Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11637 11638 [11639] 11640 11641 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14380640 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: [*KHEZUNOISES*] What is even a whole orange (Happy thread)
« Reply #174570 on: August 15, 2016, 09:26:50 pm »

What exactly is Cyberpunk? Is it essentially an environment with very developed systems for stuff like hologram, AI, VR, and tons of virtual stuffs?

A good example of a cyberpunk game that's free (don't own any paid-for cyberpunk games) is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. While a lot of the lore's centered around the zombies and other things infesting the world, the few glimpses of the rest of the world paint a disturbingly realistic picture of what could be, if we ever get that technology.

To actually answer the question though, there's a lot of ways to go about it. There's the fun, fuck-everything variant that I've seen in a few places, which is basically a less sci-fi, slighty less serious version of Border Lands. There's an actual guess at what could be, where the rich are rich for reasons possibly tied to being able to afford cybernetics and keeping them from the poor, and is much more dystopian and serious. There's an intentionally beyond-reality dystopian version of the world, where the general public can get cybernetics, but the government/other equivalent is corrupt/generally malevolent. And so much more, I could go on all day. Generally though, they all tend to be more dystopian than anything, cybernetics tends to play a big part of the plot, and there's some part of society that generally needs to be fought.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #174571 on: August 15, 2016, 10:58:39 pm »

I'm in 4th year college and I'm learning to be waterproof during the rainy seasons! :v Hooray ASIA! :'(
Spoiler: In internetspeak (click to show/hide)

In other news, I wish my phone could use Pokemon Go (yay OLD PHONES \o/) because ALL THESE WATER POKEMON must be EVERYWHERE. :I
And I live on a mountain range. Woooo mountain city. We lack water resources other than our local swimming pool and park!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:01:40 pm by Tiruin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174572 on: August 15, 2016, 11:00:34 pm »

Send some of your rain across the Pacific, we need it :<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #174573 on: August 15, 2016, 11:06:24 pm »

What exactly is Cyberpunk? Is it essentially an environment with very developed systems for stuff like hologram, AI, VR, and tons of virtual stuffs?

A good example of a cyberpunk game that's free (don't own any paid-for cyberpunk games) is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. While a lot of the lore's centered around the zombies and other things infesting the world, the few glimpses of the rest of the world paint a disturbingly realistic picture of what could be, if we ever get that technology.

To actually answer the question though, there's a lot of ways to go about it. There's the fun, fuck-everything variant that I've seen in a few places, which is basically a less sci-fi, slighty less serious version of Border Lands. There's an actual guess at what could be, where the rich are rich for reasons possibly tied to being able to afford cybernetics and keeping them from the poor, and is much more dystopian and serious. There's an intentionally beyond-reality dystopian version of the world, where the general public can get cybernetics, but the government/other equivalent is corrupt/generally malevolent. And so much more, I could go on all day. Generally though, they all tend to be more dystopian than anything, cybernetics tends to play a big part of the plot, and there's some part of society that generally needs to be fought.
I don't really see Cataclysm: DDA as cyberpunk.  Maybe the backstory is, but in general I'd describe it more as an apocalypse with mad scientists.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:09:28 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174574 on: August 15, 2016, 11:08:28 pm »

It is definitely not cyberpunk, but it has some very gentle nudgings towards it-Namely, the cybernetics and mutations. Its like cyberpunk, but... Fairly reasonable, actually.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174575 on: August 15, 2016, 11:16:14 pm »

cyberpunk is dirty streets and neon lights and flying cars and murder in the brothels of light and sound and sweaty men in their basement in a wife beater jacked into the Virtual Reality internet and skintight leather outfits and glowing pistols and jackboot thugs wearing black motorcycle helmets in the pay of corporations in control of everything and human life being cheap
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #174576 on: August 15, 2016, 11:24:49 pm »

There's nothing more adorable than a 1.4 year old lazing around in her bed in the morning.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #174577 on: August 15, 2016, 11:28:41 pm »

Remembering how I accidentally got myself muted, I felt nostiagic for the game Wrath of Earth again.

Turns out I've gotten way better at setting up good dosbox configs.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #174578 on: August 16, 2016, 01:46:17 am »

Cataclysm mainly takes place in suburbia, small towns, and the nearby countryside, so the key cyberpunk elements of Towering Concrete Walls and Deep Running Gutters is absent.
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #174579 on: August 16, 2016, 02:17:26 am »

I just finished the Wheel of Time series. That was the wildest ride I've read in a long time. During the last few books I couldn't stop muttering "holy shit holy crap holy fuck" over and over. 10/10.

Now to prepare for the post-book depression.
Nah, now you can start your first re-read since you'll have forgotten most of the first few volumes by now.
After that, you can start your second re-read since you'll have forgotten most of the first few volumes by then.

There are neither beginnings nor endings to rereading the Wheel of Time.
GAHH ;~; Reminds me of how we ran out of stock for the next books (since I was reading it waaaay back when they were just churning out) and it stopped at Dagger of..something, and now I recall how much fun I loved poking the changing (and totally misleading) costumes on the book cover. :'( Rand al'Thor!
mayhap I shall get back into it one day :< But that shall be a day too soon and too far apart from now.

Send some of your rain across the Pacific, we need it :<
eep ._. I meant that in jest! Really hope you're doing ok there halfway around the world. I love how technology is able to bridge these kinds of things now. :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #174580 on: August 16, 2016, 02:37:39 am »

California's just being California. Covered in desert and dry scrub, quite a bit of it. Super bad drought in recent years though.

The weather up here around Spokane, the eastern Washington/Idaho panhandle border, has been ridiculously moist this year. Constant rain all through June and into July. As a matter of fact, a funnel cloud reportedly formed somewhere around the Spokane valley recently. Wed give the rain back but its too late. Now that all this vegetation has grown we'll all burn to death in the firestorms next year.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #174581 on: August 16, 2016, 02:49:49 am »

It's been pretty damp down here in lovely gray coastal Oregon/Washington as well.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #174582 on: August 16, 2016, 06:17:17 am »

I just finished the Wheel of Time series. That was the wildest ride I've read in a long time. During the last few books I couldn't stop muttering "holy shit holy crap holy fuck" over and over. 10/10.

Now to prepare for the post-book depression.
Nah, now you can start your first re-read since you'll have forgotten most of the first few volumes by now.

After that, you can start your second re-read since you'll have forgotten most of the first few volumes by then.

There are neither beginnings nor endings to rereading the Wheel of Time.

Now you know my hell. And, Light help me, my heaven.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174583 on: August 16, 2016, 08:57:41 am »

This reminds me of a discussion in Roller's Block about cyberpunk restaurant management, starting from about here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #174584 on: August 16, 2016, 12:06:11 pm »

cyberpunk is dirty streets and neon lights and flying cars and murder in the brothels of light and sound and sweaty men in their basement in a wife beater jacked into the Virtual Reality internet and skintight leather outfits and glowing pistols and jackboot thugs wearing black motorcycle helmets in the pay of corporations in control of everything and human life being cheap
+1

This great description of cyberpunk made me happy today.

Although this is really just William Gibson's flavor of cyberpunk that pioneered the genre, and is most often immitated.  Usually described as "High Tech.  Low life."  Basically noir in a high-tech setting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 11637 11638 [11639] 11640 11641 ... 13310