Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10915 10916 [10917] 10918 10919 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14542933 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: [🎺💀🎺] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163740 on: October 13, 2015, 09:34:12 pm »

Okay, can someone explain the Undertale hype for me? It's been a cancer unto the nets for the last few days now and people won't shut up about how Undertale is the second coming of Super Ocarina of Deus Half-Shock Goes Home VII and all I see is yet another indie JRPG with pixel graphics and lolsorandom writing. Yet there's obviously got to be something genuinely great about it, because it's ludicrously popular despite having all the trappings of a niche game nobody plays.

Also, how does one spend $50/$20 on a game that is $17.99 for the game-soundtrack bundle? Are there microtransactions or do you live somewhere where the local s-with-slash variant is worth less?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #163741 on: October 13, 2015, 09:37:16 pm »

Probably steam trading cards for the lower amount.
As for the game, afaik from only hearing about it, its like iji: Its got a nifty pacifist mode if you do so, and a not-so pacifist mode.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163742 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:58 pm »

Oh, one more confusing thing: why all the hype now when the game came out nearly a month ago? I don't recall everyone chatting about it in mid-September.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #163743 on: October 13, 2015, 09:43:42 pm »

all I see is yet another indie JRPG with pixel graphics and lolsorandom writing.

Yeah, that's because you haven't even bothered to look at a second of gameplay.

If I seem short about this, it's because most of the complaints about the game rely entirely on zero-experience kneejerk reactions. They take a half-second glance and go "I KNOW THIS GAME ENTIRELY ALREADY".

It's primarily a bullet hell with RPG elements, or perhaps an RPG where most of the gameplay is actually bullet hell. Its humor is... I would best describe it as dense, self-referential the whole way through. Basically the opposite of random. Jim Sterling complained that some gags kept running for too long while giving the game his second 10/10 ever. The game began development in Andrew Hussie's basement and you can sorta tell.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:51:32 pm by Putnam »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #163744 on: October 13, 2015, 10:00:16 pm »

The presentation is very quaint on the surface, but the game has immense hidden depths and creativity.  The writing is... not random at all.  Like everything else about the game, it seems rambling and silly on the surface... you drop your guard to be mildly amused by the dumb humor... and then it knocks you out with some serious shit.  It will shock you with sudden horrifying realizations of failure, and then literally mock and criticize you for them.

It's hard to talk about what really makes Undertale great without spoiling it.  Let's just say the plot has layers, and the in-game plot is only the first layer.  Let that statement sink in.

I'm a short way into my second play-through (EXTREMELY RARE FOR ME) and so many details are falling into place.  And I'm noticing details that I took for granted as random whimsical nonsense the first time, and realizing I'll probably have discovered the proper context to appreciate them the 3rd time though...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:03:29 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163745 on: October 13, 2015, 10:04:00 pm »

Woah. Developed by Andrew Hussie?
Or was that a mettyfor?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #163746 on: October 13, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »

the second most common complaint is that the game criticizes you for making bad choices

and that criticism basically relies on the player being averse to save scumming

but the game wants you to do that i think?

Woah. Developed by Andrew Hussie?
Or was that a mettyfor?

It began development in Andrew Hussie's basement. Not a metaphor. Toby "Radiation" Fox (the creator of the game) was literally in Andrew Hussie's basement when he began work on the game.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:11:28 pm by Putnam »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #163747 on: October 13, 2015, 10:09:54 pm »

the second most common complaint is that the game criticizes you for making bad choices

Really?  What's the first?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #163748 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:04 pm »

that it looks like lolsorandom and/or generic JRPG and/or feels trash

i seriously saw a guy go on a rant about the lack of original mechanics in indie games when undertale was #1 PC game on metacritic

like oh my god this game is basically nothing but original mechanics for 12 hours
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:12:54 pm by Putnam »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163749 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:39 pm »

Yeah, Toby is one of the Homestuck musicians so this totally makes sense.  But it seriously started in Hussie's basement?

10/10 WAAAAAANNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163750 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:23 pm »

I got it. IT'S GREAT. :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163751 on: October 13, 2015, 10:37:41 pm »

I heard that doing a "genocide run" locks you out of ever getting the "best" ending. As a guy who likes to see as many different endings as possible, that's a huge no-no. I'm not a fan of games that (supposedly) punish players like that.

Bear in mind, this is hear-say. I haven't actually fired it up yet because work keeps me busy, and I really really hope that it isn't true.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163752 on: October 13, 2015, 10:40:00 pm »

...No, you need to do the genocide run to get the best ending. I'm not looking forward to it.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163753 on: October 13, 2015, 10:48:02 pm »

I've heard the same things, and I've also heard that doing a hard reset fixes whatever issues arise from that, Sirus. So it's not a "Yeah you never ever ever will get this fixed" issue.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #163754 on: October 13, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »

I've heard the same things, and I've also heard that doing a hard reset fixes whatever issues arise from that, Sirus. So it's not a "Yeah you never ever ever will get this fixed" issue.

not true

I heard that doing a "genocide run" locks you out of ever getting the "best" ending. As a guy who likes to see as many different endings as possible, that's a huge no-no. I'm not a fan of games that (supposedly) punish players like that.

Bear in mind, this is hear-say. I haven't actually fired it up yet because work keeps me busy, and I really really hope that it isn't true.

the game has a very clear anti-completionist message

radiation's previous work was also pretty heavy with the "gamers do horrible things in-game for the sake of completion" theme

there is no completion percentage, no achievements, nothing at all that encourages you to continue playing past any point you feel like stopping except for the promise of more undertale and never make you want to do certain actions just because something told you to do so; this is by design, and Toby's explicitly stated that he will never put in achievements for that exact reason

the genocide run is basically like Spec Ops: The Line but slightly funner, it makes you feel like shit

...No, you need to do the genocide run to get the best ending. I'm not looking forward to it.

not true
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:53:43 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 10915 10916 [10917] 10918 10919 ... 13312