with an account by the same name; has fantastic, intelligent commentary and plays challenging games exceptionally well including DF)
Wow, a forumite with a proper microphone o.o

You got him a new subscriber though :v

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #120268 on: January 25, 2014, 06:26:23 pm »

Wow, a forumite with a proper microphone o.o

You got him a new subscriber though :v
Yay! He totally deserves it. Way underrated for the quality of his videos. He also plays XCOM well, about as well as I do, but not as well as people like Beaglerush.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120269 on: January 25, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »

I don't really watch many LPs. :-\
Usually when I do it's a game which I can't play, and I go all "Charlie pressing his nose against the window of the lolly shop" etc.

I did enjoy watching Co-Optitude on Geek & Sundry, and I watched some guy playing that DayZ-like where everyone runs around in the nude... but that's about it, unless you count some GTA 5 videos.
I'll have to become an LPer so you all can marvel at my uber-sexy voice and complete ineptitude. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8016 8017 [8018] 8019 8020 ... 13312