Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9417 9418 [9419] 9420 9421 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14385138 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: [???] What do they kno? Snoooooooooo (Happy thread)
« Reply #141270 on: September 24, 2014, 03:28:47 pm »

How good do your grades need to be to get a scholarship in Amurica? Do they need to be basically perfect, or what?
Are you a middle-class, straight white male, without a child or any serious disabilities? Are you not in the military/ROTC? Are you not good enough at sports to play for a team? Are you not deeply religious nor planning on entering the priesthood? Do your parents not work for a major company with a scholarship program?
Excuse my cynicism, but as a person that just finished senior year and received no scholarships, I'm a little disillusioned.

Straight white upper-middle-class guy with no major disabilities here. It can happen if you get ridiculous scores on your PSAT and SAT- I'm a National Merit Scholar who got a 2340 on my SAT. Unfortunately, National Merit Scholars are ranked by percentile (top 2% of scorers are semifinalists, I think?), and it's difficult to raise your natural (P)SAT scores beyond a certain point. For the English and writing sections, for example, an SAT score is more than anything a function of how many books your parents had around the house when you were growing up. Studying does help, but only to a certain extent.

Also, pick your college wisely. I got into the University of Rochester, and if I were more concerned with appearances and college name-branding that's where I would have gone; but the University of Oklahoma offered me a very large stack of tuition wavers to attend. In my opinion, top-end colleges aren't all they're cracked up to be. They're pressure cookers, they're filled with pretentious asshats and it's more likely than not your most important academic advisor will be illicit Adderall. Plus, unless you're a really stellar student you'll have a much harder time developing good professor relationships, because every other undergrad will want to latch onto the professors, too, for grad school.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:33:01 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #141271 on: September 24, 2014, 03:30:05 pm »

How good do your grades need to be to get a scholarship in Amurica? Do they need to be basically perfect, or what?
Are you a middle-class, straight white male, without a child or any serious disabilities? Are you not in the military/ROTC? Are you not good enough at sports to play for a team? Are you not deeply religious nor planning on entering the priesthood? Do your parents not work for a major company with a scholarship program?
Excuse my cynicism, but as a person that just finished senior year and received no scholarships, I'm a little disillusioned.
Awwwww fuck.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #141272 on: September 24, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »

From my personal experience, I only know one person who has a full ride in my Uni (one of the most expensive universities in USA according to businessweek) and he's an Indian dude who got accepted to Yale. All other ppl are on aid due to economic hardship and even then then still have to take out and grumble over meager student loans
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #141273 on: September 24, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »

Scholarships aren't too hard to get in NZ, usually just by doing well in a given subject. Most of them aren't very big, but you can get multiple scholarships - I think, note that I never got any - and there are larger ones available if you do extra work, so I guess it balances out.

Everyone here thinks the education system is still terrible (it was revamped several times recently) but apparently it's a darn sight better than the US.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141274 on: September 24, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »

The U.S. system is... Well.. Uh, it ain't great.  I'll put it that way.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141275 on: September 24, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »

Straight white upper-middle-class guy with no major disabilities here. It can happen if you get ridiculous scores on your PSAT and SAT- I'm a National Merit Scholar who got a 2340 on my SAT. Unfortunately, National Merit Scholars are ranked by percentile (top 2% of scorers are semifinalists, I think?), and it's difficult to raise your natural (P)SAT scores beyond a certain point. For the English and writing sections, for example, an SAT score is more than anything a function of how many books your parents had around the house when you were growing up. Studying does help, but only to a certain extent.
Nice job on the NMS! I also got into the top 50,000. Admittedly, I was in the bottom 2/3rds of that, so I only received a Commendation.

Awwwww fuck.
Tis the harsh reality of the situation. As an example, a girl a year above me at school was a lesbian Latina gay-rights activist, and received the Gate's Millennium Scholars award. I think she may have been first generation too, but I'm not sure.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #141276 on: September 24, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »

Let's just say if you're a first generation Native American Eskimo who built a windmill well in your tiny village in Guam, you'll be accepted everywhere in the US
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141277 on: September 24, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »

...People still use 'Eskimo' as a term? I thought it'd been supplanted by 'Inuit'.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141278 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »

Let's just say if you're a first generation Native American Eskimo who built a windmill well in your tiny village in Guam, you'll be accepted everywhere in the US
/\ Accurate.

If anyone cares about my college experience, I got to where I am by taking two years to build a glorified pump for my internship.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141279 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »

Nope, Eskimo is still used prominently in Texas, for sure.  I think it's something to do with the native accent mangling "Inuit."  I assume it's the same wherever Tamer's at.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #141280 on: September 24, 2014, 03:46:30 pm »

Awwwww fuck.
Tis the harsh reality of the situation. As an example, a girl a year above me at school was a lesbian Latina gay-rights activist, and received the Gate's Millennium Scholars award. I think she may have been first generation too, but I'm not sure.
So, what do you get if you're one of those shitty fetish-fuel fanfic characters, like those half-dragon half-elf sorcerer/warrior with one red eye and angel heritage sorts? An all-expenses-paid world trip and a scholarship to the most prestigious universities in the world? :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #141281 on: September 24, 2014, 03:48:12 pm »

You get digitized and sent to the hellish realm of tumblr.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #141282 on: September 24, 2014, 03:48:38 pm »

The correctness of the term pretty much entirely depends on the context. Linguists and anthropologists, for example, will use "Eskimo" as a blanket term that covers the Inuit and Yupik, but excludes the Aleut. And "Eskimo" is (for this reason, probably, because there are no Yupik in Canada) fairly unexceptional in most situations in Alaska.

Don't call a Canadian Inuk an Eskimo, though. That's an insult.

(My great-aunt and cousin are Iņupiat, and I spent a month in Nunavut in high school on an internship.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #141283 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »

Awwwww fuck.
So, what do you get if you're one of those shitty fetish-fuel fanfic characters, like those half-dragon half-elf sorcerer/warrior with one red eye and angel heritage sorts? An all-expenses-paid world trip and a scholarship to the most prestigious universities in the world? :P
Depends on if the fanfic writer cares about school or not. More likely you get a bunch of "Easy A" classes and the professors are all pedos for some reason.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141284 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:50 pm »

I think I'm misinterpreting something.
You're saying that if you are any of these-
Then you have less chances of getting a scholarship?
Correct.  Don't be white and you'll get a scholarship, essentially.
Pages: 1 ... 9417 9418 [9419] 9420 9421 ... 13310