Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10838 10839 [10840] 10841 10842 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14506931 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [Wob] Fate of Awoos continues. Questions asked of sheep and florida (Happy thr.)
« Reply #162585 on: September 11, 2015, 03:13:32 pm »

Can't sleep on my back for no adequately explainable reason, and the sides almost inevitably result in the upward one losing adequate circulation and going all numb and achey if I stay that way long enough, so the stomach is best for me.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [Wob] Fate of Awoos continues. Questions asked of sheep and florida (Happy thr.)
« Reply #162586 on: September 11, 2015, 03:16:22 pm »

Can't sleep on my back for no adequately explainable reason, and the sides almost inevitably result in the upward one losing adequate circulation and going all numb and achey if I stay that way long enough, so the stomach is best for me.
Sleeping on the back tends to weigh heavy on the chest, so it can be hard to do it for long amounts of time

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #162587 on: September 11, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »

I'm not sure why sleeping on one's stomach is even a thing.  For me it carries a high risk of suffocation-nightmares, so I haven't done it willingly since I was old enough to figure out "hey this results in nightmares".  Pretty much only happens when I'm black-out drunk, and I don't remember my dreams then, so it's all good... yeah...
Are you trying to sleep in the middle of your pillow? When I sleep on my stomach I personally tend to shift my head placement so that I'm almost on the very edge of the pillow so that it is under my head but not really in front of my face. I'd literally slide off of the side of the pillow before I could suffocate in it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #162588 on: September 11, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

Sleeping on the back tends to weigh heavy on the chest, so it can be hard to do it for long amounts of time

Is it due to ribs pressing organs against each other?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162589 on: September 11, 2015, 03:37:06 pm »

Are you trying to sleep in the middle of your pillow? When I sleep on my stomach I personally tend to shift my head placement so that I'm almost on the very edge of the pillow so that it is under my head but not really in front of my face. I'd literally slide off of the side of the pillow before I could suffocate in it. :P
Amusing mental image of faceplanting into a pillow then wondering why one can't breath :P
That's good advice though, I do that even when sleeping on my side.  Since the head placement's nearly the same.  I even tend to put my arm under the pillow for stability (might be something I learned while sleeping on a top bunk).

But no, I wasn't actually suffocating (it didn't wake me up, for one thing).  I was just having restricted breathing, kinda like laying on one's back except worse.  Trying to sleep with serious nasal congestion is similar.

This is why you're supposed to lay someone on their side after doing successful CPR, btw.  Breathing is significantly more difficult on one's back.

Edit: What Loud Whispers says below.  My unconscious breathing is shallow from the chest.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:53:15 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162590 on: September 11, 2015, 03:50:12 pm »

I'd assume it has something to do with people who breathe from their chest and not their abdomen not being able to expand their chest and take in enough oxygen without the brain beginning to panic and nightmare your self.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #162591 on: September 11, 2015, 03:52:50 pm »

I'd assume it has something to do with people who breathe from their chest and not their abdomen not being able to expand their chest and take in enough oxygen without the brain beginning to panic and nightmare your self.

But doesn't pressure apply when lying on your stomach as well?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162592 on: September 11, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »

Depends how you angle yourself

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #162593 on: September 11, 2015, 03:55:24 pm »

Such an angle would surely be uncomfortable, right?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #162594 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:30 pm »

Pressure applies about the same while lying on your stomach or back, I find, though AFAIK it has absolutely nothing to do with your ribs. Generally breathing problems with lying on your back tend to be much more related to the affect of gravity on the position of the valves in the throat (like snoring and sleep apnea) than they have anything to do with compression of your actual chest.

I mean when you a re actually asleep everyone breathes in pretty much the same way, regardless of how you breathe normally, and the nifty thing about humans is that we are squishy, which means that all sorts of areas (such as your back and stomach) can expand and shift to allow you room to breathe deeply.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162595 on: September 11, 2015, 04:02:45 pm »

Such an angle would surely be uncomfortable, right?
I've done it comfy as fuck

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #162596 on: September 11, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »

Pressure applies about the same while lying on your stomach or back, I find, though AFAIK it has absolutely nothing to do with your ribs. Generally breathing problems with lying on your back tend to be much more related to the affect of gravity on the position of the valves in the throat (like snoring and sleep apnea) than they have anything to do with compression of your actual chest.

I mean when you a re actually asleep everyone breathes in pretty much the same way, regardless of how you breathe normally, and the nifty thing about humans is that we are squishy, which means that all sorts of areas (such as your back and stomach) can expand and shift to allow you room to breathe deeply.

Other than how sleep apnea has little to do with the position of valves in the throat, I think I understand now.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162597 on: September 11, 2015, 05:48:09 pm »

Finally got around to cleaning about 5 years of crap from my inbox. Now I'm finally down to less than one full page of email.

Along the way I notice I had codes redeemable for a free copy of The Witcher 2 and The Gamers: Director's Cut from last November. They were expired. Damn it. Oh wait, I checked, I have Witcher 2 already - too bad the installer is 16GB, which has to be doubled since I have to put it all together. No idea what the other one was.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162598 on: September 11, 2015, 07:05:23 pm »

I ship out to BMT on Tuesday. I have been waiting for this date for quite a long time, and am just happy that the wait is over and done with. People continually ask if I'm nervous about joining the military. I lost all my nervousness long ago, and now am just annoyed with the fact that a solid 80% of my conversations end up being about the military. It's going to be a big change in lifestyle from essentially being a NEET to being a service member, but I am sure that the benefits that I will gain from this far outweigh any reservations I still have. The fact that I'm pretty patriotic probably helps that out a bit too. It'll be a good change for me, and I just want it to begin already. I just want to go away from where I am at this moment, and start with something new. Something that has more hope on the horizon than despair.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162599 on: September 11, 2015, 07:10:22 pm »

That's awesome to hear, I wish you the best of luck!  :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 10838 10839 [10840] 10841 10842 ... 13311