Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8799 8800 [8801] 8802 8803 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14562983 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: [\_|-|_/] Kanmusu hijack lawl (Happy thread!)
« Reply #132000 on: June 18, 2014, 07:56:01 pm »

I actually intentionally picked a "masculine" username when I joined because I wanted to be judged as a man and establish my reputation that way. Think I kept it up for a year or so. I'm very unsurprised that people think I'm a guy, and honestly I don't mind too much, because... well, I did it on purpose, so.
It also doesn't help that there's another user, who is a male (and has a sort of viking avatar as well), named Vactor.  It's hard to learn who is who when stuff like that was happening. :P

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #132001 on: June 18, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »

Eh. THE TVtrope, most (readers,viewer, whatever) are male seems to apply for whatever reason.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #132002 on: June 18, 2014, 07:58:01 pm »

<snippy snippy>
Age is just a number. What matters is what you do with it ;3
It's also a fairly reliable gauge of your general physical and mental faculties.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #132003 on: June 18, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »

I dunno...Vector doesn't sound pretty male to me. Neutral rather?

It sounds math. o-o

Angular.

Coordinating.
That, and I guess I first sorta associated it with those vectors used in navigation?
...I played tons of those types of game when I was young. I do so miss them now however.

Eh. THE TVtrope, most (readers,viewer, whatever) are male seems to apply for whatever reason.
Or we don't say we're female//the notion of the past that most users are male still applies(?)?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:04:49 pm by Tiruin »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #132004 on: June 18, 2014, 08:03:04 pm »

Vector is a very neutral word to me too, mostly since I associate the word in particular with the KRISS Vector SMG, and last I checked firearms don't have genders or sexes.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132005 on: June 18, 2014, 08:05:11 pm »

I dunno...Vector doesn't sound pretty male to me. Neutral rather?

It sounds math. o-o

Or we don't say we're female//the notion of the past that most users are male still applies(?)?
Most people think math is "masculine" subconsciously because sexism. "Vector" is grammatically masculine in pretty much every language with grammatical gender that it appears in, including the source Latin. From a sound standpoint, it has a "tough"-sounding voiced fricative and two plosives in a row, which is like a phonological face punch, and it's only two syllables, and terseness is often associated with toughness and therefore masculinity.

There. I came up with four or five reasons why "Vector" might come across as masculine in two minutes.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132006 on: June 18, 2014, 08:08:12 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:17:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132007 on: June 18, 2014, 08:10:57 pm »

Also, there's roughly around a 91% chance any given bay12er is male just from the forum demographic. At least here, the 'most users are male' applies because most of them ARE male.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #132008 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »

I have another name which I now use online which, in my opinion, actually sounds pretty masculine, despite the semantics not being all that manly and it being derived from a feminine Latin noun ending in -a. Without getting too phonologically technical, I think it sounds powerful for a few reasons - a "long" vowel (both Latin and English standards), a hard /k/, and only two syllables so it's nice and terse.

Didn't you have the other name before this one?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:18:03 pm by penguinofhonor »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #132009 on: June 18, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »

<snippy snippy>
Age is just a number. What matters is what you do with it ;3
It's also a fairly reliable gauge of your general physical and mental faculties.
Ahaha. Ahaha....

Not really. If that were true, I likely wouldn't be able to write using proper English like I do, because I'm 15, and most American 15-year olds can't. And I'll tell you what, it bothers the crap out of me that they can't.
So yeah. No assumptions about people based on age. Especially not on here, where I can see. It's bad, mkay.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132010 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:11 pm »

I have another name which I now use online which, in my opinion, actually sounds pretty masculine, despite the semantics not being all that manly and it being derived from a feminine Latin noun ending in -a. Without getting too phonologically technical, I think it sounds powerful for a few reasons - a "long" vowel (both Latin and English standards), a hard /k/, and only two syllables so it's nice and terse.

No. Well, yes. And no. I derived the other name from yet another one which I started using at roughly the same time as this one, but in connection with this one. And then there's another one which is just a cool-sounding Spanish word with an arbitrary meaning. And another one which I deliberately picked to be mysterious. I have a number of usernames for different sites.

And, for the record, both names are screen names, not real names. That should be clear from the context, but it doesn't hurt to set it straight.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132011 on: June 18, 2014, 08:18:12 pm »

Most people think math is "masculine" subconsciously because sexism. "Vector" is grammatically masculine in pretty much every language with grammatical gender that it appears in, including the source Latin. From a sound standpoint, it has a "tough"-sounding voiced fricative and two plosives in a row, which is like a phonological face punch, and it's only two syllables, and terseness is often associated with toughness and therefore masculinity.

There. I came up with four or five reasons why "Vector" might come across as masculine in two minutes.

Yep. All of that, and it's also one letter away from the masculine first name/concept "Victor."
o_O
I asked my parents about this because totally confused [the orange part]. Semantics...ideologies...association with action...They didn't get it either, and they're 60+. xD

Also, [mahth]...right? It sounds more...err, fluffy, than rough. Must be the 'ah' feeling like a carpet.
... Fun with translating images to words.

Sexism is weird.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #132012 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »

No. Well, yes. And no. I derived the other name from yet another one which I started using at roughly the same time as this one, but in connection with this one. And then there's another one which is just a cool-sounding Spanish word with an arbitrary meaning. And another one which I deliberately picked to be mysterious. I have a number of usernames for different sites.

And, for the record, both names are screen names, not real names. That should be clear from the context, but it doesn't hurt to set it straight.

Ignore me, I thought you used to be this guy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132013 on: June 18, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »

last I checked firearms don't have genders or sexes.
B-but....they all have long pointy bits... ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132014 on: June 18, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »

last I checked firearms don't have genders or sexes.
B-but....they all have long pointy bits... ???
I think you're thinking about the screws that keep them together. :P
Pages: 1 ... 8799 8800 [8801] 8802 8803 ... 13312