Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9418 9419 [9420] 9421 9422 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14375128 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: [???] What do they kno? Snoooooooooo (Happy thread)
« Reply #141285 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

How good do your grades need to be to get a scholarship in Amurica? Do they need to be basically perfect, or what?
Depends on the scholarship. There's lots of little scholarships for little things, not just grades, that few people apply for. You could look for and apply to as many of those as you can find and hope you accumulate lots of money from that. You could also apply for financial aid and get grants or go with the student loan route...although that will probably lead to even more debt, because loans.

...or maybe I'm wrong and all these cynical NINJAS are right.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #141286 on: September 24, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »

Also, don't neglect scholarships from other sources! Millions of scholarship money goes unclaimed every year because nobody applies for it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #141287 on: September 24, 2014, 03:54:03 pm »

There's tons of whacky corporate ones for strengthening brand names that you can take advantage of. Most infamously, the Oscar Meyer scholarship for those named "Oscar."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141288 on: September 24, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

...People still use 'Eskimo' as a term? I thought it'd been supplanted by 'Inuit'.
They're totally different peoples m8. Eskimos are in Russia somewhere, Inuit are around the Americas.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #141289 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:07 pm »

If I remember correctly there was one for a guy at my school who bought a vending machine or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #141290 on: September 24, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

Also, don't neglect scholarships from other sources! Millions of scholarship money goes unclaimed every year because nobody applies for it.
What this guy said. Which is what I said. But Better. And with less words.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141291 on: September 24, 2014, 04:04:24 pm »

I think I'm misinterpreting something.
You're saying that if you are any of these-
Are you a middle-class, straight white male, without a child or any serious disabilities? Are you not in the military/ROTC? Are you not good enough at sports to play for a team? Are you not deeply religious nor planning on entering the priesthood? Do your parents not work for a major company with a scholarship program?
Then you have less chances of getting a scholarship?
Correct.  Don't be white and you'll get a scholarship, essentially.
That is so not true, and you're missing the point of scholarships. A straight white male with no military background or disabilities will have a much higher chance of finding a good job after college. Add in the amount of extra work any sort of unprivileged person has to go through to be treated the same, and it would honestly be unfair not to give them a little help.
I'm pretty sure Vector has talked at length about being a woman going into a profession surrounded by men, and being treated differently for it.
Your privilege is showing. Might want to fix that.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141292 on: September 24, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »

What this guy said. Which is what I said. But Better. And with less words.
ALL OF THIS!!!

I think I'm misinterpreting something.
You're saying that if you are any of these-
Are you a middle-class, straight white male, without a child or any serious disabilities? Are you not in the military/ROTC? Are you not good enough at sports to play for a team? Are you not deeply religious nor planning on entering the priesthood? Do your parents not work for a major company with a scholarship program?
Then you have less chances of getting a scholarship?
Correct.  Don't be white and you'll get a scholarship, essentially.
...This makes me feel slightly guilty.
And I, the person described above, feel guilty, because I'm privileged in every other situation. Basically what Alleecat said.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141293 on: September 24, 2014, 04:12:48 pm »

Being white isn't an automatic disqualifier for scholarships, and being non-white isn't an automatic qualifier. Yes, there are affirmative-action programs, but they are far from being the only source of scholarships.

If you're diligent, you'll probably qualify for something. You might not necessarily get it, since there's usually competition, but unless you do nothing you're supposed to, then chances are you'll qualify.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #141294 on: September 24, 2014, 04:13:54 pm »

There are so many scholarship that have ridiculous eligibility criteria such as:
-a specific physical quality (there is a scholarship for tall people and one for short people)
-a weirdly specific skill (duck calling scholarship)
-doing something that would ruin your social standing (best duct tape prom outfit scholarship)
-entering a weirdly specific field (vacuum coating scholarship or majoring in bagpipes)
-be a descendent of someone (have the last name Gatling or be a catholic whose last name is Zolp)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141295 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

I said nothing about the fairer sex in this discussion, and I'd rather not either as I'm definitely not a source for their input.  What I have personally seen down where I live (which is backwards from the rest of the country in the first place) is that if you are white at all you are not going to get help through scholarships unless you're going into agriculture (huge down here), of an ethnicity other than white or have worked your ass off to the point of being in the top 10% or less (top 10% was a $500 scholarship per year, I believe).

The most that I have seen on the female end of this spectrum is of a white female complaining that she got about 35 thousand less in scholarships than her sisters did (she was the valedictorian, and from what I gathered they were in the top ten students of their classes as well).

Also, is this like a fifty post derail of scholarships?  How'd that happen?  EDIT:  Eh, more like a 29 post derail.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141296 on: September 24, 2014, 04:17:49 pm »

I got a $200 graphic arts scholarship for doing a short animation instead of live action for a HS video project. $50 discretionary spending and $150 for graphic arts supplies. Won't be able to spend a cent of it until I can start on my minor, though.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #141297 on: September 24, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »

unprivileged person
I'm privileged
Quote from: tumblr bullshit
privilege!!11!!!11!one!
It makes me weep that this is a thing.

I'm going to speak bluntly here. Also crassly. If you're liable to be offended, don't read my next sentence(s).
Affirmative action is a load of shit. The United States of Absolutely-sodding-awful in every gorram regard are a lost cause. Come to New Zealand, guys. We don't have that crap here.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:21:20 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #141298 on: September 24, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #141299 on: September 24, 2014, 04:22:40 pm »

Yup. Tumblr is leaking.

Gotta get out of here ASAP :P
Pages: 1 ... 9418 9419 [9420] 9421 9422 ... 13310