Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12622 12623 [12624] 12625 12626 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14373537 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: [Why] Sssoomebody once told me- (Happy thread)
« Reply #189345 on: March 02, 2019, 05:01:00 pm »

My apologies, of course you are correct.  There is of course, a single exception:  Western gaijin raised persons of Japanese pedigree, who are ethnically Japanese, but not natively culturally so. (But who still wish they could be REAL Japanese.)  These have a special designation, even in Japan.

:D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189346 on: March 02, 2019, 05:02:28 pm »

I've heard the term "banana" before, but that's a slightly broader categorization.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189347 on: March 02, 2019, 05:19:31 pm »

I called someone a dildo-snorking weeaboo once, as a means of differentiating them from other, lesser weeaboos who were also present. I assume this is not standard terminology.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189348 on: March 02, 2019, 05:27:31 pm »

Weeaboo (a.k.a Wapanese) is an English slang used to describe a person (typically of non-Asian descent) who prefers Japan and all things in Japanese over one's indigenous culture.

doesn't this sound exactly like say, white people who run around looking like they're out of hip-hop videos, or like non-Americans who only like American stuff rather than their indigenous culture?

One of the most common attitudes here among dumbasses here is "everything American is better". Which is, USAboo i guess? So, Weeaboos here are called out for having sold out, but not because they sold out, but because they sold out to the wrong thing, when they "should have" sold out to Americanized Hip-Hop culture like the rest of the drones.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:31:04 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189349 on: March 02, 2019, 05:29:01 pm »

Weeaboo (a.k.a Wapanese) is an English slang used to describe a person (typically of non-Asian descent) who prefers Japan and all things in Japanese over one's indigenous culture.

doesn't this sound exactly like say, white people who run around looking like they're out of hip-hop videos, or like non-Americans who only like American stuff rather than their indigenous culture?

We have terms for those as well, though I am told they are considered less ok to use these days. Weeaboos are Japanese-centric, specifically.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #189350 on: March 02, 2019, 05:50:34 pm »

can't we just like the things we like /imagine
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189351 on: March 02, 2019, 05:56:34 pm »

No, you like what the people in your home town/country tell you to like, and if you like other stuff you're a filthy <whatever>

Another problem i have with "weeaboo" is the same as with the anti-furry-hate. It's usually other, equally despised by the mainstream sub-cultures "punching down" at what they consider an easy target. It has obvious parallels with one explanation for why poor whites hate so much on poor blacks: by having someone lower on the status-ladder you can pretend that you aren't on the very bottom.

The actual mainstream isn't making much if any distinction between weeaboos and the gamer/geek culture that calls others weeaboos. It's also handy in that the term weeaboo can be a racist dismissal of Japanese culture in general, while pretending to not be racist at all by dog-whistling that you're only "concerned" by the inauthentic nature of white Japanese-stuff fans.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:02:08 pm by Reelya »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189352 on: March 02, 2019, 05:59:38 pm »

No, you like what the people in your home town/country tell you to like, and if you like other stuff you're a filthy <whatever>

Another problem i have with "weeaboo" is the same as with the anti-furry-hate. It's usually other, equally despised by the mainstream sub-cultures "punching down" at what they consider an easy target. It has obvious parallels with one explanation for why poor whites hate so much on poor blacks: by having someone lower on the status-ladder you can pretend that you aren't on the very bottom.

tbh I don't get furry hate and people saying it's literally just a sexual thing. Most self-personifying things typically have a sexual aspect.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189353 on: March 02, 2019, 06:04:25 pm »

Yeah, that's why I'm saying it's more of a thing where low-status subcultures can feel better by having an even-lower-status subculture to mock.

e.g. the same people aware of and mocking furries for being "sexual" probably fap to Jessica Nigiri cosplaying their favorite game/anime/superhero characters.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:07:23 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189354 on: March 02, 2019, 06:05:07 pm »

I've found weeaboo to be a term to describe a person who outwardly identifies as an expert connoisseur on Japanese culture because of their fluency in 3 words they saw on the internet and they watched like all of Naruto and buy pocky from the international section of the supermarket. This represents not only an unhealthy fixation on a nonexistent fantasy, but also is undoubtedly disrespectful to the culture at hand. I've seen suburban kids with a wall scroll try to lecture actual Japanese people on their culture.

If you are a person who prefers/is a fan of Japanese culture and you also have the knowledge and experience to justify that decision you are not, in fact, a weeaboo. Like what you like, but if what a person likes is deliberately bastardizing other cultures for their own amusement, that person is the problem there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:06:38 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189355 on: March 02, 2019, 06:06:29 pm »

See you mention pocky but

my favorite flavor is impossible to find in the states. milk-coffee pocky where did you go </3

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189356 on: March 02, 2019, 06:07:08 pm »

See you mention pocky but

my favorite flavor is impossible to find in the states. milk-coffee pocky where did you go </3

I like me some pocky. It's like a kit-kat on a stick, and it has flavors.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189357 on: March 02, 2019, 06:11:33 pm »

oh man

kit-kat totally has flavors.

Just not in the states. Ever tried green tea? It's heaven.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189358 on: March 02, 2019, 06:12:09 pm »

oh man

kit-kat totally has flavors.

Just not in the states. Ever tried green tea? It's heaven.

That's right, I'd heard that somewhere. I wonder if I can order fancy kitkats online.

Awwww yeah you can

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189359 on: March 02, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »

Or, possibly, it's because some people end up idolizing and fashioning themselves after horribly removed-from-reality fantasy versions of their chosen utopia.

I knew a guy who legitimately just thought Japan was a neat place. He learned the language, watched old black-and-white samurai classics, and actually got into the real cultural nuances and problems that thread their way through modern Japanese society.

I knew another guy who thought Japan was the tits because ninja honor was the highest ethical code and should be the foundation for all progressive establishments. He didn't have a katana though, actually. Not that I can remember.

I've also known a fair few Norwegians who desperately wanted to live the American dream of being a cowboy out on the range. In the late 2000's.

My formulation was obviously a bit unclear, but I didn't really mean any disrespect by referring to her sister that way. I mean, sure, I've known people who fell to the dark side of The Weeb in one way or another, but at the moment she's the only other person I know in Norway who comprehends what kimchi is. And she calls herself that as well, so meh.
Pages: 1 ... 12622 12623 [12624] 12625 12626 ... 13310