Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12651 12652 [12653] 12654 12655 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14551831 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [EGG] Endlessly bullying robots for eggs (Happy thread)
« Reply #189780 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:30 am »

It's fine, they do that. Particularly when it's off. It's a bunch of flexible plastic poles with nylon/wire loosely strapped along the tops and bottoms. Very easy to set back up.

Just funny timing XD
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189781 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:49 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:45:57 am by dragdeler »
let

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #189782 on: April 23, 2019, 10:03:54 am »

I know the kind of fence Rolan means. They're (very very lightly) electrified, so horses intensely dislike them and generally respect them, but a particularly impassioned toddler could probably knock one over. Means that if a horse gets spooked and careens off into the fence they don't hurt themselves. If you wanted to fence a horse up, it'd totally be possible, just not very good for it if it did something stupid involving crashing into the walls.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #189783 on: April 23, 2019, 10:20:19 am »

I think those large animals like horses and cows aren't really held back by fences as much as one'd think, they largely consent to the world order we impose on them.
Maybe you don't mean consent to mean what I think it means or maybe you anthropomorphize animal thinking a lot, but consent is a very specific word that implies something about a mind, it requires these animals to completely understand what's happening to them. I don't think that's true at all. A horse may consciously accept being corralled in a small area by being ambivalent and not trying to escape, they may even be indefinitely comfortable if their other needs are fulfilled and they were raised in this situation, but that doesn't mean it understands it's being imprisoned on a high level, the same way a person in a similar situation would, and if that's the case it can't consent. Submission isn't the same thing as consent.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:24:46 am by Parsely »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #189784 on: April 23, 2019, 10:25:28 am »

Wait, Rolan7's a vegan now?

Also, happy cakeday!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189785 on: April 23, 2019, 10:39:36 am »

Hm?  Nah, there are some cheap chunks of beef in the stew.  It really does taste better this morning, maybe because I stirred it last night then it cooked a bit more overnight on "warm".  I get most of my protein from nuts (heheh) and beans, but I do eat meat occasionally.  A little goes a long way.

@Parsely that's a very important distinction that I wouldn't have quite caught, I'm glad you pointed it out!  Just because the horses are taken care of and don't really try to escape, doesn't make them free.  While I'm okay with humane ownership of animals, it's good to understand what that means.

That fence is exactly like Arx says, yeah.  It sends a mild shock about once a second, someone yesterday touched it and received a "surprisingly mild" sting.  It really doesn't stop the horses, just dissuades them.  The pair who crashed through this morning are pretty young, and were galloping around beside each other, sorta playing chicken.  Once out, they stopped and munched on the grass beside the gap until we led them back in.

(I was vegetarian for a few years in college, though sometimes I ate fish my dad caught out of politeness.  I'd also eat eggs pretty often, they're probably the laziest way to keep vegetarian :P  It's really not much of a challenge once you adjust to it, in fact eating non-fish meat was... tricky, for a while afterwards)

Edit2: I do know that the eggs I eat now are cruelty free, at least, they come from the farm's chickens ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:46:41 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189786 on: April 23, 2019, 11:03:08 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:45:53 am by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189787 on: April 23, 2019, 12:32:44 pm »

It's a meaningless distinction in a practical sense, like distinguishing whether or not a toddler's room is painted baby blue or light blue. There is a literal difference, but it changes nothing under the specific circumstances.

Not that the finer points of consent are meaningless in a general sense, but a horse is a 2000 pound animal, and intelligent among animals to boot. It is definitely making a choice, and it is accepting its situation. Consent may not be the textbook definition of what is going on there, but it's perfectly reasonable to say that it is consenting to be fed, groomed, shoed, and stabled.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189788 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:38 pm »

After sepding a lot of vecation time learining I finaly understand the course metirial! I think, kind of, but it still much better then how much I understood last lecture.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189789 on: April 23, 2019, 03:34:24 pm »

After sepding a lot of vecation time learining I finaly understand the course metirial! I think, kind of, but it still much better then how much I understood last lecture.
I'm so sorry but i laughed alot at all of the spelling errors in your post about higher education. I'm glad that you were able to learn new things and I hope you continue to do so. :):):)

Was the course about anything neat? Care to share?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #189790 on: April 23, 2019, 03:36:42 pm »

The course was obviously about horses and fence based consent.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189791 on: April 23, 2019, 04:08:14 pm »

I'm so sorry but i laughed alot at all of the spelling errors in your post about higher education. I'm glad that you were able to learn new things and I hope you continue to do so. :):):)

Was the course about anything neat? Care to share?

Yeah, luckly no one give me score on my English spelling and everyone who did just gave up.

The course is about Lie Algebras, not my prefered subject I have done this degree but after I saw how Algebric Geometry looks like everything feels neat for me.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #189792 on: April 23, 2019, 04:48:14 pm »

The course was obviously about horses and fence based consent.

Sadly, horses never ask if the fence wants to be used to scratch their itchy hindquarters.

They dont ask the trees either. Those poor tree saplings...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #189793 on: April 23, 2019, 05:21:00 pm »

The course is about Lie Algebras,
Were they teaching you to lie? Which variety of "lie" is it?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189794 on: April 23, 2019, 05:50:55 pm »

The course is about Lie Algebras,
Were they teaching you to lie? Which variety of "lie" is it?
I mean, it's clear from the name, the course is about how to lie about math.
Pages: 1 ... 12651 12652 [12653] 12654 12655 ... 13312