Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11352 11353 [11354] 11355 11356 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14376697 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #170295 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »

We've had a history of literal massacres when it comes to unions. We're... Not very pro-union over here.

Anyway, I like the new humble monthly bundle. I keep the games I want, and gift the other ones away to make someone else's day! I like being able to give things to people, it feels good.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170296 on: March 28, 2016, 08:27:23 pm »

On the flip-side, my limited experience with labor unions in the US hasn't been much better; they were more interested in collecting membership dues than actually representing their members in any capacity. This includes the employer that wounded me badly enough that I nearly lost a finger, because they were running the equipment far faster than intended. I guess the union did save the job of the guy who repeatedly drove a Hi-Lo drunk, and nearly skewered several people one time though... so there's always that?

Granted, this might not have been an actual union, but just some company-controlled "union" program, given that membership wasn't even an option with that employer. I wouldn't put it past them.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #170297 on: March 28, 2016, 08:43:18 pm »

I take it then that over in America the unions aren't as powerful?

That or they're less caring.
bwahahahaha

oh you're serious. I'm sorry.

There are basically are no unions in the US for professional white-collar jobs. And even if there were, I live in a "right to work" state, which means no union shops. And on top of that, the company I work for is headquartered in California...which should count for something, because they sorta have to obey California labor laws, but only to a certain degree when it comes to out-of-state workers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #170298 on: March 28, 2016, 09:06:30 pm »

NZ has unions, but hardly anyone joins them because they don't do anything that isn't already enforced by the government.

There was a piece of sirloin steak in the fridge for some reason, which I fried up for lunch along with a couple of eggs. It is delicious.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170299 on: March 28, 2016, 10:04:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:40:43 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #170300 on: March 28, 2016, 10:12:19 pm »

Honestly, it's not that insane. I'm young, happily single, no kids, I live very close to a public transportation hub, and I'm in good health now. If I can pull down some more money to help make up the last two years of underemployment and get into a better job track than the one I'm in, I'm sure as hell going to take that opportunity. Right now I'm in an entry-level hell-hole where I can't really get to any kind of work that's going to be interesting in the long term.

Yeah, I'd be able to shoulder these hours for a pretty long time without buckling, if I didn't have to balance it with family.  Definitely not long-term sustainable for anyone, though, unless they're doing something they really enjoy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #170301 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:03 pm »

Pfft. TFW you need to write a ~5k word paper but put it off until 6 hours before the deadline to start finding relevant articles, then nail it anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #170302 on: March 28, 2016, 10:56:48 pm »

Honestly, it's not that insane.
Probably. It seems really alien to me though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170303 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:38 pm »

Pfft. TFW you need to write a ~5k word paper but put it off until 6 hours before the deadline to start finding relevant articles, then nail it anyways.
Oh geez, don't.  I don't want examples of that working please no.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170304 on: March 28, 2016, 11:02:01 pm »

That sounds like a holy grail of happiness and I probably shouldn't be encouraged to put things off in order to experience it.

like, more than I already do
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #170305 on: March 28, 2016, 11:02:49 pm »

I mean I basically chained myself to my computer with a coffee maker and bowl of chocolate within reach and didn't waste a single second, so I'm not saying it's a good idea. It just works for me.

3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #170306 on: March 28, 2016, 11:06:01 pm »

I mean I basically chained myself to my computer with a coffee maker and bowl of chocolate within reach and didn't waste a single second, so I'm not saying it's a good idea. It just works for me.

I eventually got to a point where I did this with every paper, and it didn't even make me nervous.  And I always got good grades on papers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #170307 on: March 28, 2016, 11:10:35 pm »

I eventually got to a point where I did this with every paper, and it didn't even make me nervous.  And I always got good grades on papers.

Yeah. I mean, why waste all that time spread out over a couple weeks when you can get it done to the same level of quality in one sitting?

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170308 on: March 28, 2016, 11:30:41 pm »

I may be considering changing my last name, but I did just remember something special.  Our family motto is essentially the chorus of Tubthumping.

Specifically I remember my brother and I, at the darkest part of our lives, noticing this connection and rejoicing in the song.
"Percussus resurgio"...  Not a bad motto.

also a straight translation makes us sound like wights :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170309 on: March 28, 2016, 11:40:57 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:40:27 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 11352 11353 [11354] 11355 11356 ... 13310