Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12699 12700 [12701] 12702 12703 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14509102 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190500 on: July 20, 2019, 09:07:54 pm »

Isn't caffeine literally poision that we're immune to only because the dose, being designed for insects, is too low for us? That spider must be so close to death
I did hear the same thing from my housemate the other day, at least.  Sounds right.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190501 on: July 20, 2019, 09:09:39 pm »

Friggin' weak-ass spider can't handle their drugs.   

Edit: I'm finally watching The Thing. It's bloody good.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:33:13 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #190502 on: July 21, 2019, 01:41:28 am »

Friggin' weak-ass spider can't handle their drugs.   

Edit: I'm finally watching The Thing. It's bloody good.

The original, John Carpenter’s, or the remake/prequel of John Carpenter’s?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190503 on: July 21, 2019, 02:30:19 am »

Uh, the original, I believe - from 1982.
Didn't realise there was a remake, but now you mention it I may have read something about that somewhere.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190504 on: July 21, 2019, 04:23:35 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:34:55 am by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #190505 on: July 21, 2019, 04:50:48 am »

I was going to write an ellaborate retort but I have nor the time nor the inclination. But very briefly.

- Everything is poison. The dose makes the poison.

- Marihuana doesn't have a LD because it's not a single substance. It 's active ingredients do have a LD50.

- you're unlikely to reach the LD50 of either marihuana or coffee ( or redbull - your math is wrong).

- obviously you can have undesirable effects long before LD50. The actual impact of those effects in Marihuana is left as an exercise to the reader. But with caffeine, considering 90% of the population in western countries consume wmit without the social order breaking down, I think calling it a "hard drug"  is asinine
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:53:19 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190506 on: July 21, 2019, 04:51:32 am »

Uh, the original, I believe - from 1982.
Didn't realise there was a remake, but now you mention it I may have read something about that somewhere.
The practical effects FUCKED MY GODDAMN WORLD OVER when I was like... well, I know it was before I started school, but obviously after it came out, so somewhere between age 2 and 6 I saw bits and pieces of that fucking movie when I couldn't sleep and would chill in the hallway watching whatever was on.
Isn't caffeine literally poision that we're immune to only because the dose, being designed for insects, is too low for us? That spider must be so close to death
I know Fry should have been dead from spending 300 tricky dick fun bucks on 100 cups of coffee, but it's not guaranteed that something which kills insects will have the same effect on spiders, could be more lethal, could be waaaaay less.

I'd kinda expect that sort of interaction to weed itself out if you have insect eaters consuming stuff that poisons them secondhand.

I can't think of a scenario (excluding absolutely massive doses consumed by some creature which is mostly or totally unaffeced by said poison yet kills the animals that manage to eat it) where we are regularly eating some animal and some number of them had been weakened by eating something poisonous which then poisons us.

Though, if you got a kick out of thinking about all the toxic stuff we put in and on food because we like the way it feels when it is trying to kill us; or perhaps if you never considered that those movies with the implacable murderer just casually following you are actually just demonstrating what it was like being hunted by humans, you should check out some of the Humanity! Fuck Yeah! (or HFY) greentext collections or whatnot.

Basically it's like a really clever sort of "normal ordinarily powerful alien turns out to be a godlike superbeing elsewhere" (Viltrumites and Kryptonians as a couple examples) set of story hooks.

"I hear they breathe oxygen and if you cut open their outer membrane it can automatically reduce fluid loss and go about repairing itself!"

'Ok man, that's just stupid with the oxygen thing, why not go all the way to flourine compounds if you wanna really make shit up?'

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190507 on: July 21, 2019, 05:13:28 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:34:19 am by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #190508 on: July 21, 2019, 05:27:31 am »

So facts dont matter, only feelings matter? 🤣🤣🤣

The number of times you shifted the goalposts in that post is astounding. Lets do something: instead of asking me for references, do your own homework and google all that stuff yourself.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190509 on: July 21, 2019, 05:58:33 am »

I can't think of a scenario (excluding absolutely massive doses consumed by some creature which is mostly or totally unaffeced by said poison yet kills the animals that manage to eat it) where we are regularly eating some animal and some number of them had been weakened by eating something poisonous which then poisons us.

Mercury. Little fish get contaminated by industrial waste, slightly bigger fish eat the little fish and the mercury accumulates because it takes a really long time for the body to flush it out, even bigger fish eat the slightly-bigger fish and more accumulation happens, and then we eat the bigger fish. And if we eat enough of it, we get heavy metal poisoning.

It's actually a pretty big problem in the Faroe islands, because the pilot whales that make up an important part of their diet have gotten so full of mercury the last few decades that there are dangerously high incidence rates of mercury poisoning and birth defects.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190510 on: July 21, 2019, 06:08:48 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:34:25 am by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190511 on: July 21, 2019, 06:26:43 am »

...in a sitting? You're definitely going to be struggling to gulp that all down, I put away roughly 1 liter of water per hour when I'm working out and sweating out of glands I didn't even know I had... I know that thirst has no curfew, but it does have its limits.

Especially for Redbull. Blech.

Water has an LD-50 too, but it becomes solid at roughly 0 Celsius so I guess it's not wrong to call it a hard drug... But that's for ingestion, inhalation needs a signficantly smaller amount.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #190512 on: July 21, 2019, 06:39:06 am »

Mercury. Little fish get contaminated by industrial waste, slightly bigger fish eat the little fish and the mercury accumulates because it takes a really long time for the body to flush it out, even bigger fish eat the slightly-bigger fish and more accumulation happens, and then we eat the bigger fish. And if we eat enough of it, we get heavy metal poisoning.

It's actually a pretty big problem in the Faroe islands, because the pilot whales that make up an important part of their diet have gotten so full of mercury the last few decades that there are dangerously high incidence rates of mercury poisoning and birth defects.

Or just herring in Sweden. Baltic Sea herring is basically forbidden to sell in most of the world for that reason, and the the Swedish state health institute recommends only feeding herring to children once or twice a year because of it.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190513 on: July 21, 2019, 06:45:34 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:34:30 am by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #190514 on: July 21, 2019, 09:23:10 am »

Oh DMT shows no oral LD-50. Maybe people should go parrot that talking point so some annoyed scientist can give us some numbers on that  ;D.

*twitch*
LD50 Mouse iv 32 mg/kg
Lewis, R.J. Sr. (ed) Sax's Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials. 11th Edition. Wiley-Interscience, Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken, NJ. 2004., p. 1383

from HSDB
LD50 Mouse ip 47 mg/kg

Lewis, R.J. Sr. (ed) Sax's Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials. 11th Edition. Wiley-Interscience, Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken, NJ. 2004., p. 1383

Pages: 1 ... 12699 12700 [12701] 12702 12703 ... 13311