Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8244 8245 [8246] 8247 8248 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14560173 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: [!!PIZZA!!] CAN YOU GUESS WHAT, ITS A MYSTERY (happy thread?!)
« Reply #123675 on: March 11, 2014, 08:44:03 am »

We could always pay a couple of third-world people to massacre each other in historically accurate ways, but publishing these findings without being dragged to Den Haag afterwards could be difficult.
I'd sorely advise you as to the nature of your jokes.
Yeah man, you don't use enough black humour. Keep working at it, you'll raise your comedy skills to a decent level soon enough. :)
I'm happy laughing too much at puns to get black humor.
*is enthralled by Game of Thrones*

Also to give context to my reaction... *points at the Philippines' economic state; points at government and how this is being addressed*
You can guess we're third-world here, so the implications are a lot deeper.
Recent census? 70% = poor, and even that category has poor, and very poor.
20% = middle class; the working class.
10% = Those rich people. And by that, we currently mean a LOT of our politicians due to most recent events. We're a people who have their culture, beliefs, traditions and actions deeply rooted to the concept of honor and human values. Seeing those people who's job is to govern correctly be the plague upon those roots? The very reason we have such a level of poverty? (No, the argument that people don't know what to do with their money applies only to a minor portion of that huge chunk.) We've placed them there, due to this being a Republic, because we believed in them (or vote manipulation/vote buying...but that's the dark side of it). Most of those of voting age do not vote because of the prevalence of such distaste in choosing leaders.
I'll leave the hypothetical to rot.

Suffice it to say, I did not find that class of humor funny. Or to be more specific, that certain wording in that specific instance in that broad category of humor, remotely funny.

We could always pay a couple of third-world people to
advise you as to the nature of your jokes.
Improvements should start to show~
Ohyou.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:54:42 am by Tiruin »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123676 on: March 11, 2014, 09:15:54 am »

Yes'm?

But in all those guesses-the notion of practicality still holds. Let's simulate a real, live battle and check which is more effic-

Ah great, technology hasn't gotten that far yet, has it?

Though this one thing I'm happy about, part-time history student! <3
I still wonder if that depends on the type of formation used.
Well if we could stick to the fundamental idea that overhand means more power and underhand means more control, then actually we could.
Although you'd have to remove all other variables from that. Such as how bracing for defense would require underhand, whilst attacking over the shields of enemy phalanxes would require overhand, whilst underhand has more length, and so the lines of eager and unfit historians reform, anxious to do nervous, sweaty battle, and inflict much friendly-fire with their butt-spikes.

I once saw historians try to demonstrate the attacking motion of a zweihander.... It kind of ruined me on historians.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #123677 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:07 am »

You have just piqued my interest.
Links please? :D

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #123678 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:06 am »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #123679 on: March 11, 2014, 09:51:42 am »

If the historians want to know so badly, they should just phone up the SCA, provide a large number of sarissas (with foam heads, of course) and shields, and ask them to set up a large-scale battle. Everyone wins, and the historians don't have to do the fighting!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123680 on: March 11, 2014, 09:51:51 am »

Oh my gawd.
I honestly don't know what i was expecting when i clicked that. But either way I'm satisfied with what i got.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123681 on: March 11, 2014, 09:56:54 am »

Well if we could stick to the fundamental idea that overhand means more power and underhand means more control, then actually we could.
... does it, though? I'd expect something underhand, or more around the body's center of mass, to have the most power. A lot more striking power comes from body weight and whatnot than arm strength, last I checked, and I'd think an overhand grip would have a much harder time harnessing that that other options.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #123682 on: March 11, 2014, 10:01:43 am »

... does it, though? I'd expect something underhand, or more around the body's center of mass, to have the most power. A lot more striking power comes from body weight and whatnot than arm strength, last I checked, and I'd think an overhand grip would have a much harder time harnessing that that other options.
But an overhand strike picks up a bit from gravity, and hoplites were only using one hand (on a looong spear), which makes underarm strikes awkward to make. I think.

E: But underhand would be better if you were using both hands, like with a pike.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123683 on: March 11, 2014, 10:36:43 am »

If you want the non-professional, yet awesome depiction of hoplites, you can always ask Deadliest Warrior. :)

(I can't confirm the link directly right now, since I'm at work, but you want episode 3 off that list.)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123684 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:39 am »

Can't wait to be out of work, for I have a copy of Dark Souls 2 waiting for me at the store, calling to me.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123685 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:33 am »

Whenever I see the word "hoplite" I automatically picture these guys from Demon's Souls.

"How do they hold their spears" is a valid question since they have no arms.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123686 on: March 11, 2014, 11:05:53 am »

Whenever I see the word "hoplite" I automatically picture these guys from Demon's Souls.

"How do they hold their spears" is a valid question since they have no arms.

I guess the spears just stick to them. They're basically lumps of goo.

You can find them in Dark Souls as well, in the Painted World.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123687 on: March 11, 2014, 11:36:50 am »

Went to the DMV and barely passed the test to get my Permit.
The DMV is not quite as bad as it was made out to be.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123688 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:36 am »

Behold the Metamorphic Eldritch Entity (Xanty is that you? It totally is.)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #123689 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »

Somebody posts a stupid claim on /tg/ and I write a seed for something that could make a decent full-on essay in response. Rules mean you don't trust the other players, my ass. I'm gonna save this to expand on it later.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 8244 8245 [8246] 8247 8248 ... 13312