Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11441 11442 [11443] 11444 11445 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14383083 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #171630 on: May 06, 2016, 04:47:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Image self-deployed.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #171631 on: May 06, 2016, 05:46:22 pm »

...What?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #171632 on: May 06, 2016, 05:58:06 pm »

It's the seventh
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171633 on: May 06, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »

I glanced in the mirror and something seemed different in a good way.  Checked the scale, then ran the math, what the heck I've actually successfully brought my weight down to my target O_o
I'm honestly surprised...  I thought I was doing an awful job.  But maybe I was just more aware of being sedentary and overreating.  I didn't hike nearly as much as I planned, but it's working!

Also I finally got my sleep schedule back on track yesterday, I feel *so* much better now.
And my friend and I are going to start watching a certain equine tv show again, we have a lot of episodes to catch up on!
And I actually like tofu and black beans, mmm.
and I've mostly replaced beer with decaff hot teas, this stuff is delicious and so strong even I can smell it (BERRIES!)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171634 on: May 06, 2016, 06:22:03 pm »

For me, it's eating rice/bread/potatoes out of boredom.  While working a sedentary job.  If I was burning the carbs off (like when I was in high school) it'd be different.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #171635 on: May 06, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »

What's overeating 0_o

You do realize that overeating isn't really bad unless you're actually eating >5000 calories a day or something.
Overeating is really bad and if you get to >5000 this kills the human D:
You can only get away with that if you plan on being a riot police officer or something and train near every day lol

Within a healthy, balanced diet, a man needs around 10,500kJ (2,500Kcal) a day to maintain his weight. For a woman, that figure is around 8,400kJ (2,000Kcal) a day.

These values can vary depending on age, metabolism and levels of physical activity, among other things.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1126.aspx?categoryid=51
Best way to deal with obesity is to never become obese in the first place
Congrats on gittin fit :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #171636 on: May 06, 2016, 07:23:54 pm »

I knew a Doc who had a patient come in wondering how they got so fat because they were deathly afraid of food, eating only two slices of bread a day. The Doc was as confused too so he asked him if he drank any tea or coffee, to which he replied tea. The Doc asked him whether he had sugars or milk in his tea, to which he replied two sugars. The Doc asked him how much tea he drank a day, to which he replied 40 cups. This identified the issue very quickly

Another one, though I don't know this Doc at all had the same issue but with a guy who just ate loads and loads of satsumas. His line of thinking was that eating satsumas is good for you, so eating more = more good

Overeating will lead to being fat because it is overeating, by definition you are eating more than you use in physical activity so that excess will be stored as fat, sugary and fatty foods will get you faster yet there's not a food that if you overeat it you'll be good

Pls no one try sixty satsuma diet  ;D

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #171637 on: May 06, 2016, 07:40:56 pm »

Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #171638 on: May 06, 2016, 07:43:28 pm »

Fat isn't turned into fat :/
If you ate too much protein and/or fat, you would not get fatter but just be sick from it in other ways.
The only things turned into fat are sugars. Carbs have sugars. Thus carbs make you fat.
No, that doesn't mean carbs are bad. Sugars are also energy, so you need them. Remember, fat is stored energy. Fiber helps with the management of sugars turned into fat and sugars used as well.

If you consume high amounts of energy from your diet, particularly from fat and sugars, but do not burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, much of the surplus energy is then stored by the body as fat.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/obesity/Pages/causes.aspx
The fat you eat is broken down into fatty acids, which is either used by your body or stored as body fat. The proteins and carbohydrates are likewise digested and used or else stored as body fat. Overeat = you get fatter

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171639 on: May 06, 2016, 07:47:43 pm »

Another one, though I don't know this Doc at all had the same issue but with a guy who just ate loads and loads of satsumas. His line of thinking was that eating satsumas is good for you, so eating more = more good
Satsumas?  *checks* eww oranges.  Lemons and limes instead pls.

And how silly, that only works with celery and tofu.
and castor oil
She/they

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171640 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:50 pm »

@Rolan:Go you!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #171641 on: May 06, 2016, 08:26:34 pm »

Satsumas are fab though :D

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #171642 on: May 06, 2016, 08:35:53 pm »

It's almost as though nutrition is a complicated science.

Overeat = you get fatter
This is essentially accurate in 99% of cases. Unless you're going out of your way to only eat food with incredibly low calories (which is unhealthy anyway) you're going to get fatter from overeating.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #171643 on: May 06, 2016, 09:33:45 pm »

Wait, what you said about fats and stuffs before doesn't makes sense. The energy from the sugars is going to be used before the fats will, so even if you eat just enough sugars to give you just enough energy, your fat will never be used.
Let's say you eat three croissants. You'd get a load of carbohydrates and some fats, of which the carbohydrates would be broken down into glucose and the fats into fatty acids. Most all this gets absorbed in the small intestine, entering the circulatory system where some of this glucose is used by the cells of your body to release energy via aerobic respiration, pretty much allowing your body to get shit done. At this point as well the fatty acids are used by the cells of your body like in insulating your neurons or in the construction of cell membranes, with the excess being stored as as triglyceride molecules - making up body fat. Simultaneously, you've just had lots of glucose enter your bloodstream and you can't use it all. This high glucose concentration is detected in the pancreas and insulin begins to be secreted by beta cells in the pancreas, stimulating the storage of this excess glucose as glycogen in the liver. If you eat even more croissants beyond your liver's ability to store this glucose as glycogen, it's just stored as fat.
After some time has passed and you haven't eaten anything, your blood glucose concentration begins to drop lower. Your pancreas detects this again and begins secreting glucagon, initiating the breakdown of glycogen into glucose in the liver for use once more throughout the body. When carbohydrates are scarce enough yet energy demands are not met by fatty acids from food (hence why hikers often carry the phatty bar to save their skin), the body begins breaking down its bodily fat reserves to release energy. If you endured under a croissant famine, your body would eventually even run out of its remaining fat reserves and glucose, at which point it would begin producing glucose for aerobic respiration by breaking down proteins in your muscle cells. If that goes on eventually your vital organs atrophy too much and you die. Diet is a balance after all :D
Moving on you could have a constant supply of sugar and never begin to touch your fat reserves for energy but you'd sooner get diabetes. This is where diet is especially important (well, for most people it's not - it's mostly relevant for athletes and soldiers for whom reliable performance is paramount. For everyone else it's ""just"" vitally important for regular health). High carbohydrate diet = Go longer without touching fat reserves, slower regular release of energy regulated by the Pancreas; High protein diet = Shorter higher burst of energy, slower thereafter eating into those fat reserves. Best to have balanced obv.
In regards to your post, if you overeat and your blood glucose, liver stores and fatty acids are never scarce your body's fat stores will go mostly untouched and you'll get a net gain in body fat from anything that gets stored. So you're kinda right

Also, not what we were taught in school :P
When it comes to education results may vary and curriculums are subject to dickery, political and lobbied. Sometimes it's just a case of simplification to make it easier to grasp/get pass grades/dumb down students
Like how in the UK our kids weren't taught how to code, with our IT instead teaching how to use Microsoft products. 10 secs guess as to who lobbied for this

Overeat = you get fatter
This is essentially accurate in 99% of cases. Unless you're going out of your way to only eat food with incredibly low calories (which is unhealthy anyway) you're going to get fatter from overeating.
100% of cases, if you overeat and gain more than you can burn, for as long as thermodynamics don't break that energy doesn't disappear

*EDIT
Oh yeah and fibre doesn't manage sugars. Soluble fibre may reduce cholesterol and makes poo softer, stopping constipation. Insoluble fibre acts as roughage, helping keep food moving through the gut. It also helps people avoid feeling hungry, useful if you're losing weight/are a fan of oats/in croissant famine
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:47:45 pm by Loud Whispers »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #171644 on: May 06, 2016, 09:34:52 pm »

It's almost as though nutrition is a complicated science.

WHO KNEW
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 11441 11442 [11443] 11444 11445 ... 13310