Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10429 10430 [10431] 10432 10433 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14375582 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I'm now some 800 or so pages (at default of 15ppp, I think it is) into The Warrens of Oric the Awesome, so over the halfway point.

Spoiler: Major TWoOtA Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:21:14 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Finally got a big chunk of an engineering project to work! I have successfully stolen my own wireless! Then I went back and un-sabotaged the security. Don't use WPS, guys. It opens only slightly lesser holes than WEP.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

WPA master race?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Ah, that's the best part, WPS lets jackasses like me totally sidestep your precious WPA and WPA2. It's an alternative option that basically completely fucks your router.

EDIT: Alternative option for authentication, not encryption. Conceptually, imagine they assigned each router an 8 digit PIN that anybody could type in to get access. Now, imagine that it was really only 7 digits because the last was a checksum. Also, it's really 4 digits and 3 because the first half gets verified independently of the last.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:03:35 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Well, fuck you, then.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

See above post for clarification in edit-form. Also, the good news is you CAN turn it off in models that support it. Although, sometimes, it just tells you it's turned off. And it's lying.

EDIT: Also, if I had to describe the best part, it's that the offline version of the attack (the one that hasn't been neatly sidestepped by just having the router stop responding if you fuck up enough times) exploits some failures in pseudorandom number generation. In one manufacturer's case, it's really easy to determine the state of the PRNG, and it's completely deterministic. In another manufacturer's case, instead of a PNRG, they just used the number zero.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:06:55 pm by Bauglir »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I'm scared now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Okay, well, to make you feel actually better, most routers aren't actually vulnerable because they've implemented the "shut the fuck up" protocol if somebody tries guessing a bunch of PINs. As for the offline attack I'm so gleeful about, it's a bitch to get working and only works on routers built with chipsets from the two particular manufacturers I mentioned just now.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Oh.

Alright.

* Orange Wizard turns off the wireless on his router and lays a cable down the hall instead.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I use the ceiling! Less risk of people tripping that way.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'll be surprised if this hasn't been shared already, but I just discovered it and it made me happy.

The Dwarves of Demrel

I'm loving the atmosphere from this little teaser.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Happy cakeday
wh... what the hell were they doing to their keyboard
where did they get a sentient one
it just raises so many questions
Sentience doesn't imply consent you boor!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Happy Birthday.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 10429 10430 [10431] 10432 10433 ... 13310