Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12230 12231 [12232] 12233 12234 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14522055 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: [Ye] Welcome to the bunzone nerd! (Happy thread)
« Reply #183465 on: October 08, 2017, 01:12:04 pm »

nanowrimo is coming, get hype

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #183466 on: October 08, 2017, 01:46:54 pm »

No need, already quite thoroughly hyped and been posting frequently on their forum during prep-time.

About time for our NaNoWriMo2017 thread, come to think of it
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183467 on: October 08, 2017, 01:54:23 pm »

No need, already quite thoroughly hyped and been posting frequently on their forum during prep-time.

About time for our NaNoWriMo2017 thread, come to think of it

the hour approaches, ready your sword!

I wonder who will make the thread this year.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #183468 on: October 08, 2017, 01:59:58 pm »

Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183469 on: October 08, 2017, 02:48:34 pm »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #183470 on: October 08, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183471 on: October 08, 2017, 08:30:07 pm »

ayygers
This made me laff so much I went to the effort of going back a few pages just to voice my appreciation of it. Bravo.
And this coming from someone who hasn't even seen or read any of the source material for the giant-robot-things being referenced- I've always been more interested in the drink of the same name. :))   

Got a small stack of old Nat Geos. One from 1915, one 1916, one 1940, and about 2/3rds of 1918. Interesting stuff.
Holy crap, that is an amazing find. Niiiiice.
Old Nat Geos are always fascinating as it is, but I don't think I've read one that was anywhere near that old. Even ones from the '50s-'80s are fascinating for the different world they give a glimpse of.     
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #183472 on: October 09, 2017, 01:11:50 am »

Just saw the new Blade Runner.

I'm happy it's not a shameless franchise cash grab.  They took a classic movie and made a big budget follow-up with zero mass appeal.  I'm honestly shocked at the integrity of it.

It's very faithful to the style of the first, while being its own thing.  Aesthetically, it's the bleakest portrayal of a cyberpunk setting I've ever seen.  They really went out of their way to make you feel it deeply, crushingly.  This is something that's really missing from most cyberpunk in cinema - too often the setting building only cares about making sure you understand everything is dense cityscape and super flashy high-tech.

Much of it's done through the pacing and sound work.  It's incredibly slow-paced for a current Hollywood film, not just in movement of plot, but shots are drawn out several seconds longer than we're used to.  And there's way more silence, too.  Long periods of dead silence.

I'm not as sure how I feel about the plot... it wasn't all too deep or unpredictable, unless I'm missing something.  But I feel like that wasn't the point.  I think the point was to leave the audience digesting how they felt about the experience, not what they thought about the story.  I wish more films did this.  Too many feel like they're rushing to get through the plot points as efficiently as possible, and get you out of the theater.

I love that they did this, even when they had to know how unpopular it would be.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #183473 on: October 09, 2017, 01:26:50 am »

I think a big part of the experience is the long shots of Gosling's expressionless face. We don't see exactly what he's looking at or what he's thinking or feeling about it, so much is left for the audience. We're given the pieces of the puzzle and expected to reach the same conclusion as the character rather than just outright told what the meaning is.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183474 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:30 am »

I need to watch that ASAP.

My Happy: I am feeling surprisingly happy and well (both physically and mentally) today. It's almost disturbing. I thought I'd lost my grip on Happiness for the foreseeable future... I have been sleeping okay again, but I think it's more than that. Perhaps it's just my diet getting even healthier than it has been lately. *shrug*

I missed the store I went into the city to visit (a craft store, I wanted to buy fabric dye) due to daylight savings bullshit, but rather than let that get me down or drive me into a rage (as DST so often does), I decided to make the most of being in the city and get a ridiculously cheap all-you-can-eat meal from my favourite of the few Indian restaurants offering that deal in the CBD.

Two servings of absolute deliciousness.
If I wasn't feeling excessively cheerful already, I would be after a budget-friendly meal like that. So much food probably would have cost me over $24 at a "normal" Indian restaurant, but in this case it set me back just $6.50 ^-^
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183475 on: October 09, 2017, 04:37:32 am »

I'm happy it's not a shameless franchise cash grab.  They took a classic movie and made a big budget follow-up with zero mass appeal.  I'm honestly shocked at the integrity of it.
Yeah immediately after I saw it I had a tween behind me get a call from his friend and start harping on about how shit it was.
Frankly I was about ready to cut loose on him.

In other news re: plot
Spoiler: Spoilers-lite (click to show/hide)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #183476 on: October 09, 2017, 08:43:43 am »

Yeah immediately after I saw it I had a tween behind me get a call from his friend and start harping on about how shit it was.
Frankly I was about ready to cut loose on him.

Yeah, I've heard people express some passionate dislike for it also.  I had trouble stomaching it, too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #183477 on: October 09, 2017, 08:51:42 am »

Damn, guess I'm gonna have to see it after all. Wasn't expecting much in the age of shit reboots.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #183478 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:43 am »

Damn, guess I'm gonna have to see it after all. Wasn't expecting much in the age of shit reboots.
Don’t set up hopes, that’s how you get disappointed.

Though I guess don’t be too pessimistic either.

I guess the bottom line is to just watch a movie and judge it only after you’re done watching or it’s really bad.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183479 on: October 09, 2017, 07:20:33 pm »

I'd really like to see a trend toward more original IPs instead of adaptations of books, overseas films/animations, and remakes of classic stuff... but I have heard good things about the Blade Runner sequel. I'll still probably wait until it's out of theaters to see it though, because I'm a butt who doesn't like spending money when I don't have to.

Also, hi! Kinda not been around these parts for a while. Still alive though!

Just finished surviving my 31st trip around the Sun, and this year's been the best one in a while. Work's been good; after the uncertainty and inconsistency I'd been dealing with, a bit back I landed an indefinite contract with 100% flexible hours and scheduling, plus no conflicts with other contracts, which makes the whole hunting for contracts part of freelancing extremely stable. My debt has basically all been settled, and I'm finally able to save up for my name-change type paperwork and such, and a long-awaited move to Canada! Been able to put some sex-health-related worries I've had since I was a kiddo to rest as well, which was a huge relief. With help, I've been working through a lot of my mental-health-type issues too, and somewhere in the process learned to manage my anxiety, and be genuine and direct with folks about stuff instead of withdrawing, lying to smooth shit over, or being a passive aggressive turd. This might not sound like much, but it's a pretty huge change in my life. My interpersonal relationships have gotten a lot more healthy, genuine, and emotionally fulfilling in the process too. In the last few months I've had a bunch of unaffiliated friends tell me I was a positive influence in their life, or that I inspired or gave them the courage to do a thing they'd always wanted to do, or helped them grow or heal in important ways, and... shit, it was just really fuckin' validating and heartwarming. I feel like I'm finally becoming the sort of person I've wanted to be, and I'mma keep on trekking in that direction in the year to come.

Got off my bottom and finally started dating again too. Met a brilliant and compassionate artist/animator/game developer/general nerd some time back. They've become one of my dearest friends, and one of the most fulfilling and mutually transformative relationships of my life. We share enough important cultural touchstones in our lives that we can bond, with enough differences that we constantly bring new things to each other's lives too. They've helped me heal emotionally after a bad patch, helped me find self-esteem and comfort in being trans in ways I was still anxious about, inspire me to work hard to make the things I want out of life into a reality, support and appreciate being supported by me, have indirectly encouraged me to grow in so many big and small ways, and... gosh, I just feel incredibly blessed to know and be with 'em. And knowing that I can do the same for them is just so dang good and important to me too! Kinda geeked/nervous that this weekend, I finally get a good chance to ask another very sweet and adorable poly friend of mine if he wants to go pick apples and have a cuddles-and-anime or cuddles-and-video-games date night some time too. I think he's been hinting that he would, and man oh man I hope so! Finally understanding my whole quasiplatonic/demi orientation, and being comfy in my polyamory (and being with someone who is too) has brought a lot of good into my life. One step closer to my nefarious plan, of having a little horde of some of my favorite people to be close to and make nice food for and all that good biz. X3

Er... so yeah. I've got a lot of things to be happy for, I guess! And I wanted to share some of those good feels with y'all. Hopefully that works as a way of checking in too, for any folks who wondered what I was up to this last bit! Hoping to get caught up on some of what y'all have been up to too, so you'll probs see me around.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:23:36 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 12230 12231 [12232] 12233 12234 ... 13311