Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11201 11202 [11203] 11204 11205 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14384583 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [🐌] Goat Moms sweet sugary ASS thread. (Happy thread)
« Reply #168030 on: January 31, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »

5e, right?

My main question is whether the DM is letting you use Tides of Chaos whenever the rules say you can or if they're going to go "rawr, RAW says 'DM can', not 'DM must', and I don't want that shit mucking up my plans!"

'cause Wild Magic Sorcerers are a barrel of fun, but for some reason WotC wrote the RAW such that the player has no agency in the use of their primary mechanic. Next time you meet, ask the DM about Tides of Chaos and whether he's going to dictate when you can and can't use it. If he says he is and won't change his mind, make another character. Or respec to Draconic Bloodline. ToC is to 5e WM Sorcs what something like Power Attack would be to a 3.5e martial character if the DM got to arbitrarily decide whether the Fighter was allowed to use Power Attack on any given attack.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168031 on: January 31, 2016, 03:40:41 pm »

I made a D&D character today, im pretty hype :v (even if i still have to think up a backstory)

Aren't you supposed to think of backstory first and then proceed to technical spreadsheets?

At least with the low-RP group I play with, it usually ends up more like the characters starting out blandish and then developing more of a personality and connections to the game world as we play.

On an unrelated note, I had a D & D session yesterday. Went pretty well, especially considering I literally made up one encounter[Involving a chained young Cobalt dragon] on the spot.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168032 on: January 31, 2016, 05:35:21 pm »

Laptisen is back with the gift of sheepvatars. Always pleased for their return.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168033 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:11 pm »

Actually yeah, I noticed that too.  Brightened my mood a bit!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #168034 on: January 31, 2016, 06:51:15 pm »

5e, right?

My main question is whether the DM is letting you use Tides of Chaos whenever the rules say you can or if they're going to go "rawr, RAW says 'DM can', not 'DM must', and I don't want that shit mucking up my plans!"

'cause Wild Magic Sorcerers are a barrel of fun, but for some reason WotC wrote the RAW such that the player has no agency in the use of their primary mechanic. Next time you meet, ask the DM about Tides of Chaos and whether he's going to dictate when you can and can't use it. If he says he is and won't change his mind, make another character. Or respec to Draconic Bloodline. ToC is to 5e WM Sorcs what something like Power Attack would be to a 3.5e martial character if the DM got to arbitrarily decide whether the Fighter was allowed to use Power Attack on any given attack.
You mean the "at any time before you regain use of this ability, the DM may have you roll on the surge table and regain use of the ability afterwards" part, right? I *will* have to ask about that, now you mention it. I'm basically 100% new to dnd

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168035 on: January 31, 2016, 07:08:15 pm »

Everyone's heard this song, or at least an adaptation of it, but I never knew what it was called until today.

5e, right?

That sounds like the sort of thing that would be awesome if you have a really good DM, but terrible in pretty much any other case.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168036 on: January 31, 2016, 07:25:30 pm »

Making a post from my new New 3DS, mainly because I can. Haven't even started playing games, but I still like it.

...I think I'll stick to posting from a normal keyboard, though. This is pretty hard to type on.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168037 on: January 31, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »

Ha, yes.

Have fun with that!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168038 on: January 31, 2016, 07:32:28 pm »

Everyone's heard this song, or at least an adaptation of it, but I never knew what it was called until today.
I didn't know that FLCL (Furikuri) was inspired by this!
More seriously, authentic vocals for that song were something I didn't know I wanted.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168039 on: January 31, 2016, 07:35:00 pm »

I'm gonna be getting two cute little cheetah-colour leopard geckos for 65 bucks :0

With tank and accessories, apparently!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168040 on: January 31, 2016, 09:00:13 pm »

I'm gonna be getting two cute little cheetah-colour leopard geckos for 65 bucks :0

When I read "With tank and accessories", I was thinking something along the lines of you getting two geckos with a Main Battle Tank kind of tank. Brain, why?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #168041 on: January 31, 2016, 09:03:04 pm »

5e, right?

You mean the "at any time before you regain use of this ability, the DM may have you roll on the surge table and regain use of the ability afterwards" part, right? I *will* have to ask about that, now you mention it. I'm basically 100% new to dnd
That sounds like the sort of thing that would be awesome if you have a really good DM, but terrible in pretty much any other case.

Yeah, that. It can be disruptive if the DM doesn't like anything changing their carefully calculated scenarios, but it's really bullshit for a DM to just arbitrarily neuter a character that they allowed to be played because they don't like how it affects balance. Especially with something that's random rather than minmaxed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #168042 on: January 31, 2016, 09:03:34 pm »

When I read "With tank and accessories", I was thinking something along the lines of you getting two geckos with a Main Battle Tank kind of tank. Brain, why?
Because that would be hilarious to see.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168043 on: January 31, 2016, 09:03:44 pm »

Because Leopard?

Somebody needs to shop this: A couple Leopard geckos riding a Leopard tank, not giving a fuck.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #168044 on: January 31, 2016, 10:39:05 pm »

I had a revelation on the way home from work today. I'd known it intellectually before, but because of the way I was raised, with me constantly being belittled and told I was incompetent and wouldn't succeed in life, I never really believed it. I grew up shaping my identity around the idea that I was expendable and not really worth all that much and that I should do whatever I could to make the people around me happy, even if it came at the expense of my personal wellbeing. Since my stepfather, the person who basically carved this cycle into my mind, often got mad at me despite my best efforts, continually making the idea that I was worthless and should do whatever I could to be useful to the people I loved into my mind, but also the twin idea that I wouldn't succeed in being useful no matter how hard I tried because he was impossible to please.

I've gotten past the idea that I can't help people effectively long ago - my karate helped me a lot with that, because I accomplished great things in that dojo that I couldn't just marginalized or wave away. This attitude gradually spread to the other parts of my life, and it got better as a result. But I still had that first idea, that while I could help people I was somehow inherently worth less than others and so should do my best to keep them happy at the expense of myself.

Tonight I came to the realization that it's not wrong to prioritize yourself at one point or another, and that taking risks in order to be happy isn't a thing to be feared and wronged.

I've been hiding the fact that I love my best friend for almost a year and a half now. I did this because in the mental calculus that led me to do this, I had the value of my happiness set as insignificant next to hers. So in order to preserve the most optimal scenario to keep her as happy as I could, ie friendship, I kept my feelings secret, even though this caused me great mental anguish over the time span I did it. I would see her happy or being beautiful doing something and I'd be hit at once by happiness and pain, because to my mind I could never take part of that without irrevocably damaging it somehow, like my happiness would come at the expense of hers.

And now I realize for literally the first time in my life that I'm not an inherently corrupting and inferior being. That I should value myself and be valued in turn by others just like I value them. So I made the resolution that I'm going to confess my feelings, no matter the outcome. The outcome isn't the important bit - it's that I stop marginalizing myself for the hypothetical happiness of others when I'm probably in turn stifling whatever I could've created. It's ... something's about me now, for the second time in my life.

I feel more at peace than I have in months. And considering my recent posts in the sad thread ... I almost think that I needed this recent spate of emotional pain to jar me into action to seek something better.

So in conclusion I feel good. And I'm not going to feel bad about it anymore.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 11201 11202 [11203] 11204 11205 ... 13310